Disable plugins in Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I finally decided to upgrade to v2.x. One feature I missed from v1.x was to disable plugins in the device browser. Is there in v2.x some way to disable plugins from showing up in in the device browser? With this i mean VST instruments and effects.

For instance, if I have both the VST2 and the VST3 plugin, both will be available in the browser. Can I, without deleting the file, disable any of them from displaying there?

Also, this could be convenient if you know you have a plugin that is really unstable in Bitwig, and therefore want to disable it, some kind of blacklisting of sorts.

In Studio One there are two ways of doing this. Either by editing the vstplugins file, or you can choose to "hide" the plugin by right clicking on it. In Bitwig right clicking and hiding is not an option, and all the settings files seem to be encrypted.

Is there either an official or an unofficial way of doing this?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I agree. This could let us not accidentally use plugins that don't work (for me, Access Virus TI vst). Also, supporting multiple plugin directories is good but I think maybe it causes duplicates to show up? (I see this with Waves Electric 88).

Pretty sure there is a filter option in the browser, at the bottom, allowing you to filter the results that show up.

I can create "collections", if that is what you mean. But instead of creating one group that says "do not use these ones" and another group called "these are the ones to use", I would rather be able to hide or blacklist plugins to show up at all in the browser. Much more convenient, and much better looking.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:I can create "collections", if that is what you mean. But instead of creating one group that says "do not use these ones" and another group called "these are the ones to use", I would rather be able to hide or blacklist plugins to show up at all in the browser. Much more convenient, and much better looking.
Yes, I'd love that feature - I have multiples for most plugins (32 & 64-bit VST2, VST3) and Waves in particular is crazy with how much options they offer, e.g. for one H-Reverb .dll there's like 16 instances available in the browser: mono, stereo, mono/stereo, long, short, 5.1, 7.1, etc. and so on. Sure I can just 'favourite' the ones that I use, but 'hiding' selected plugins from the browser would be preferable indeed!

Let's bomb support@bitwig.com with feature requests for this :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

rename blabla.dll or blabla.vst3 > blabla.dllbkp or blabla.vst3bkp?

connmach wrote:rename blabla.dll or blabla.vst3 > blabla.dllbkp or blabla.vst3bkp?
Sure, but what if I want to have access to them in other software that allows for hiding plugins (like Studio One)? Also, for plugins that are installed the unistaller will lose track of all the files and will leave a mess.
Music tech enthusiast

If you are using OSX, create a separate VST folder "VST (Disabled)" in your plugins folder and drop the plugins you want to hide in to there. They won't show up in any of your audio applications though but it's not a bad workaround.

For me it's a bad workaround, same goes for renaming. In some DAWs the VST3 works better, in some they don't work at all, or are very unstable. So hiding or blacklisting a plugin would be a very nice addition. This is possible in many other DAWs.

starflakeprj wrote:For me it's a bad workaround, same goes for renaming. In some DAWs the VST3 works better, in some they don't work at all, or are very unstable. So hiding or blacklisting a plugin would be a very nice addition. This is possible in many other DAWs.
for me it's not a big enough problem, just rename them :phones:

phantomverse wrote:If you are using OSX, create a separate VST folder "VST (Disabled)" in your plugins folder and drop the plugins you want to hide in to there. They won't show up in any of your audio applications though but it's not a bad workaround.
That wouldn't work for a lot of Waves' plugins, e.g. H-Reverb which is just a single .dll, but in each DAW shows up as 10+ individual plugins for short & long tails, mono & stereo, 5.1 & 7.1, etc. and combinations thereof. So I can't just move the file.
Music tech enthusiast

Is there still no way to properly disable all plugins in the current version of Bitwig?

I don't need to use any third party plugins with Bitwig and would love to not have to load anything. I just want to quickly start Bitwig without any scanning.
Last edited by jackson881 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackson881 wrote:Is there still no way currently to properly disable all plugins in Bitwig 2.4?
How can we know, if even beta is not out yet?
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote:How can we know, if even beta is not out yet?
Apologies, I meant in the "current" version of Bitwig. I edited my post.

jackson881 wrote:Is there still no way to properly disable all plugins in the current version of Bitwig?

I don't need to use any third party plugins with Bitwig and would love to not have to load anything. I just want to quickly start Bitwig without any scanning.
Remove all VST paths from your paths preferences?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Return to “Bitwig”