Create multitrack clip?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to copy and play with small, aligned sections of three very long MIDI tracks. The long tracks are just source material and much of it is not interesting. There are a few gems though that I would like to further refine.

I think this style of working with "clips" is more common in Ableton Live, but perhaps someone has figured out how to do it in MuLab as well? Here are the steps I have in mind:

1. Copy across multiple tracks at once
2. Place the result in its own, multitrack MIDI player
3. Loop play the MIDI player while processing MIDI and audio
4. Record the result

-d. vyd

The best solution I've found is a bit tedious:

1. Change the snap settings (in the lower right corner) to 1/128 or 1/256 in order to set up good looping points and identify an interesting MIDI clip across all three tracks.

2. Manually, right-click on each track exactly where the loop points cross the track and select "split". For three tracks, I need to do that six times (start and end).

3. Select all three of the clips and copy them.

4. Open a new project and paste the clips into the project.

5. Select all of the clips and export as MIDI

I can confirm that this saves all three MIDI tracks, notes, and pitch bend. Does anyone have a faster workflow?

Upon further examination, steps 3 and 4 are not necessary. Once split and selected, it is possible to export all three clips (3 tracks) as a single MIDI file fromt the current project.

I take that back. Some of the files have the whole tracks and not just the clips I want. I might be selected incorrectly. The process of making clips and saving them as MIDI files in MuLab is a bit tedious. Is there a better way?

Return to “MUTOOLS”