Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

She's got that Sparkle

CTO
KVRer

8 posts since 18 Apr, 2017

Postby CTO; Sat May 13, 2017 6:05 pm She's got that Sparkle

Dear forum members

thanks so much for all your feedback on the last tune (plasm), lots of ideas and suggestions i got from different forums made it into the new tune...
so here it is, i hope you find it as sparkin' as i do!

https://soundcloud.com/cto-7/cto-feat-sibyl-hofstetter-shes-got-that-sparkle

The Vocals are doubled - but Sibyl sings so precisely that it almost kind of a flanging effect to it if you listen in mono... don't know if this is good or not (?)

feedback is highly appreciated!
thanks for checking it out

<3
theo
Chickenman
KVRian

726 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from New Zealand!!!!!!!!

Postby Chickenman; Sat May 13, 2017 6:51 pm Re: She's got that Sparkle

Is it all virtual instruments/loops?

Sounds great anyway, especially love the odd little bass variation, makes a difference.

Needs a guitar solo :D
I play guitar
Aloysius
KVRAF

19578 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Sat May 13, 2017 8:21 pm Re: She's got that Sparkle

Cool bassline. Awesome imho.

I like her voice a lot but not the processing. The word 'mystery' sounds like 'miss-toe-e'. There are annoying mouth noises here and there.

Would have liked to hear a bigger, deeper monster kick drum. Warm sound ... not distorted.
Otherwise, I really enjoyed it. I listened twice. :phones:
seismic1
KVRAF

8384 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Wed May 17, 2017 4:56 pm Re: She's got that Sparkle

It's a great follow-up to Plasm. I wasn't sure about the sound of the vocals (from a recording perspective) during the first listen, but after a couple more listens, I think they're fine. I really liked the bridge section after the second chorus.

Good work :)
annode
KVRAF

5787 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Wed May 17, 2017 5:55 pm Re: She's got that Sparkle

Didn't care for the song and even less the mix...but that bridge @ 2:00 was excellent!
The bridge showed real writing creativity...where was that in the rest of this song?
I heard an interview with Quincy Jones just tonight and he said they went through 200 songs/ideas or some number like that, before choosing the 8 or so songs on the Michael Jackson 'Thriller' lp. So...if you can come up with a bridge like that, it's just a matter of quantity before you amass some really excellent songs.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x
Vortifex
KVRist

177 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Postby Vortifex; Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 am Re: She's got that Sparkle

That's a really nice track. But there's something about the way the vocals have been mixed that I don't like. It feels like they sort of sit on top of the music rather than being a part of it, if that makes sense. They're too prominent, and need to gel a little bit more with the rest of the mix. Just my personal opinion.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

3727 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 am Re: She's got that Sparkle

annode wrote:but that bridge @ 2:00 was excellent!

Yes, should be the chorus! Too good to only use once.

I'm trying to work out what's a bit 'off' about the vocals (usually many things when I sing...). I think having them panned hard left and right is a bit distracting as we're more used to hearing them from the centre (although it is of course a well used technique). Is there a lot of wideband de-essing on them (or similar) as sometimes there seems to me to be quite a drop in high-frequency?
annode
KVRAF

5787 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Fri May 19, 2017 2:50 pm Re: She's got that Sparkle

Donkey speaketh;
I'm trying to work out what's a bit 'off' about the vocals

I'm thinking the two vocals are out of time just so slightly it's like a static flange out of phase situation. It could be a 'comb filtering effect'.
Read this: http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advic ... -filtering
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x
CTO
KVRer

8 posts since 18 Apr, 2017

Postby CTO; Mon May 22, 2017 11:30 am Re: She's got that Sparkle

hey
sorry, somehow forgot about the post here, that's why i'm a bit late with answers ;)

Chickenman wrote:Is it all virtual instruments/loops?

Sounds great anyway, especially love the odd little bass variation, makes a difference.

Needs a guitar solo :D

Thanks! The Bass, the (little) Guitar and the vocals of course are played live. The Rhodes is NI, the beat(s) is sampled and sliced.
Not every song needs a guitar solo, but the next one will have one again :)

Aloysius wrote:Cool bassline. Awesome imho.

I like her voice a lot but not the processing. The word 'mystery' sounds like 'miss-toe-e'. There are annoying mouth noises here and there.

Would have liked to hear a bigger, deeper monster kick drum. Warm sound ... not distorted.
Otherwise, I really enjoyed it. I listened twice. :phones:

Thanks for your Feedback! There were lot's of esses going on, so i C6'd in the upper midrange. Maybe too much... If i'll remix i would make the voice a bit smaller (maybe 2 db).

annode wrote:Didn't care for the song and even less the mix...but that bridge @ 2:00 was excellent!
The bridge showed real writing creativity...where was that in the rest of this song?
I heard an interview with Quincy Jones just tonight and he said they went through 200 songs/ideas or some number like that, before choosing the 8 or so songs on the Michael Jackson 'Thriller' lp. So...if you can come up with a bridge like that, it's just a matter of quantity before you amass some really excellent songs.

thanks! ;) nice one - until I have 200 Songs it will take a while ;) Right now I write maybe one song a month - so in 10 years i'll be there ;) but hey, time passes quickly :wink:

annode wrote:Donkey speaketh;
I'm trying to work out what's a bit 'off' about the vocals

I'm thinking the two vocals are out of time just so slightly it's like a static flange out of phase situation. It could be a 'comb filtering effect'.
Read this: http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advic ... -filtering

It's actually 2 different takes, but they are so close that you hear phasing in mono. If you listen on a normal stereo or headphones it's ok, but if the speakers are close (mobile phone, laptop or any mono speaker) there are phase issues going on. I forgot to check the mono compatibility in the studio...

donkey tugger wrote:
annode wrote:but that bridge @ 2:00 was excellent!

Yes, should be the chorus! Too good to only use once.

I'm trying to work out what's a bit 'off' about the vocals (usually many things when I sing...). I think having them panned hard left and right is a bit distracting as we're more used to hearing them from the centre (although it is of course a well used technique). Is there a lot of wideband de-essing on them (or similar) as sometimes there seems to me to be quite a drop in high-frequency?

You're right, I had to de-ess a lot to make it sound ok - and that cuts away also the highs.
The singer sings quite soft, so I think this makes the more esses compared to a loud singer?
Aloysius
KVRAF

19578 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 am Re: She's got that Sparkle

This might help.

Google: Tips for controlling microphone sibliance

https://www.google.ie/search?q=micropho ... +sibliance

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe