Comping Multitrack Takes

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I often record instruments from more than one source. For example, I may have both a mic on an amp and a direct box for guitar recordings.

I am new to the comping feature, but in the manual it only talks about using the feature for mono tracks, like voice.

I would love to be able to comp 8 tracks of drums with one 'swipe' as the manual says.

Has anyone tried this? Is it possible to link 8 tracks together and treat them as one 'instrument' for purposes of comping?
Sworkshop

"The tide of amateurism cannot but recede, until there will be left only the mechanical device and the professional executant." - John Philip Sousa, 1906

Does the Comp Groups feature get you what you need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFtPEPKqaU
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

Very close perhaps, but he is still comping one track at a time. I guess what I want to do is have two sets of 8 drum tracks and put them into two separate folders then do my swiping on the folder track, rather than having to fumble over 16 individual tracks, swiping one at a time.

The video is excellent but I wish he had shown how you comp SETS of tracks not just individual stand-alone takes.

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out. I will do some experimentation at this point.
Sworkshop

"The tide of amateurism cannot but recede, until there will be left only the mechanical device and the professional executant." - John Philip Sousa, 1906

After trying it out I found that it still won't let you select all clips in a comp group...you would have to swipe each take separately and hope for the best with timing.

It would be nice if there would be a way to do it, since it is not unusual to composite multi-track performances.

I will go back to the old razor blade method unless a kind soul knows how to do this in the current version.

Thanks
Sworkshop

Return to “Tracktion”