[Progressive Trance] Deep Thoughts

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Finaaalllly, I've finished a new track. What do you guys think?
https://soundcloud.com/locrius-1/deep-thoughts

I quite like it, except for some weird stuttering in the pads playing in the intro.

Tunes in similar style typically sound fatter and tighter but I like this more relaxed and spacious sound you have here (maybe the kick should be a bit stronger though).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Thanks for shedding your light!

Weird stuttering? That's a super cool tremolo effect! (I love rhythmic pads :D)

Yeah, it has definitely a more atmospherical feel than most trance songs. It was a fun experiment, I'm definitely going to throw out more songs in a similar style :)

I had the kick more powerful in earlier draft versions, but on some systems it really overpowered the other elements. Interesting to hear you feel it was too weak. Food for thought I'd say :)

agree with recursive about the kick. it sounds ok at the beginning alone, but then very weak
when the other instruments come in. this sounds like a problem with to much compression
on the master bus.
also, many drum loops are pre processed with compression stealing dynamic range in the low end.
i only use drum loops for mid and high content and use RM4's synthetic modeled
kick to ensure a good dynamic kick.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

niektb wrote:Thanks for shedding your light!

Weird stuttering? That's a super cool tremolo effect! (I love rhythmic pads :D)
Maybe play a bit more with the MSEG or whatever modulator you have controlling this effect? Because is sounds like a weird stutteriung :ud: Just make it a tad smoother i think.
niektb wrote: I had the kick more powerful in earlier draft versions, but on some systems it really overpowered the other elements. Interesting to hear you feel it was too weak. Food for thought I'd say :)
I'm not saying you failed to make a good kick. Just saying that maybe a bit stronger kick would make the track itself more goovy. Lazyer noted that the kick is overshadowed by other instruments, maybe that's a matter of equalization (try cutting some midrange frequencies in the synths to make more room for kick)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I don't have access to my DAW computer right now so I can't provide you with screenshots but essentially what I'm doing is this:
First of all I'm using a drum sampler in which I programmed some MIDI pattern (I didn't chop up any pre-processed drum loops), followed by a little bit of Ableton's EQ-8 and then 2 instances of NI's Supercharger GT. The first instance does standard drum bus compression and with a 100Hz high-pass in the detection chain. The second instance does some parallel compression to give it that low-end thumb.

At the master bus I only have an instance of EQ-8 (low cleaning en a little high shelf to reduce a bit of brightness), ableton's standard compressor with a really smooth knee and a few dB (max 5) of gain reduction and finally ableton's Limiter that's barely touched.

Is there something that could be the offender? It seems alright to me... Or should I do some more extreme sidechaining to the other instruments?
Maybe play a bit more with the MSEG or whatever modulator you have controlling this effect? Because is sounds like a weird stutteriung :ud: Just make it a tad smoother i think.
I use Soundtoys Tremolator for this purpose (they gave it away for free a while ago :) ), it indeed uses the dynamics of the incoming signal to determine how strongly the effect should be applied. Let me see if I can tune those settings ;)

Tremolo effect indeed starts odd and becomes tiring after a while. You may want to automate the depth for instance, fading this effect in coudl be interesting.

In general the mix suffers from low dynamics and lots of mud. Tons of reverb and the kick doesn't cut through. sidechain teh hell out of it.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks for your feedback @DJ Warmonger! :) Automating the tremolo sounds like a plan!

With low dynamics do you mean short-term (i.e. too much compression) or long-term (not enough different energy levels)?
Also, could you maybe point me in the right direction for 'lots of mud'? Do we have actual frequency clashing/too much going on at the same time, too much low-mid frequency in the track or should I work on cleaning instruments more?

All sounds are going in the same direction(Melody) You could make 2 Tracks of this if you would split it.
Sounds like the first jam session of a new track. Everything going in.

CharlyLN wrote:All sounds are going in the same direction(Melody) You could make 2 Tracks of this if you would split it.
Sounds like the first jam session of a new track. Everything going in.
You're right, it has different tension levels, different instruments etc. etc. but harmonically it consists of only A-sections, so to say... (I have to improve my composing skills :D )

Return to “Music Cafe”