Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
adfielding
KVRist

62 posts since 16 Jan, 2005

Postby adfielding; Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 am [Dramatic/Cinematic/Post-Rock-y?] Pull Me Through

I'd originally planned on hanging onto this track for a little longer, but figured "what the hell" and stuck it on Soundcloud if anyone's interested in checking it out. Definitely a contender for a potential future album track but right now that's not a road I'm ready to start down again just yet.

https://soundcloud.com/adfielding/pull-me-through

(apologies for the genre descriptor, not really sure how to describe this one as it's not like I went into it with the intent of, say, "hey, today I'll write a synthwave track!" or something... so I guess it's kind of cinematic with post-rock/epic pop-y influences? Who knows)

I'd really appreciate any feedback or comments if anyone fancies giving it a listen. Cheers :)
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

3787 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Tue May 02, 2017 10:21 am Re: [Dramatic/Cinematic/Post-Rock-y?] Pull Me Through

That sounds excellent - great arrangement and choice of sounds and the mix is nice and powerful.

The only thing I think I'd change is on the vocals. All the harmonies are great but you could try a bit of contrast (and I'm a terrible offender for not doing this myself... :hihi: ) by cutting them in (particularly the quieter) parts?
funky lime
KVRian

891 posts since 17 Sep, 2002, from the imagination

Postby funky lime; Tue May 02, 2017 1:34 pm Re: [Dramatic/Cinematic/Post-Rock-y?] Pull Me Through

Nice production! Solid mix; everything seems generally well-balanced and the arrangement is mindfully done.

The first half of it is very enchanting and ethereal. Very, very cool. I love the piano riff; it's so simple but so haunting and enticing. The soft vocals sound really great, and it is bits like that which show off your competence as a singer.

To be honest, i kind of lost interest when the beat dropped and it got loud. The lead guitar when the loud part comes in seems a bit aimless, and has this big epic solo tone but the actual notes/playing are underwhelming, and it just sort of slogs along for a bit without conveying much of anything besides "here's a lead guitar sound." And the vocals got kind of cheesy and over-hyped at that point. It just got a little too "pop-nu-metal" for me. But this is all personal taste, of course, and I just don't really fancy the poppy, melodramatic fortissimo vocal that's typical of stuff like Evanescence and others. However, the dynamic contrast compared to the first part is definitely interesting, and the concept is really solid.

The chuggy rhythm guitars are a nice addition toward the end, and I love that little bar of distorted transition leading into this part. It's little stuff like that that really gives a professional sheen to a song.

I hope my criticism isn't too harsh. It's really a good song, perhaps marred only by my own expectations and preferences. Thanks for sharing!
adfielding
KVRist

62 posts since 16 Jan, 2005

Postby adfielding; Wed May 03, 2017 2:42 am Re: [Dramatic/Cinematic/Post-Rock-y?] Pull Me Through

donkey tugger wrote:That sounds excellent - great arrangement and choice of sounds and the mix is nice and powerful.

The only thing I think I'd change is on the vocals. All the harmonies are great but you could try a bit of contrast (and I'm a terrible offender for not doing this myself... :hihi: ) by cutting them in (particularly the quieter) parts?

Thanks for the feedback! I can see what you mean about the harmonies, for sure - it's been a while since I put out anything with vocals, so I guess I'm still a bit in the mindset of just going a bit overboard with that. Appreciate it! :)

funky lime wrote:Nice production! Solid mix; everything seems generally well-balanced and the arrangement is mindfully done.

The first half of it is very enchanting and ethereal. Very, very cool. I love the piano riff; it's so simple but so haunting and enticing. The soft vocals sound really great, and it is bits like that which show off your competence as a singer.

To be honest, i kind of lost interest when the beat dropped and it got loud. The lead guitar when the loud part comes in seems a bit aimless, and has this big epic solo tone but the actual notes/playing are underwhelming, and it just sort of slogs along for a bit without conveying much of anything besides "here's a lead guitar sound." And the vocals got kind of cheesy and over-hyped at that point. It just got a little too "pop-nu-metal" for me. But this is all personal taste, of course, and I just don't really fancy the poppy, melodramatic fortissimo vocal that's typical of stuff like Evanescence and others. However, the dynamic contrast compared to the first part is definitely interesting, and the concept is really solid.

The chuggy rhythm guitars are a nice addition toward the end, and I love that little bar of distorted transition leading into this part. It's little stuff like that that really gives a professional sheen to a song.

I hope my criticism isn't too harsh. It's really a good song, perhaps marred only by my own expectations and preferences. Thanks for sharing!

Not at all, I appreciate the honest feedback and I'm glad you liked it nonetheless! I guess I'm very much working in the "more is more" camp style of arrangement at the moment, so I can appreciate if it's not your cup of tea for sure. Cheers, and thanks a lot for checking it out!

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe