One Synth Challenge #99: vst2413 by Keijiro Takahashi (J.Ruegg wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Updated Mac, Windows 64, and Win32 Binaries by Taron!

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #99! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Submissions will show up here (may be a long delay before showing up): (n/a)

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

http://soundcloud.com/denkitribe/revive-me-vst2413-demo

vst2413 is strangely powerful beast with NO GUI. Your daw will create a default GUI for it. From Keijiro's site: 'VST2413 is a software FM synthesizer based on YM2413 (OPLL) emulator. YM2413 is well known as low-cost FM sound chip, and was used on Sega Master System and FM-PAC sound expansion cartridge for MSX.'

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
Ridan is offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): any 1 of his soundsets. Mention the soundset you want, along with your other prize. If you would like your winning track on spotify, please specify so as well, or you will be contacted by rghvdberg.

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster One

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : Any 3 commercial sound banks. See the main site here

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik 8000, Wusik Station 8, and Wusik EVE v3

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

JRR Shop : UVI: Mello

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Ridan: Any one soundset as a secondary prize, on top of the regular prize.
haunting soundscapes, atmospheric chords, layered pads, anamorphic guitars,
brass and woodwind-esque, rhythmic/melodic sequences, and macabre sound effects.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing. Some people from OSC have had success here.
  • KVR Mix Challenge (see stickies) - Who can mix a song the best (Without adding extra recordings /musical additions)? Each person starts out with the same stems.
  • Music Cafe (KVR, see stickies) - A thematic monthly competition. Use recording, real instruments, synths and samples.
  • RemixComps - An aggregator for remix contests from a variety of artists and genres (mostly EDM) - indie and popular.
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
  • Soundevotion (SDCOMPO) Competition - Even longer running than the OSC, the SDCOMPO is even more niche in that you must use a tracker, and set of specific effects. Great community.
Last edited by bjporter on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 14 times in total.

1. Pick any non-sampler/rompler synth! Also commercial FX are allowed
3. Announce your submission here on this thread, with proper details **including the chosen synth**
Might want to update that copy/paste.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

The drums and the presets versions of vst2413 are allowed too?

Is there some sort of trick to get this to work in Reaper?
Windows download zip had 3 .dlls VST2413*.dll with * being a p,r or s I think(on other PC so going by memory).
Dropped all 3 in my VST folder, Reaper x64 picked them up.

Inserted new track, picked "S" one.
Several sliders appear, tried playing a note on keyboard.
Sound played, did not stop on key release.
Pressed key again, sound got louder but still playing on key release.
Pressed key again, louder still and no release.
Repeat until sound stops, then no further sounds.

Tried each of the 3 dlls. "P" only had 2 sliders and "R" had maybe 5
Same experience as using the "S" one.

Downloaded and installed 32-bit Reaper.
Same deal as before.
Press a key, note sounds and continues to sound upon key release.
Next key press makes sound louder etc.
Pressing different key just adds new tone but tones do not stop IE press and release C3 and a C will play, then press E3 and while C is still playing an E is added, neither note stops on key release.
Eventually all sounds stop after 5-7 key presses.
Sound will not resume until new instance of the VST is loaded.
Tried all 3 dlls in both 64-bit and 32-bit Reaper.
The UI button in Reaper (which normally strips the GUI of a VST to just sliders) had no effect.

Out of ideas to try, hopefully someone will offer a solution.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

And next month, a sine wave generator! :hyper: :lol:
It's actually nice to have a contrasting theme in synth functionality.

The reason there are multiple synthesizers in the VST2413 pack is because the original YM2413 chip appears to have only been released with static, pre programmed instrument presets. This reduction in functionality was specifically done to cheaply bring it to the mainstream market (much like the Moog Model D).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2413

This is a similar chip and offers a lot of insight into the fundamentals of synthesis with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_sPAZZGtsI

Here's another tool that enabled a custom preset section.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4uPerAsWLk

For the purpose of OSC it seems natural that only VST2413S would qualify, out of that pack of 3 synths, as it actually has adjustable parameters and isn't just a 14 bank preset browser/drum machine.

On the other hand, if they are all up for grabs that would make it much easier to use and people could still opt to use only the adjustable VST2413S synthesizer. :tu:
Last edited by 574X on Tue May 02, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frostline wrote:"Is there some sort of trick to get this to work in Reaper?"
F3 sends all notes off, to save your ears from hanging notes. :tu:

In preferences, try changing:
Plug-ins > Vst > Vst Compatibility settings. Start with the top 3.
also Audio > Playback > there are some flushing options to try.

VST2413S is the normal, basic FM synth.
R is a drum machine - drum presets mapped to keys. No parameters to adjust.
P is just static presets. :zzz:
Theoretically you could program those sounds into S, and nobody would know the difference... weird. :drunk: - except your conscience! :lol:

574X wrote:
R is a drum machine - drum presets mapped to keys. No parameters to adjust.
P is just static presets. :zzz:
Theoretically you could program those sounds into S, and nobody would know the difference... weird. :drunk: - except your conscience! :lol:
Ha, I wondered why some of the keys I would press would make odd drum type sounds. Must have been during the "R" testing :dog: Good to know though.
Further experiments with the "S" version has made some small progress. It appears that it will work somewhat with notes already set in piano roll, though some of the sliders don't make a difference that I can perceive but with the odd labeling of the sliders it could very well be that I am listening for the wrong type of changes :shrug:
I will experiment further with the suggestions you made regarding settings in Reaper (though it is disquieting to do so since otherwise Reaper seems to be working fine). Thank you much for the suggestions. :tu:
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Is this giving anyone else MIDI jitter?

As I understand it, as they're all synthesized sounds, you can mix and match either one, though S gives one the most control.

I wasn't looking forward to this after attempting to make dubstep with this synth last month, but now I wanna see everyone else struggle
It's very tasty, I swear!

zerofox97 wrote:I wasn't looking forward to this after attempting to make dubstep with this synth last month, but now I wanna see everyone else struggle
yeah, let's suffer for our art like it's 1850 again !

Tried it briefly last night in Studio One and had stuck note issues as soon as I hooked it up to Note FX. Not sure if I have the patience for this one, but if mix & match of the preset and synth versions is allowed, might be worth another go; minimalist synths are often very rewarding.

Ohhh, surprise.
Awaiting funny tracks. :wink:

DELETED

zerofox97 wrote:I wasn't looking forward to this after attempting to make dubstep with this synth last month, but now I wanna see everyone else struggle
Tihihihihi, yeah, thanks! :tantrum: :lol:

It's always kind of fun to see how we all go through the stages of grief with a weird, "new", little synth. I'm hoping to learn from previous experiences, but it's somehow so very, very different every time.

This one is great, because it comes in like it can only be a brutal challenge to tackle. Let's see... 8)

Return to “Instruments”