Waldorf PPG 4?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unlikely, I know. But what would you like it to be? I'll start.

I love the sound but the horrible UI often makes me avoid it. Lose the hardware UI mimicking. Make it bigger.

Maybe another pass at the filter? I think they could get even closer. Maybe add the pre filter drive types from Largo.

Mod-Step sequencer. Then you get wave sequencing too.

Third oscillator. Maybe give it a VCO emulation mode as well.

Add a vector osc mixer.

More effects. Get creative like Repro-1.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Frankly, why hold on to such an antique architecture? Wavescanning sucks compared to wavetable morphing IMO, and the rest of the concept is pretty outdated too, see number of LFO's, envelopes, and the whole operation via tabs, and number displays. As far as user voices go, they pretty much nailed the PPG sound anyway with version 3, so, why not move forward? I don't think there's so many people still out for that kind of sound that it would make sense to develop just another version. I'd rather see something Largo, just more advanced. More wavetables, new filters, easier arpeggiator, better fx etc.

I still dream about finding an old PPG for a good price one day, but in the meantime I'm hoping that the Waldorf Quantum will partly satisfy that desire. I've found that my Modal electronics 002 has a bit of a PPG vibe.

chk071 wrote:Frankly, why hold on to such an antique architecture? Wavescanning sucks compared to wavetable morphing IMO, and the rest of the concept is pretty outdated too, see number of LFO's, envelopes, and the whole operation via tabs, and number displays. As far as user voices go, they pretty much nailed the PPG sound anyway with version 3, so, why not move forward? I don't think there's so many people still out for that kind of sound that it would make sense to develop just another version. I'd rather see something Largo, just more advanced. More wavetables, new filters, easier arpeggiator, better fx etc.
Well, I think there's something to having the vintage vibe of the PPG. It just doesn't benefit from a UI based on nonexistent hardware limitations. Another couple of LFOs and EGs... sure. I think you can have balance, like in Prophet V. The other stuff belongs in Largo 2, IMO.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Wavescanning can do more drastic timbre changes than wavemorphing IMO although both will have a constant fundamental pitch.

In a slightly different view you can't touch the wavestation either with wavemorphing because of various pitch blending between waves.

Its quite interesting actually like wavemapper/wavegenerator but it takes a lot of work to get going which is why the fixed factory made wavetables are what people prefer.

In any case, a filter really isn't necessary unless you have aliasing noise which sounds nice through a filter (which you could get through a regular synth though).

yul wrote:Wavescanning can do more drastic timbre changes than wavemorphing IMO although both will have a constant fundamental pitch.
Any synth capable of wave morphing, and modulating the wave index via a LFO, will be capable of wave scanning too though?

It won't ever be as drastic with standard lfo's unless you can do staircase modulation via mod sequence perhaps.

Also PPG had some form of interpolation by design coming from the ic chips which made a distinctive flavor in between changes iirc.

yes the UI is horrible, unusable, hire a good Designer, don't mind paying for a solid polished product, i'm on 3440x1440 resolution and cannot use it, All Waldorf products need a Facelift, really need to focus on usability.

Zerocrossing,how about PPG wavegenerator ?
It seems to have all those features,i always think of it as a ppg wave and waveterm with a modern gui and some extras.
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

yul wrote:It won't ever be as drastic with standard lfo's unless you can do staircase modulation via mod sequence perhaps.

Also PPG had some form of interpolation by design coming from the ic chips which made a distinctive flavor in between changes iirc.
Are you sure? I thought interpolation was something Waldorf added.
Zerocrossing Media

Yes interpolation but you may be right it might not be all revisions I don't know.

sergiofrias wrote:Zerocrossing,how about PPG wavegenerator ?
It seems to have all those features,i always think of it as a ppg wave and waveterm with a modern gui and some extras.
I must admit I kind of breezed past that one, but I'll have a look at it again. Is it the same filter that's in PPG 3?
Zerocrossing Media

I had a little chance to listen to the demos of PPG Wavegenerator. Nice, but they seem to not be quite what I had in mind. It seems like the true next generation PPG synth, but I think what I'm asking for is for a few modern features and some UI redesign on a vintage emulator. I'll dig into it deeper when I get home next week, but what I'm hearing sounds polished like Largo (which I have and love) but lacking that lo-fi digital grit that the PPG 3 plug in emulates so nicely. It could totally be the patch design of the tracks I'm hearing. Maybe I could try making the same patch on both synths and see what happens.
Zerocrossing Media

ppg4.....ppg5.....ppg100 people anticipating new versions every year.
And they ditch the old for the new.
Will it make their music any better? probably not.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:ppg4.....ppg5.....ppg100 people anticipating new versions every year.
And they ditch the old for the new.
Will it make their music any better? probably not.
...and you're at home, humming into a piece of wax paper and a comb, eh? Regular life of the party.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Instruments”