1968 Pt 9 (Nine)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gone
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Googly Smythe wrote: Enjoy!! :party:

I did! What a trip! Deserves a repeat listen.
Loved the beginning...nice long atmospheric intro...and then the many changes. Shades of psychedelica. :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote: Enjoy!! :party:

I did! What a trip! Deserves a repeat listen.
Loved the beginning...nice long atmospheric intro...and then the many changes. Shades of psychedelica. :D
Glad you liked it! :party:
PS
Don't forget to listen to parts 1-8 (plug plug)! :D

The production sound is very good...and I'm just listening on these small PC speakers.
Are you using Slate for your dynamics/EQ?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:The production sound is very good...and I'm just listening on these small PC speakers.
Are you using Slate for your dynamics/EQ?
Hi, Annode, thanks for listening.
I test all my stuff on my phone and (ancient) hi-fi before finishing them off. I also listen to a lot of music (and tennis) through my "studio" monitors, so I've got to know them pretty well.
As for Slate, the only plugin of theirs I have is the old version (before the virtual rack) of the Consoles plugin. Stopped using it when the VR came out - didn't like the "workflow". Hey ho.
The drum channels are mostly Waves API 550A and elysia mpressor (8 channels worth), most of the rest is just MJUC, with mpressor again on the piano, which also goes through BX BassDude. All the amp sims are Amplitube - 4 "Fenders" and 4 "Peavey 5150s".
I use the system of multiple compressors :o that do very little, so all my tracks have compressors, then they go through a set of busses (Waves REDD 37-57 and Waves API2500 for the drums, Waves REDD17 and Waves API2500 for the basses, BX Digital 3/Vertigo VSC-2 for all the rest), then they go through a smaller set of buses (Waves PuigChild) to the master. I know, overkill and against the received wisdom here at KVR - but I'm old enough not to give a sh*t! :D

Currnetly working on Pt 10 (stuck in that timewarp) where I plan to use the Waves TG12345 on every track and buss, with a PuigChild and RS56 on the master - just like in the good ol' days!

Too much info, eh! :tu:

This is great info!
I know from asking you in the past you structure your tracks and bussing this way ...with great results.
(maybe thinking of Frank Arnold w/the Slate stuff.)
Nobodies mixes/masters sound better then yours at KvR. I know you monitor with tabletop speakers, which speak volumes about your routing/mixing skill. Give me a bit of time to look into all this and I'll be back to talk about it a little with you, if your cool with that? Can you dig it?
EDIT - concerning the music itself...like the descending experiment, worked out very well I think. It all reminds me of Genesis, of course. :)

Thanks.
Barry.

well that was very enjoyable. May only be 8 chords, but it's a bit like stone soup - all the other bits give it the flavour :)
Oh, and sounded fine on a pair of truly ancient Ferguson 'bookcase' speakers.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

annode wrote:... Give me a bit of time to look into all this and I'll be back to talk about it a little with you, if your cool with that? Can you dig it? . :)

Thanks.
Barry.
No probs!

folderol wrote:well that was very enjoyable. May only be 8 chords, but it's a bit like stone soup - all the other bits give it the flavour :)
Oh, and sounded fine on a pair of truly ancient Ferguson 'bookcase' speakers.
Ferguson - the name reeks of nostalgia! :D :tu:

Nice production on this!

It reminds me of the 1970 live Filmore version of the Byrds playing Eight Miles High. That’s pretty high! It was a progressive instrumental jam of the intro to the song. As I listened to 1968 (pt 9) I imagined it also as an intro to a rock song with vocals. What would this song be about? Who would sing it? I’ll never know but thanks for the great prog rock. Definitely fits in with late 60s/early 70s.

A short American conversation 1968;
-A Can you dig it?
-B I can dig it.
-A I knew that you could. :)
Writing that above, I forgot it's most likely just an old American hippy phrase.

I have the Waves API, Redd and Puigchild stuff. I read up on the BX Digital 3/Vertigo VSC-2 and mpressor.
I have a habit of just grabbing just about any quality effect as I go along, often without thinking 'that is better then this. I just use anything. It's not a practical way to approach production but a creative way to work.
I have used the API and know how well they work. I need to rethink this and work them into my choices. With ambient like I make usually, I don't have use for dynamics processors much anymore. But the API EQs are excellent for ambient sounds. I love using shelving EQ.
The mpressor seems like a no-brainer compressor. I can understand it's appeal with drums. I really like the Vertigo VSC-2 and BX Digital 3. Amazing stuff! Maybe one day.

Using compressors in channels/group busses and sub-master/master work well without being overdone. Of course your productions are proof of that for sure.
As far as just having some in the chain for the sake of hoping they add circuit emulation essence to the sound is another story.
Inserting the Redd might well be the exception. Just being in the circuit colors the sound as I understand it. Compressors/EQ on the other hand have to be active, and it's how they operate internally which create their individual coloration. (just speaking openly...not speaking to inform you.)

You've created a system and it works very well. It's amazing how well it all can sound.
I want to start recording acoustic/electric guitar, bass and vocal in the future. I will absolutely use your personal routing setup with the API and Redd for those recordings.
EDIT - note to others reading the above...using these amazing plugins doesn't make you sound good on their own. Yeah maybe you'll choose the right presets, but mostly you won't and make bad decisions. It takes yrs of listening to acquire an ear for this. It takes a long time to assimilate a pair of monitors into a valuable tool. So I just want to say after all this plugin lust, it's still all about the decisions we make which make good and bad productions.
Cheers!
Barry.

Return to “Music Cafe”