Overestimated synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are some of the most overestimated synths in the world?

That's completely subjective, so it's hard to answer.

I'd say anything that relies too heavily on presets sans tweakabilty. Essentially, you'd be stuck with those boxed sounds. While this might work for some users, I couldn't imagine paying several hundred dollars for a plugin that seemed that limited.

On the flip side, anything that is a complete knob tweakers dream can be overestimated. Too many options are roughly the same as not enough.
Duality without regard to physicality

Access Virus.
Minimoog.

synths are overrated
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

KingofBeers wrote:Access Virus.
I got myself a 2nd hand Virus TI 2 weeks ago for $1500. A brand new one costs around $3000. I previewed many presets, but honestly I couldnt understand why a hardware synth like that costs 3 grands.

Having said that, off to porting our code to ARM/Linux :hihi:
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

KingofBeers wrote:Access Virus.
Wrong
KingofBeers wrote: Minimoog.
Right (I'm judging only from the available plugin emulations though)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

kv331 wrote: I got myself a 2nd hand Virus TI 2 weeks ago for $1500. A brand new one costs around $3000. I previewed many presets, but honestly I couldnt understand why a hardware synth like that costs 3 grands.
Does that mean that we may expect something based on Virus in next Synthmaster versions?

Btw, in my opinion the Virus factory presets are mostly so-so, it is capable of much more impressive sounds.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Does that mean that we may expect something based on Virus in next Synthmaster versions?
Nope, that wasn't my intention. But get ready to see SynthMaster in other forms :hihi:
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Having spent a lot of time in /r/synthesizers lately, I'd say analog monosynths in general. There seems to be the impression that they have something that digital or software can never get close to, when in reality I doubt most saying so would be able to tell the difference between analog and something like Diva, especially in a mix.

In /r/edmproduction, it's Serum. Not because it's bad; in fact, I really like it. It's just that I see it constantly referred to in ways like "the only synth you'll ever need".

Hopefully I got into the thread before it develops into the inevitable flame war.

This thread simply had to come :hihi:

Anything by Roland. :zzz:

Moogs, Jupiters, Junos, and their emulations.

Whichever synth you're most proud of owning.

After the "most underestimated synths" ...

... now the "overestimated synths".

I think that I shall soon open a new thread named "What are the correctly estimated synths?".

(probably crowds)

That way, in only three threads we shall have cited all the KVR database plus the synths which are not yet in it. Great!

Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Analog synths, not that they don't sound good or anything but the analog hype has reached stupid proportions both on reddit and FB, they make gearslutz look like digital lovers place.

it is becoming an Analog Church which comes to burn your digital sins.
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”