Project: Sci Fi Guy

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, it's that time again. What's your go-to synth for out there sci fi soundscapes, FX, and all around weird shit? I know any synth can do this stuff, yes, even Diva. But I'm looking for synths that you don't have to work your tail off to get weird stuff out of. Diva, Legend, stuff like that is certainly not at the top of the list.

Here's the list I have so far out of the synths I own. It doesn't matter if you name a synth I own that I don't have listed. I'm not actually looking for buy another synth but maybe look at something that I do own that I've overlooked.

My list so far in Alphabetical order

ABSynth 5
ArcSyn (really surprised me)
Bazille
Cyclop
Falcon
KarmaFX
Modular V3
MUX
Omnisphere 2
Reaktor (several oddball ensembles)
Serum
Softube Modular
Synthmaster 2
The Mangle
VirtualCZ
Zebra 2

And of course FX are very important too. My Valhala stuff pretty much has that covered.

Anyway, what's your go-to synth for making soundscapes, sci fi noises, and all around weirdness?

Thanks in advance.

The XILS 3/4 emulates the VCS3, which is one of the all-time iconic synths for sci-fi sound effects.

andrelafosse wrote:The XILS 3/4 emulates the VCS3, which is one of the all-time iconic synths for sci-fi sound effects.
You know what? I get that. But when I did my library for it, I only made 100 patches. Why? That synth is incredibly complicated to program and it takes forever to make a patch. So I'd prefer to stay away from it if I can. But you're right, it's a great synth for that stuff. I just don't want to work that hard on a project that I'm just doing for fun.

Alchemy
Dust
Repro-1
Reaktor 6
FX: B2

Kairatune, and it's free.

Why is everybody saying s*it these days?
wagtunes wrote:... shit ...
Best synth for your situation shall remain nameless. It's perfect but you wouldn't like it.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Cinebient wrote:Alchemy
Dust
Repro-1
Reaktor 6
FX: B2
Ah, Alchemy. If only I had it. Repro-1's a little CPU heavy but I guess I could freeze stuff. Reaktor I've got checked and use it a lot. And yes, I freeze all the blocks stuff as it's a total hog.

B2. Never heard of it. Who makes it?

chuck death wrote:Kairatune, and it's free.
I actually used to have that installed but for some reason removed it. Is that 64 bit or one of those 32 bit plugins?

2CAudio - B2
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

chuck death wrote:Kairatune, and it's free.
Never mind. Just looked it up. It is 64 bit. Not sure why I got rid of it unless I just didn't like the sound. Will check it out again and see if it fits for what I'm doing.

Aloysius wrote:2CAudio - B2
For $250 I'm sure it's amazing. But I think I'll pass. That's more than I've spent on any synth with the exception of Omnisphere, which I actually got for free because I sold a ton of hardware to be able to afford it.

But yeah, at that price, it better be the best whatever it is on the planet.

Do you have an iPad?

If so, I might add:

SynthScaper
Laplace
Wolfgang Palm's new PPG Infinite

zadillo wrote:Do you have an iPad?

If so, I might add:

SynthScaper
Laplace
Wolfgang Palm's new PPG Infinite
No, all my stuff is done on PC.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chapelle wrote:Apart from those already mentioned, the Korg Wavestation and the Arturia Prophet V (mostly because of the Prophet VS part) might be worth a look.
Ah crap, how did I forget about the Prophet VS? I just finished a whole library of nothing but that kind of stuff. Now you know I'm just not thinking straight.

As for the Wavestation, forget it. I can't work with that GUI. It is a total nightmare. In fact, it may be the single worst GUI ever made and I'm talking going back to the hardware synth that I owned many years ago. Loved the sound but that interface was a total piece of crap. Maybe the DX 7 gives it a run for its money.

Return to “Instruments”