Audio interface : does it really affect quality ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a Virus TI2, while I would like to connect it within an audio interface (Lexicon Alpha), I am afraid by rumors about the loss of quality from cheap audio interface.

Using a 2000 dollars synthesizer to loss its sound quality would be stupide.

So, 2 questions :

How does audio interface affect sound ?
Is it audible ? Can we hear the loss of quality ? Or do we loss about 2-3 purcents of the sound ?

Thanks!

You need to divide the cost of the interface into the cost of the synthesiser to get the approximate loss in sound quality in percent taking all factors into account.

So, if your interface cost $20000 then 2000/20000 = 0.1 % so that will be negligible, and just what you'e expect from connecting any two pieces of high quality gear. For a $200 interface, though, you can expect about a 10% quality loss. You can definitely hear that, it will sound like cats on a hot tin roof.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously ??!

Actually no, thats not completely accurate, but its close enough. The actual formula is a little more complex. You need to divide the cost of the interface by the number of channels, so for example if you buy an interface for $1600 with 8 analog inputs then the cost per channel is $200. And this is where it gets complicated, as you need to divide the cost of the synth by a value Y which is dependent on several factors, and is itself determined by a highly complex (and some would say subjective) differential equation, but for the sake of simplicity lets assume that this value is 10 for the Virus TI. So if we divide 2000 by 10, we get 200. Then we divide the cost per interface channel by this value. Usually this value Y is around the 10 mark for reputed synth manufacturers, and within the 5-15 mark for most synth manufacturers due to standardization and modern production methods. Which is why ghettosynth's simpler formula is actually close enough for practical purposes, and will give a pretty good approximation of the percentage of quality loss.

That's all a bit complicated. There was a cool video on YouTube that explained all this through the medium of interperative dance. But I can't find it just now.

But doesn't the TI2 have audio over USB? If you want to get the cleanest audio I'd say just plug it into a USB port and set that as your audio input.
Image Image Image Image

I trust 84 cent patch cables to handle signals in my $4000 modular.

Trust your ears. If you're using an interface that:

-- doesn't sound bad to you
-- doesn't have serious driver problems
-- has enough I/O, monitoring features etc. to do what you need it to
-- is not otherwise awkward or you hate it...

...then it's fine.

(edit: I forgot the "not" :hihi:)
Last edited by foosnark on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

I would think that the Virus > digital cable > interface = digits are digits, no matter the quality of the interface
Virus > interface audio ins = depends on the quality of the converters inside the interface

best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote:I would think that the Virus > digital cable > interface = digits are digits, no matter the quality of the interface
Virus > interface audio ins = depends on the quality of the converters inside the interface

best of luck
Yeah, not so sure, this is really going to depend on the quality of your interconnects, no? I mean, ok, if you're using a high quality USB cable like the audioquest diamond, maybe. Of course, this assumes that the A/D->D/A process in a high end interface doesn't actually improve the overall perception of sound quality despite the measurable degradation. I'm not sure that we can make that claim, after all, it is an analog process.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/first- ... usb-cable/

sprnva wrote:That's all a bit complicated. There was a cool video on YouTube that explained all this through the medium of interperative dance. But I can't find it just now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_PIjc2ga4
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

ghettosynth wrote:Yeah, not so sure, this is really going to depend on the quality of your interconnects, no?
Exactly!

You don't want to end up with a grainy old digital signal reproduced off vinyl... do you?

So you'll need the absolute best space-age atomic interconnects to preserve the analog digital quality of your bits for the purest possible reproduction!

Now as any man should know, you can't just wrap up your bits in any old plastic shrink-wrap and expect to be able to perform huge manly feats of manliness. No. You need real a manly wrap for your massive manly bits!
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Modern mid-priced ($200-$400) DACs are plenty fine for capturing almost anything including that TI2. Cables are cables. If they don't hum or crackle you're fine. Anything else is someone trying to sell you something (or convincing themselves it was a good idea to drop $3K on a boutique audio interface).
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:Modern mid-priced ($200-$400) DACs are plenty fine for capturing almost anything including that TI2. Cables are cables. If they don't hum or crackle you're fine. Anything else is someone trying to sell you something (or convincing themselves it was a good idea to drop $3K on a boutique audio interface).
Yeah, I don't know, have you tried The Wire? That's next level magic right there.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=450984&p=6304019&hi ... e#p6304019

ghettosynth wrote:Yeah, I don't know, have you tried The Wire? That's next level magic right there.
ghettosynth (from his other post) wrote:I'm a distributor for The Wire, and I can probably get you a discount if you're a reasonably successful artist and you're interested in promoting The Wire on your website, pm if interested.

The Wire is purchased separately for each bit rate that you are interested in, some artists try using the wrong bit rate The Wire for special effects, but it's neither recommended nor supported. This is a precision tool for precision engineers.
I rest my case.

bmrzycki wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Yeah, I don't know, have you tried The Wire? That's next level magic right there.
ghettosynth (from his other post) wrote:I'm a distributor for The Wire, and I can probably get you a discount if you're a reasonably successful artist and you're interested in promoting The Wire on your website, pm if interested.

The Wire is purchased separately for each bit rate that you are interested in, some artists try using the wrong bit rate The Wire for special effects, but it's neither recommended nor supported. This is a precision tool for precision engineers.
I rest my case.
Yes, I was totally reluctant to recommend it, because I agree, so many of these claims are clearly based on dubious science. However, I feel that the OP might be the discerning and serious engineer that can appreciate a next-level product like The Wire.

are you?
Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”