June Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another new month is coming up quick!

How did people feel about lifting the 3-minute duration restriction this time around?

And for next month would people like something more thematic in nature or more structural (like only compose in super-Locrian modes or something)?
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

Well, I don't care too much about the length...

I like the idea of a somehow restricting theme, it makes the composing more daring and sometimes I get unpredictable results... :hihi:
Pick one of your choice. Any sort will do

Having managed to break two bones in my fingers on my right hand (by falling up a massive flight of 3 steps :ud: ), what about manual note entry only - no controller keyboards/guitars/drums. :hihi: Bring everyone down to my level.. :x

How about going the other extreme?
I seem to remember we used to have a 2 minute time slot once. What about really pushing the boundary and having to make your point in just 1 minute :scared: :help:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

donkey tugger wrote:Having managed to break two bones in my fingers on my right hand (by falling up a massive flight of 3 steps :ud: ), what about manual note entry only - no controller keyboards/guitars/drums. :hihi: Bring everyone down to my level.. :x
OUCH !

Get better
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

How about only processed vocals . . . ?

Mister Natural wrote:How about only processed vocals . . . ?

You mean a track Only with Vocals, no instrument?

yeah fog, I'm suggesting a piece made with only vocal samples(processed or not) as instruments . . .

MN:

Sounds like fun.

folderol wrote:How about going the other extreme?
I seem to remember we used to have a 2 minute time slot once. What about really pushing the boundary and having to make your point in just 1 minute :scared: :help:
Being a really old bastard, I remember when the contest started (think I entered the second month) and limit was 30 seconds for quite a while. This was of course in the days of dial-up (nice title for a song... :hihi: ). Really made you plan what you were writing, or not, as my first entry was some random shite called, 'get the pies'.

Mister Natural wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:Having managed to break two bones in my fingers on my right hand (by falling up a massive flight of 3 steps :ud: ), what about manual note entry only - no controller keyboards/guitars/drums. :hihi: Bring everyone down to my level.. :x
OUCH !

Get better
Cheers!

donkey tugger wrote: Being a really old bastard, I remember when the contest started (think I entered the second month) and limit was 30 seconds for quite a while. This was of course in the days of dial-up (nice title for a song... :hihi: ). Really made you plan what you were writing, or not, as my first entry was some random shite called, 'get the pies'.
I remember doing one 30 second piece a long time ago and several 2 minute ones.

I like the 3 minute rule, since it limits the amount of time it takes to listen to all the entries (when I have time to enter, which isn't often enough).

I was hoping that June contest was up today.

rollasoc wrote:
donkey tugger wrote: Being a really old bastard, I remember when the contest started (think I entered the second month) and limit was 30 seconds for quite a while. This was of course in the days of dial-up (nice title for a song... :hihi: ). Really made you plan what you were writing, or not, as my first entry was some random shite called, 'get the pies'.
I remember doing one 30 second piece a long time ago and several 2 minute ones.

I like the 3 minute rule, since it limits the amount of time it takes to listen to all the entries (when I have time to enter, which isn't often enough).
I can understand though that for some it's a bit limiting; for me 5 minutes is an epic, for some it's their intro. I do think it would be good to do a really short one again though at some point.

Looked in to see what's going on around here and I'm a bit puzzled to see the theme for June isn't up yet.

If there's a shortage of ideas, remember there was a list of suggestions in an earlier thread.

As for the other things that have been discussed, FWIW I like the 3 minute time limit. Too short? Make a "radio edit" for the contest and make a longer version for yourself and you fans.

I also like other limitations. I tend to get blank page syndrome, and experiments are fun.

To give the contest a bit more direction and purpose and fun, I suggest (expecting to be ignored or tut-tutted) the following every month:

A theme, preferably of current interest (e.g. summer, covfefe, pollen allergy, Twin Peaks)
A limitation (e.g. no bass drum, no chords, no reverb)
An obligatory element (e.g. dialogue from a specific film, bassoon, modulated filtering, tape start)
An obligatory freeware plugin (after all the raison d'etre of KVR is to promote and encourage the use of audio software)

All self-policed, based on the honour principle. Not convinced another contestant has followed the rules? Don't vote for her/him.

Return to “Music Cafe”