Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

2013 posts since 23 Oct, 2000, from skelmersdale, west lancs, uk

Postby kevvvvv; Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 am can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

I'm 100% midi & 64 bit vst2 plugs, running Studio One 3 and Win 10 on a decent PC.

I've been using the motherboard with ASIO4All, which I have to admit has been pretty good.

But the time has come to get a board for lower latency as I'm using my Kontrol S25 keyboard quite a bit these days.

When I google this the language of specifications baffles me, or they try to sell me audio i/o for sound recording, which I never do.

Can you recommend a suitable cheap board or box for me?

Grateful for any help or advice you can offer :)
Member 12, Studio One 3, Avenger, Komplete Ultimate, Dune, Spire (soon to be sold), Omnisphere 2 (just about hanging in there), Battery, BFD, Izotope Neutron & Ozone
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

24742 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

Sure you're in the right place? This is the 'Mobile Apps and Hardware' forum, you seem to be talking about a PC system...

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

Postby kevvvvv; Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:30 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

Couldn't see on phone

cheers
kev
Member 12, Studio One 3, Avenger, Komplete Ultimate, Dune, Spire (soon to be sold), Omnisphere 2 (just about hanging in there), Battery, BFD, Izotope Neutron & Ozone
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

Postby kevvvvv; Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

Searching on google I came across the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 USB Audio Interface

Does it replace using my motherboard for audio processing?

Or am I completely wrong?
mhog
Banned

Postby mhog; Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:27 pm Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

kevvvvv wrote:Searching on google I came across the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 USB Audio Interface

Does it replace using my motherboard for audio processing?

Or am I completely wrong?

Good cheap Audio Interface, but as far as I know it is 16 bit only. In case you play sample players (Kontakt) and/or want to render your music from StudioOne into audio file, CD, mp3 etc. I would go 24 bit if i were you.
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

Postby kevvvvv; Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:01 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

Back in the day i used an Audiophile 24/96 card.

It was cheap & reliable and did a great job.

Is there any equivalent today?

thanx = kev
Dominus
KVRAF

1935 posts since 15 Sep, 2003, from Land of Crazies, USA

Postby Dominus; Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:12 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

Good, cheap, and low latency aren't going to come easy when it comes to interfaces. Usually your best bet is to pick two. Even if you're not doing recording, you're still looking for (at the very least) good driver support. Your best bet is to find out who has some of the best driver support, and then pick their cheapest interface. RME is going to be pricey, but no one can touch them on the PC side for drivers. I've tried just about everyone, and I will *NEVER EVER* use any other brand. If you're serious about things, it's an investment. (And I'm just a hobbyist.)

Others might chime in about other manufacturers. Make sure you do a thorough Google search on each manufacturer and the word "driver" and pay close attention to any horror stories.
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

Postby kevvvvv; Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:20 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

Thanks Dominus

RME do a pci express. Is this the kind of board you mean?

And - dumb question - how do i know it does asio? Most of the jargon on the site baffles me.
Dominus
KVRAF

Postby Dominus; Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

kevvvvv wrote:Thanks Dominus

RME do a pci express. Is this the kind of board you mean?

And - dumb question - how do i know it does asio? Most of the jargon on the site baffles me.

They do PCI, PCIe, USB, and Firewire. Even their older units are rock solid performers. I'm using a Fireface 400 that's probably at least 7-8 years old now. (Just checked a review for it from almost 10 years ago.) You could even get away with getting a used one if you wanted to save some money. A Babyface would do what you need it to do, that's USB.

Any modern *recording* interface supports ASIO. (The consumer grade playback ones, such as Creative Labs and the like, do not.)
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

Postby kevvvvv; Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:27 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

Dominus

You've been very helpful. Much appreciated.

I've got an old laptop I can flog so I should be able to afford a decent RME USB model.

Is a card better than a box, or does it make no difference?

kev :)
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

20316 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:29 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

I've had good experience with NI Audio Kontrol 1. Had it 10 years with no problems. Its been replaced by the Komplete Audio 6 (I think). Not the cheapest, but well specced for the price. I would think any modern ASIO interface will work fine for you. Does your PC have USB3? If so, maybe check out USB3 interfaces ... there aren't many to choose from.
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

Postby kevvvvv; Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:35 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

yes, all usb3 on my machine.

quite well spec'd, fast i7 32gb win10
MFXxx
KVRAF

2667 posts since 27 Mar, 2010, from UK

Postby MFXxx; Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:45 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

I'm going to 2nd RME rock solid drivers, support and performance even with legacy units on modern systems.
ImagePlug 1
pljones
KVRAF

5840 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK

Postby pljones; Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

Are there good PCIe cards with good, reliable MIDI support (i.e. dongles that do not fall out)?

I've an Echo AudioFire4 currently and love it but (a) Echo don't do audio any more, so I've no idea when support will stop and (b) no one does compatible Firewire any more, so I don't know how long it'll last that way, either... (It's on a pretty decent PCIe Firewire card, so I'm hoping that doesn't die.)
Dominus
KVRAF

Postby Dominus; Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:39 am Re: can you recommend a good cheap low latency board/box

kevvvvv wrote:yes, all usb3 on my machine.

quite well spec'd, fast i7 32gb win10

USB3 is only going to give you faster performance with more audio tracks. If you don't have a lot coming in, it's pretty much overkill. Couple that with some manufacturers having trouble with USB and USB2 drivers running on USB3 ports, and it adds another dimension of frustration. :)

If you have USB2 ports, plan on using one of those for a USB interface if you get one that's not USB3.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Computer Setup and System Configuration