Alienware 17 R4 Performance

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been running an Alienware 17 R4 (6700hq) on stage for about 2 months now. I had previously been using a MacBook Pro for about 7 years. I wanted to switch from Mac to PC because I believe that the landscape is really starting to slide for the Mac platform. Opinions aside (I'm not asking for a debate - Please, no debate here), my goal is to open up a discussion around the PC platform and Windows 10 ability to be used on a live stage for music performance.

My first question, is there anyone using Alienware laptops for music production/performance and what has your experience been like?

I have been going back and forth between Bitwig and Reaper. I love them both for various reasons. My interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP. I am using the following adaption devices: Apple TB3 to TB2 and Apple TB2 to Firewire which then pipes over to my Saffire box. After receiving the laptop I was pleasantly surprised to see that it worked! I have also used a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (gen1).

My problem:
You guessed it, crackles. Actually I can get the latency feeling good with no crackles, but then on certain applications like Kontakt, and UVI Workstation I start to get the ugliness. Tonight during practice I am going to switch off multi-core support in Kontakt and let Bitwig handle things.

I will come back from time to time and see what is happening here in this thread. Hopefully I will be able to help someone and also get some answers for myself.

EvilDragon, if you are out there, just know that I have seen a lot of your posts on so many forums across the internet and I would value your opinion and experience.
Alienware 17R4
Windows 10 1803
BWS 2.4

Use ASIO drivers for low-latency. Also set windows to high-performance mode on laptop.

nonnaci wrote:Use ASIO drivers for low-latency. Also set windows to high-performance mode on laptop.
+1 on this.

And make sure your Windows 10 system is optimized, by turning off all unnecessary services and applications (including anti-virus and Wi-Fi).

Also, if you can, disable the on-board soundcard in the laptop's BIOS. Don't just disable it in Windows; actually turn it off in the BIOS.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Thank you people for you responses. Sorry it seems like I fell of the map. I'm still here and have had every intention of following up. So, I believe what I am going to have to do is to purchase a new interface. I am just going to blame my clicks on my Saffire Pro 24 DSP (connected via 2 Apple adapters - 1 to get from TB3 to TB2 and then from TB2 to FW800/400 cable). The only reason I did not blame it on that in the first place is because I seem to get the same results when using a Scarlett 2i4 (gen1 USB). But then I have also heard that the 1stgen Scarlett's are nowhere near as good as the 2ndgen. So, considering a new interface, I am somewhere between a Focusrite Clarett, an Apollo, and one of the new MOTU's (Thunderbolt AND USB combo! - very tempting!)

Aside from that as far as disabling stuff and running LatencyMon, I have just purchased a brand new SSD (NVMe x4 PCI) and installed Windows 10 LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch). That certainly takes care of a lot of the junk. Still getting the exact same clicking issues (not as good and as solid as my MBP). LatencyMon shows better results than I have seen yet. I have disabled my ethernet but haven't tried disabling the internal sound card yet. I will post back on my progress whenever I get the chance to give things a run this week-weekend.

In the meantime if none of you are familiar with Windows 10 LTSB you might want to do some reading up on it. Looks like it could be fantastic for us musicians despite the fact that I still can't make my new highend laptop perform as good as my 7 year old MacBook Pro. I am determined to find a way though. I really don't want to stay on the Apple bandwagon anymore. I didn't go out this far on a limb to go back again, I am desperate to leave the Apple tree.
Alienware 17R4
Windows 10 1803
BWS 2.4

15R2 working fine here. I use Cubase and a first gen scarlett interface. Would like a better interface as I can only stay really low on latency through most of a project and I don't like bouncing all the vst's and effects to audio unless I have to. I am curious if you can get a clarett working over the usb-c thunderbolt 3 port through since focusrite doesn't support it and says there are known bugs.

Dont' get a new interface yet. I have a windows 8.1 machine, and was having the same problems. Latency was good, but was till getting crackles.
I was about to lose my mind until I found a video for tweaking windows 8.1 for DAW. after doing the steps, my jaw dropped. incredible performance.

I had already done the regular tweaks, but these really helped,

Maybe there is a video for Windows 10 DAW tweaks.

dw

dusted william wrote:Dont' get a new interface yet. I have a windows 8.1 machine, and was having the same problems. Latency was good, but was till getting crackles.
I was about to lose my mind until I found a video for tweaking windows 8.1 for DAW. after doing the steps, my jaw dropped. incredible performance.

I had already done the regular tweaks, but these really helped,

Maybe there is a video for Windows 10 DAW tweaks.

dw
Almost all of the tweaks for Windows 8.1 (and 8 and 7) will work for Windows 10.

There are several .PDFs and websites dedicated to tweaking your Windows installation. Since KVR doesn't allow us to upload .PDFs, take a look here (https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/) for a good, basic start on tweaking Windows.

In addition refer to (and please, support) the excellent Black Viper's Windows configuration page, here: http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/. You won't necessarily want to try some of these configurations if you're not comfortable making changes to your system. If it comes to that, be sure to pop back here with any questions you have.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

here is the video I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQVkv3NM3k

Some suggestions here are very good, not sure if you've done them.

IMNSHO, the usual culprits are as follows in windows (doesn't matter which doze version)

-power settings: Must be high performance, period.
-wifi, some built-in wifi systems are just shit. Fact of life. Usually, "linksys" has the best.
-Asio settings: ASIO4all is a crap shoot, I still recommend a really good soundcard like RME babyface pro, though I know it's not cheap. But between those three, if you still have problems, it's uncommon.

Get a soundcard for God's sake
What is a Windows audio PC without one-
sadly this holds

If the first one you buy doesn't do it, then get another one until you have streaming covered

This will solve the problem

High end Dells are pretty good- u just need a soundcard

nix808 wrote:Get a soundcard for God's sake
What is a Windows audio PC without one-
sadly this holds

If the first one you buy doesn't do it, then get another one until you have streaming covered

This will solve the problem

High end Dells are pretty good- u just need a soundcard
He has a soundcard. Two, actually. He just has the better one (a Saffire Pro 24 DSP) hooked up in some bizarre fashion through two Apple adapters. He also has a Scarlett 2i4 which probably doesn't have the latest drivers.

According to Focusrite, the Saffire Pro 24 DSP already supports FireWire natively, so I have no idea why he's using the Thunderbolt connectors. And even the first-gen Saffire 2i4 should handle a fairly heavy DAW session before starting to fail--as long as the drivers are up to date.

Steve

planetearth wrote: According to Focusrite, the Saffire Pro 24 DSP already supports FireWire natively, so I have no idea why he's using the Thunderbolt connectors. And even the first-gen Saffire 2i4 should handle a fairly heavy DAW session before starting to fail--as long as the drivers are up to date.
latest motherboards have tb3 built in - hence why he's running the chain of adaptors to get from tb3 to firewire

native tb3 interface would be the obvious (but expensive fix) - I'd be tempted to try a pcie firewire card with the saffire pro (since should be able to find a suitable card for close to $0) just to see if it's better first

These Alienware 17s are 17" laptops

USB is an option

Personaly I'd avoid firewire through two thunderbolt adapters. Concentrate on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB interface.

Better yet: sell all the Focusrite interfaces. I hear nothing but (driver) troubles with them. Then search the forum for a good solid USB interface. You'll see the RME interfaces get recommended very often for a good reason: solid drivers!

If you can invest in a good laptop you should also invest in a good interface. In the end it's totally worth it...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I too would avoid FW in this day and age, especially for laptops.

I'll mention this again and people will go "OMG IT'S TOO MUCH MONEY" but try and put it into perspective.

If you get paid to play, and you want all the best in a portable unit, beg/borrow or steal and get an RME babyface pro. Better latency, truly excellent drivers, flexible, built like a brick-shithouse and sounds great.

Had mine almost 2 years now. I never remember it's there :shrug:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”