3am - leftover table (self-defeating synth sequences w/video)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been having a lot of fun with this patch. 2 modular synths and a Make Noise 0-Coast improvising with each other. I let this one run on it's own, it's pretty dynamic without any human interaction. Very few external effects, little editing. Mostly just EQ to make everything fit together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3KGiaxXsjw

Soundclound link
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/leftover-table

Oh yeah!!! 10,000 posts!

justin3am wrote:I've been having a lot of fun with this patch. 2 modular synths and a Make Noise 0-Coast improvising with each other. I let this one run on it's own, it's pretty dynamic without any human interaction. Very few external effects, little editing. Mostly just EQ to make everything fit together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3KGiaxXsjw

Soundclound link
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/leftover-table

Oh yeah!!! 10,000 posts!
I like it, nice west coast flavor. I used to do a lot of these kinds of self playing machines with the Nord Modular. These days my hardware modular isn't really complete enough to do a good job of it and my tastes have shifted more to sample mangling than anything else.

The machines are following their human order, but do the humans follow any order ;)

Impressive :clap:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Two more patches... Skynet!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Thanks for listening!
zerocrossing wrote:Two more patches... Skynet!
I had an earlier variation of this patch which wasn't synced to a master tempo, that sounded more like a living machine, than in this recording. I'm bummed I didn't get a recording at that point. :dog:
This recording sounds 'sequenced' where the earlier version sounded like entities that reacted to each other, crashed against one another, building themselves up and then falling in cascading failure... I think this came out pretty well though.

I liked this too. (about to listen again)
It reminded me of this free Native Instruments standalone thingy from yrs back which ran like this with a few controls. Based on Reaktor. I still have it. :)
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Thanks!
Sounds like Metaphysical Function. I had a lot of fun with that while learning Reaktor. Things like that we w big inspiration. It's like sound design as composition. The whole song writing process is setting up this system to fire off different events in a way that seems random but is actually deterministic. It's been interesting to discover the different ways that I can play my synths but often it's fun to just let them play themselves. wink-wink nudge-nudge

Yep, PC only. :(
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

I know nothing about this modular stuff, but the track was both interesting and unsettling. Watching the machines do their thing was quite eerie. I felt much more comfortable when I realised that one of the green lights actually "made sense" to me.

Good work :)

Thanks for watching! I like that the LED activity could provide some insight into what's going on in the patch. The lights which show envelope activity are the most obvious (such as the green LEDs on the 0-Coast at the bottom-left). I often like to put a patch together in silence using the LEDs for feedback. Then I'll turn the sound on when I'm done, to see if I got close to how I imagined the sound would come out.

crazy sounds man. i especially enjoyed the low thumps. un-harmonically rich soundscape
with strange noise around every corner. great ambience!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”