Synth Plugins with MIDI In (and Out!) for all parameters

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What nice sounding synth plugins have MIDI in/out via CC/Sysex or host automation?

I mean complete (= all parameters) bidirectional MIDI communication?.

For hardware synths it seems standard for decades. But i can't find any plugins that can do it too.

Arturia
NI
Synapse
u-he
Waldorf
= nope (either no full control or missing MIDI out)

Maybe Xils? I wrote them but got no answer yet.
Last edited by mi-os on Mon May 29, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Parameters (in a software) and MIDI CC are completely different things.

MIDI CCs are limited, parameters are not. So "complete (= all parameters)" not possible with many plugins (synth or not).

mi-os wrote:What nice sounding synth plugins have MIDI in/out via CC/Sysex or host automation?

I mean complete (= all parameters) bidirectional MIDI communication?

For hardware synths it seems standard for decades. But i can't find any plugins that can do it too.

Arturia
NI
Synapse
u-he
Waldorf
= nope (either no full control or missing MIDI out)

Maybe Xils? I wrote them but got no answer yet.
Xils have full host automation + custom Midi Cc automation saved as a map to fully adapt it to your hardware controllers.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I`m confused. What functionality would you like to have to do what?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

I was wondering too. Don't quite get what it is the OP is asking for.

The OP wants feedback on MIDI Learned parameters, say, when presets are changed. He needs that for his hardware controller designs.

Urs wrote:The OP wants feedback on MIDI Learned parameters, say, when presets are changed. He needs that for his hardware controller designs.
I see. VST(i) seem to send all states of parameters even after a preset change. When I use the VST(i) stacker host 'Chainer", and I open the standard GUI for that slot showing a fader for control and feedback of each parameter, doesn't that in itself show there is input as well as output from any plugin?

Urs is right.

I changed the misleading '?' to '.' in my first post.

Lotuzia wrote: Xils have full host automation + custom Midi Cc automation saved as a map to fully adapt it to your hardware controllers.
Thank you, sounds good.

Do you know how more than 128 CC's are managed? With u-he plugins you can have 16 MIDI channels * 128 CC's = 2048 parameters.

Does the MIDI CC implementation supports MIDI out? (for example on preset changes) Or is this only via host automation available?

annode wrote:
Urs wrote:The OP wants feedback on MIDI Learned parameters, say, when presets are changed. He needs that for his hardware controller designs.
I see. VST(i) seem to send all states of parameters even after a preset change. When I use the VST(i) stacker host 'Chainer", and I open the standard GUI for that slot showing a fader for control and feedback of each parameter, doesn't that in itself show there is input as well as output from any plugin?
Maybe what you see is host automated VST parameters? To me they seem bidirectional by default.

Maybe what you see is host automated VST parameters?
Maybe you should find out for yourself?
https://www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html
The parameters of Chainer and also parameters of the loaded VST plugins can be controlled through MIDI CC messages,[learning] or VST automation.
It's popup parameter controller follows all parameter movement and shows numbers. Can it be interfaced?

Xhip 8 does this, although you'd need to use your host to convert automation outputs to MIDI as Xhip does not output MIDI data.

It would mostly be useless. I can't think of any case where reading the value of a parameter would be useful.

MIDI doesn't have the required functionality to support this sort of thing without sysex and sysex isn't well supported outside of hardware which is the main reason you almost never see it in software.

I believe a VST plug-in would need to handle MIDI I/O directly without using the host and it would conflict with the host because MIDI devices can't be used by multiple processes in that way; there is no "MIDI mixing".

The proper way to handle it in software would be to use the existing interfaces. For example in VST you have set-parameter and get-parameter as well as a plug-in to host notification "automate-parameter" which is essentially "parameter-changed".

Therefore any plug-in which implements every preset parameter as an automatable parameter in VST does exactly what you want. Again, Xhip does this.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

The main objective for now is getting presets to the controller.

Secondary i see nothing wrong with continuous bidirectional communication, though it's not absolutely neccessary. Why would you not want to see parameter changes on your controller if you change something via the plugin GUI or have some host automation for certain parameters? The latter is insofar intresting as if a parameter is already host automated, these parameters would be somehow locked since you can't have two values per param. (hasty thought: have a sort of scaling/shifting then instead / or some priority modes could be helpful for such situations)

It's a question of bandwidth and interference.

Most of the time you wouldn't want to show parameter changes in a VST. For example the host generally doesn't print the value of every automated parameter all the time because it would be a huge waste.

Actually communicating with a controller is a hardware issue. You'd likely be best to use an OSC-based controller with a USB or ethernet interface. In which case you can simply send messages like: "paramchange: #34 Filter.Cutoff = 52.6 Hz" or just use the standard method if it suits your needs.

Wrapping a VST plug-in in a host that could handle such communication via MIDI would be possible but it wouldn't obey any standards for communication. So you'd have a "MIDI v666" that only worked with your custom hardware and nothing else.

It is possible to transmit OSC-like messages using sysex but you'll very quickly run out of bandwidth and the latency may be unacceptable.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Regarding dumping presets to the controller, how do VST host preset systems work? Since a preset includes all parameters maybe there is a chance to get the parameters via that interface? Though i'd need a custom host i suppose, which would be not really ideal.

Return to “Instruments”