what is the easiest way and the cheapest way how to copyright a song?

Official support for: image-line.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I noticed that on this fourm. Users Play there songs on SoundCloud. I think this is a wonderful idea. To get constructive criticism. But I have to wonder, doesn't anybody ever wonder about copyright infringement? I'm pretty ignorant on this subject. But I wonder how does one protect themselves? I am looking for the most easiest and inexpensive way to do this. :?:

The poor copyright is to burn a cd and mail to yourself. Don't open it. It will have the date stamp from the post. Other more official means depends where you live somebody more knowledgeable than I am will probably tell you all about it.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Hello and thank you for your reply.
I used to do something like that back in the early 1990. Except that I would have the postmaster place the contents into the parcel. Then I would have him sign them over the openings. And then place cellophane tape over the signature and the openings. One day I went in to do a poor man's copyright. And he said he could not do that Anymore.
But that just gave me an idea. Couldn't I go to a friend's house and have him mail it to me? Somebody I could trust. I could also have him inspect the materials going in. And have him sign.
Wouldn't this work? Again thank you for your reply. :neutral:

You have copyright when you create, but you register copyright for protection. If you don't register your copyright with the copyright office then if/when someone infringes you have to sue for damages and you will find it very hard to find a lawyer to take the case. If, however, you have registered your copyright, lawyers will be jumping at the chance to represent you because there will be statutory damages (i.e. MONEY regardless of damages) AND they know that attorney fees will be included.

Poor man's copyright is a myth ... all that would do at best is be evidence that you may have been the one who created the work. Registration is prima facie evidence that you own the copyright .. meaning that because you have the registration certificate and the copyright office has a copy of the creation YOU are the owner, and the law recognizes that you are the owner.

low_low wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:18 pm You have copyright when you create, but you register copyright for protection.
That the depends tho m8. In the UK if i post a story online and even content in posts like these will be enough to invoke copyrights on the material and will be enough to server as evidence in court.

In the US, you can copyright a bunch of songs as one album and you end up paying less of a fee per song (not sure if it works the same elsewhere). So if you group them together as an album and copyright the whole album it's cheaper that way.

Return to “Image Line”