Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Shoot The TV

harryupbabble
KVRian

1033 posts since 19 Mar, 2012, from Babbleon

Postby harryupbabble; Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:42 pm Shoot The TV

Okay, this isn't a think tank post. It was inspired by someone else's post about hating TV. Since it has Pink Floyd in it, I guess I'll just post it here.

I once had a "friend" who I'd spend time with, skipping school. His older brother belonged to some sort of biker gang. We would go up to his brother's attic room (I believed it's his brother's room but it might have been partly his) and I would mostly "read" from the huge huge huge stacks of girly mags while listening to my "friend's" music collection (or was it his brother's? yeah it must have been) at very loud level and that music collection I thought at the time was mostly made up of drug bands but realized later I was sort of semi-right because it was just mostly Pink Floyd and maybe Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, Black Sabbath, Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc. I guess part of my taste in music mostly came from my "friend's" brother. My dad liked Rick Astley for a while. Me, not so much. I don't know why. Maybe it's because that song Never Gonna Give You Up might be about a wife beater or at least about someone possessive? But then how come I still like Every Breath You Take? I'm so confused.

That day, I think the lyrics to the song that we were listening to had the words "the lunatic is on the grass" and for whatever reason, my "friend" takes out some sort of a gun, BB gun I think, and shoots the TV. I'm like "WTF dude!!!". Well I don't think I really said the words because the music was super-loud, but I am sure my face had the look of those words. Later at home, when the shock had faded, I remembered/realized my "friend's" TV wasn't on because we were listening to music when he shot it. The TV must have been broken and shooting a dead TV is nothing and he was just trying to get a laugh. Hahaha. Gigglefest now. Later, my family moved and I didn't bother to keep in touch with my "friend". Sometimes I think of my "friend" and I think "I hope he isn't in jail" or worse, dead.

I was only going to post "You don't like TV? Do something about it." But I remembered that incident. And I like to babble. Type lots of stuff. Keep my two-finger typing skills in shape for speed scrabble. Anyways, I did, sort of killed my TV too. Okay, not really. Mine just slowly broke and I didn't have it repaired nor replace it, just watched it die and was apathetic. That's sort of a do. Do nothing is a do. Yeah, no desire/money anyways to buy another TV. Life without TV, I found, is easily doable. But now, in terms of staring at something square (hey why do they call it the boob tube?), I am reduced to just watching movies at the internet archive site most times. Pathetic? But positive hey, no commercials at all. But negative hey, most of the movie characters there keeps using the words "see", "blow", etc. When did the early Americans stopped talking like Brits? Was it soon after Humphrey Bogart started being in movies?
Yeah, but can I be necked, can I be totally newed?
jancivil
KVRAF

12826 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:24 pm Re: Shoot The TV

Every Breath You Take, I just heard it in WalMart.
Mr. Sting meant it to be sick, in case anybody wonders.

He also wrote Murder By Numbers, which Jimmy Swaggart said was written by Satan. And performed by The Sons of Satan.
Before Jimmy was caught with a whore and he went on TV crying like Tammy Faye Bakker.

I met Tammy Faye, in her office late at night poring over some, I mean cooking some books.
One supposes.
Odd that their HQ at that time had no security to speak of, we rang the bell, announced our interest in the TV Ministry and may we see their gear. A guy answered and said 'Sure. Woulja like to meet Tammy Faye?'
At like 1AM, a bit drunk. True story.

I suppose the southern accent is a mixture of British and African. There was this so-called MidAtlantic accent (in the North) which pervaded motion pictures on into the mid-20th c. The American accent seems to have surplanted it entirely. Thank The South.
incubus
Suspended

Postby incubus; Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:56 pm Re: Shoot The TV

Ah, HPC is see ya a coming! :lol:

When I was a kid, I saw "Jerry falwell" on some channel (this is like 1978 ish) saying "he just flew there on his private jet, to his private studio to tell us the war against evil is almost won" .... "If you just send in your checks for 1000 usd or more........."

Yep, you don't need modern times to realize what a crock of crap it all is.

Also, "If you are allergic to such and such, don't take such and such. If you experience death, please consult your doctor immediately"

:shrug:
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

3863 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:57 pm Re: Shoot The TV

Something about hammers?
TheCatBurglar
KVRist

107 posts since 8 Mar, 2017, from Kathmandu

Postby TheCatBurglar; Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:45 am Re: Shoot The TV

Not sure about shooting. But the Red Hot Chilli Peppers did tell me to throw away my television once or twice.
Feed The Paw
Hooj
KVRist

354 posts since 23 Aug, 2012, from Way Out West

Postby Hooj; Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 am Re: Shoot The TV

harryupbabble wrote: I think the lyrics to the song that we were listening to had the words "the lunatic is on the grass" and for whatever reason, my "friend" takes out some sort of gun and shoots the TV.

yeah, that seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction! :nutter:
Last edited by Hooj on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

25045 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:11 am Re: Shoot The TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRAIm73okFQ

When did the early Americans stopped talking like Brits?

The early Americans? Probably quite early.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
incubus
Suspended

Postby incubus; Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 pm Re: Shoot The TV

A bit surprising.

Anyways, "second city television" was probably an inspiration.....

(yes, I'm that old)
AnX
KVRAF

1902 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Postby AnX; Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 pm Re: Shoot The TV

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic