Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

What's not like about Kenny G?

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

8733 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:27 pm What's not like about Kenny G?

chk071
Suspended

Postby chk071; Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 pm Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

Guy is seriously out of phase.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:36 pm Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

chk071 wrote:Guy is seriously out of phase.

That's all well and good, but what about the hair?
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6731 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:41 pm Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

Most misunderstood ( in all senses) South Park character, that's for sure
The future is yesterday
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

9982 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:51 pm Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

Due to his instrument, his music sounds a bit repetitive in my view. But I still like Songbird a lot.
cryophonik
KVRAF

5264 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:44 pm Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

He needs more cowbell.
don1thedon
KVRian

1083 posts since 25 Sep, 2002

Postby don1thedon; Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 pm Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
chk071 wrote:Guy is seriously out of phase.

That's all well and good, but what about the hair?

Yep hair's out of phase as well!

Smashin saxophonist though!
incubus
Banned

Postby incubus; Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:09 pm Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

don1thedon wrote:Smashin saxophonist though!

I wouldn't call that thing he plays a sax :hihi:

More like a pied pipe :ud:
Andywanders
KVRAF

2556 posts since 3 Aug, 2003, from Narnia

Postby Andywanders; Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 am Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

When it comes to Kenny G, I'm of the same opinion as Pat Metheny.

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

Pat Metheny wrote:...Not long ago, Kenny G put out a recording where he overdubbed himself on top of a 30+ year old Louis Armstrong record, the track "What a Wonderful World". With this single move, Kenny G became one of the few people on earth I can say that I really can't use at all - as a man, for his incredible arrogance to even consider such a thing, and as a musician, for presuming to share the stage with the single most important figure in our music...

...But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, f**ked up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, shit all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician. By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture - something that we all should be totally embarrassed about - and afraid of. We ignore this, "let it slide", at our own peril...
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 am Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

Andywanders wrote:When it comes to Kenny G, I'm of the same opinion as Pat Metheny.

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

Pat Metheny wrote:...Not long ago, Kenny G put out a recording where he overdubbed himself on top of a 30+ year old Louis Armstrong record, the track "What a Wonderful World". With this single move, Kenny G became one of the few people on earth I can say that I really can't use at all - as a man, for his incredible arrogance to even consider such a thing, and as a musician, for presuming to share the stage with the single most important figure in our music...

...But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, f**ked up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, shit all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician. By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture - something that we all should be totally embarrassed about - and afraid of. We ignore this, "let it slide", at our own peril...

:o :o I can probably close the thread; Ain't nobody gonna top that :lol: :lol:

I love Pat, but I would never in a million years have guessed he was capable of such vitriol.

Hilarious!! :tu:
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21232 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

I'm with Pat on this one ...
cryophonik
KVRAF

5264 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

Meh, still not as bad as the way divas completely butcher our National Anthem at sporting events day in and day out.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 am Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

Well, national anthems are musically crappy to begin with, that's their nature ^^

But I am also a bit shocked about Metheny's statements, I assume the two are not friends :hihi: It's unusual for artists to talk that way about their colleagues.

To me those two are actually similar in that I like one tune of each, while considering all the rest mediocre.
Aloysius
KVRAF

20722 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:12 am Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

I love everything about Kenny G except his saxophone playing and his wig.
Help!! There's a skeleton inside me!!!
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:17 am Re: What's not like about Kenny G?

Oh my, I hadn't seen the Everything Else forum overview in a while, it is flooded with What's not to like about xyz? threads :hihi:
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)