Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
8500 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:33 pm Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

I had been having problems with the ending of a track I had been working on for a couple of weeks, so I decided to leave it alone for a while and have a play with some Reaktor presets. This happened very quickly.

Cinematic/Synthetic/Not quite Ambient

mp3/192kbps/5:52/8.05MB

or, truly in the clouds:-

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/sagarmatha

Recorded/Mixed in EnergyXT2.7
Mastered in T-Racks CS

components and contraptions:-

Reaktor
B2
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer

DR - 11

The other track is still unfinished

Pass the oxygen
Last edited by seismic1 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastlanephil
KVRist
 
261 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:59 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

Interesting, beautiful, erie and frightening. Yes, it feels cinematic and is pretty minimal.

One way of ending it would be to repeat the first part but in reverse so it recedes back to silence.


:tu:
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
4228 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

The chords swell and swirl in a soothing way. Perhaps with some help from B2?

The piece is quite minimal but the excellent sound design and mix make for engaging late night listening. Good stuff. :tu:
User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
 
1725 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:56 am Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

Lovely peaceful track Tim. And those pads are so beautiful! The second section is very dramatic in a chilled way ;)
This is great for a wind-down from a busy day after dinner.
Well done!
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
8500 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:15 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

fastlanephil wrote:Interesting, beautiful, erie and frightening. Yes, it feels cinematic and is pretty minimal.

One way of ending it would be to repeat the first part but in reverse so it recedes back to silence.


:tu:


Thanks very much for the great comments, Phil. Glad you liked it :)

My comment about the problem I had ending a track referred to another piece that I was working on. I have decided to revisit that in a couple of weeks with fresh ears, and possibly, fresh ideas.
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
8500 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:29 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

Frantz wrote:The chords swell and swirl in a soothing way. Perhaps with some help from B2?


Undoubtedly B2 is contributing to the atmosphere on here, particularly when the alternating semitones are smeared into each other to produce the wind-line effect between 1:30 and 2:30

Frantz wrote:The piece is quite minimal but the excellent sound design and mix make for engaging late night listening. Good stuff. :tu:


I didn't do much in the way of sound design, other than identify a couple of Reaktor ensemble presets which sounded good together.

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
8500 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:22 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

Allomerus wrote:Lovely peaceful track Tim. And those pads are so beautiful! The second section is very dramatic in a chilled way ;)
This is great for a wind-down from a busy day after dinner.
Well done!
:)


This all came together very quickly (relative to my usual glacial progress), and most of it was written after dinner (or more accurately, between dinner and breakfast) :wink:

I really should spend more time with Reaktor.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, John. Glad you liked it :)
User avatar
nineofkings
KVRAF
 
1686 posts since 9 Apr, 2011

Postby nineofkings; Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:59 am Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

The "opening up" at around 1:25 is beautiful. The swelling pads give it a sense of drama, especially with the pauses in between chords at the very end.
User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
 
4444 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:25 am Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

very, very nice lead sound @00:24, Tim. well crafted if you designed it yourself or a great find, if not :hihi:
nice flowing melody and chord progressions. big, spacious mix. enjoyed much on a chill friday :phones: :tu:

it reminds me of one of my all time favorite tunes off the 1980's Audion best of both worlds CD
"Sunbound" by Kevin Braheny:
https://app.box.com/s/o5q4auilq0srv31dbfu94ehdhtg6fr3s

{edit}
just read frantz's comment above about the sound design.
great finds and sound layering! :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
8500 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:33 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

nineofkings wrote:The "opening up" at around 1:25 is beautiful. The swelling pads give it a sense of drama, especially with the pauses in between chords at the very end.


Thanks very much for the listen and comments, 9k. Glad you liked it :)

Having such great factory patches available made the job of composition so much easier. I've been scratching the surface of Reaktor recently. It's a fascinating and extremely powerful piece of software.
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
8500 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:18 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

layzer wrote:very, very nice lead sound @00:24, Tim. well crafted if you designed it yourself or a great find, if not :hihi:
nice flowing melody and chord progressions. big, spacious mix. enjoyed much on a chill friday :phones: :tu:


The sounds on here are all Reaktor5 presets. 3 instances in total. When I heard the presets, the track just wrote itself.
layzer wrote:it reminds me of one of my all time favorite tunes off the 1980's Audion best of both worlds CD
"Sunbound" by Kevin Braheny:
https://app.box.com/s/o5q4auilq0srv31dbfu94ehdhtg6fr3s


I hadn't heard this track before, but I know some of the others (Wendy Carlos, Ant Phillips, Larry Fast). I liked that Kevin Braheny track. I can definitely hear some similarities
layzer wrote:{edit}
just read frantz's comment above about the sound design.
great finds and sound layering! :wink:


Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Layzer. Glad you enjoyed it :)
thedeadsoul
KVRist
 
226 posts since 22 Oct, 2009, from Bandung, Indonesia

Postby thedeadsoul; Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:27 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

Hi Tim, been a while :)

great track, 1:25 is when I'm really in tune with it :) The sounds are perfectly balanced for me, without being too loud and keeping it soft at the same time. I would say this is soundtrack material, will work well in a sci fi movie as well :wink:

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul
User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
 
4444 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:23 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

cool to see our forum Seismic has his very own plugin! YAY!

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/seismic-by-syntonica

only for mac......booooooooooooooooo! :x
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
 
4444 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:32 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

https://app.box.com/s/o5q4auilq0srv31dbfu94ehdhtg6fr3s
seismic1 wrote:I hadn't heard this track before


of course you had'nt heard it,
its pretty obscure, not even on youtube
thus the upload to box :scared:

but as i said, i think its great. :clap:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
8500 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:45 pm Re: Sagarmatha (ElectroProg - Seismic Sightseeing)

thedeadsoul wrote:Hi Tim, been a while :)

great track, 1:25 is when I'm really in tune with it :) The sounds are perfectly balanced for me, without being too loud and keeping it soft at the same time. I would say this is soundtrack material, will work well in a sci fi movie as well :wink:

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul


Good to see you back in the Cafe, Adi. Thanks very much for listening and for the great comments. Glad you liked it :)

I'll try to listen to NT at the weekend
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe