Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

1885 posts since 11 May, 2011, from The 51st state

Postby Googly Smythe; Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:24 pm 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

Time, again, to light a joss-stick or three for another slice of the same old same old.
If you've listened to any of the other 9 parts, you'll know what to expect.
This one does have a nice psychedelic finale!

Be aware, it's fairly quiet to start but gets quite loud.

https://soundcloud.com/googly-smythe/19 ... -gone-band

All the usual suspects:
Tamboura and tabla sample loops;
Drums by GrooveAgent 4 (Studio Kit);
Guitars by Shreddage;
Brass by EastWest 25th Anniversary Brass;
Oohs and aahs by The Ladies (when they're not blowing their horns!);
Bass, organs, mellotron (flute, strings and choir), "sitars", etc by HALion 5.

A Waves TG12345 on every instrument channel (33!), Waves REDD and API2500 on subs/buses, Brainworx on the master.
Amplitube Fender Metalhead and 5150 on the rhythm guitars, Brainworx Chandler (newly purchased) on lead and backwards guitar.
Valhalla Vintage for reverb, Satin for echo and flanging.

Enjoy! :party: :tu:
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

Postby Googly Smythe; Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:37 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 (yawn)

Anyone ever heard of a late 60s/early 70s band called Quintessence?
In '69 I bought an Island (the record label) sampler album (an album with tracks from their stable of artistes) and there was a track on it by this band Quintessence called Gange Mai...

https://youtu.be/lfJGKVzzQmw?t=831

... or the full album...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJGKVzzQmw

It's my memory of this, along with The Moody Blues' In Search Of The Lost Chord (1968), that has been the inspiration behind all this 1968 stuff.
Gawd bless 'em, wherever they are now. You are not forgotten!

EDIT:
Oops! Forgot to link to a Moody Blues video! :oops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Ja4u8_RGQ
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

Postby Googly Smythe; Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 am Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

burmp
seismic1
KVRAF

8604 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:53 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

Anyone who knows their Shpongle or PsyTrance should have heard of Quintessence.

This was very entertaining. You've managed to pack quite a lot into this one. I particularly enjoyed the Tabla and the Brass, and the track certainly had a lot of drive and propulsion.

Good work :)
annode
KVRAF

6037 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 am Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

Great track as expected. Sounds a bit crispy fried but that's OK.
Didn't care for what I listened to of Quintessence. They did remind me of a 1969 record I used to play often back then, Earth Opera - "The Great American Eagle Tragedy" My fave MB record was "On the Threshold of a Dream" 1969 (can you find the connection between Earth Opera and The Moody Blues?) ...anyway, check out this track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC-nj68X19c
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

Postby Googly Smythe; Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:18 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

seismic1 wrote:Anyone who knows their Shpongle or PsyTrance should have heard of Quintessence.

This was very entertaining. You've managed to pack quite a lot into this one. I particularly enjoyed the Tabla and the Brass, and the track certainly had a lot of drive and propulsion.

Good work :)

Thank, kind sir, muchly appreciated!
I can't take credit for the tablas - I only selected them from a sample loop pack. :oops: Hand-crafted loops for the next one. (All the rest was me, though. :D )
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

Postby Googly Smythe; Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:29 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

annode wrote:Great track as expected. Sounds a bit crispy fried but that's OK.
Didn't care for what I listened to of Quintessence. They did remind me of a 1969 record I used to play often back then, Earth Opera - "The Great American Eagle Tragedy" My fave MB record was "On the Threshold of a Dream" 1969 (can you find the connection between Earth Opera and The Moody Blues?) ...anyway, check out this track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC-nj68X19c

Crispy fried - the title of my next track! Yeah, all those TGs. By coincidence, there's a thread on that very topic... Well, almost:
( http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6917437 )

Earth Opera/Moody Blues -
Peter Rowan [of Earth Opera] contributed to the 2011 bluegrass tribute album to the British progressive rock band The Moody Blues, entitled Moody Bluegrass TWO...Much Love, singing lead vocal on Mike Pinder's song "Dawn Is a Feeling".

That's all I could find.
Interestingly, this topic was the top answer in Google! (Search: "earth opera" connections to "the moody blues".)

The poem-intro to Threshold seems somehow prophetic...
First Man:
I think...
I think I am.
Therefore I am!
I think...

Establishment:
Of course you are, my bright little star...
I've miles and miles of files
Pretty files of your forefather's fruit
And now to suit our great computerGoogle
You're magnetic ink!

First Man:
I'm more than that
I know I am...
At least, I think I must be

Inner Man:
There you go, man
Keep as cool as you can
Face piles of trials with smiles
It riles them to believeGoogle
That you perceive
The web they weave...
And keep on thinking free

The Great Computer being Google. :?

Oh, thanks for listening! Much as I do this just for fun, it's nice if someone actually likes it. :tu:
jancivil
KVRAF

13172 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:43 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

-----
FO
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

Postby Googly Smythe; Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:48 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

jancivil wrote:really good tabla here
wait, they're loops
very effective anyway

:D :party: :tu:
annode
KVRAF

Postby annode; Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:01 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

Crispy fried - the title of my next track! Yeah, all those TGs. By coincidence, there's a thread on that very topic... Well, almost:
( http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6917437 )

TGs, no doubt about it. :)
Yeah, I did see that thread yesterday but didn't want to get involved.haha
Earth Opera/Moody Blues -

You are correct sir! I happened to see that looking for the earth Opera release date.
...and google found that with that search algo? Amazing!

I used to service automated teller machines (ATM) in 1980. They used cards/paper tape and a thing called MICR (magnetic ink character recognition) haha

I posted that Earth Opera because I felt 'if you had a 60s band they might sound a lot like that.' You didn't comment on the track though. :(
fastlanephil
KVRist

333 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:35 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label

I enjoyed your latest installment of the late sixties super psychedelic genre. I think you’ve captured the essence of the experimental nature of it all.

I’ve never heard of that band. There were a number of those types of bands that arose out of the swirling scented mist that followed the unbarbered and unwashed like ghosts of the great Hindu gods.

I remember a few of them. Some were backup bands for better known Bay Area bands like It’s A Beautiful Day or fill ins for one day mini rock festivals. Many of those musicians probably finished school and became programmers.

:tu:
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

Postby Googly Smythe; Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:25 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

annode wrote:...
I posted that Earth Opera because I felt 'if you had a 60s band they might sound a lot like that.' You didn't comment on the track though. :(

Well, I don't like to criticise something* that another obviously likes, but...
I just found the singer to be a bit "shouty", if you know what I mean. Although not equating, it's one of the reasons I hate rap/hip-hop et al, all that shouting! I prefer "proper" singing (whatever that means :wink: ).
However, I just might reference the music of Earth Opera, which I quite enjoyed. So, thanks for pointing me in their direction. :party:

This is why I rarely comment on other music in the cafe...
Googly Smythe
KVRAF

Postby Googly Smythe; Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:27 pm Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label

fastlanephil wrote:I enjoyed your latest installment of the late sixties super psychedelic genre. I think you’ve captured the essence of the experimental nature of it all.

I’ve never heard of that band. There were a number of those types of bands that arose out of the swirling scented mist that followed the unbarbered and unwashed like ghosts of the great Hindu gods.

I remember a few of them. Some were backup bands for better known Bay Area bands like It’s A Beautiful Day or fill ins for one day mini rock festivals. Many of those musicians probably finished school and became programmers.

:tu:

Thanks for listening! :tu:

And thanks for this phrase...
...arose out of the swirling scented mist that followed the unbarbered and unwashed like ghosts of the great Hindu gods...
Brilliant!
annode
KVRAF

Postby annode; Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:57 am Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

Googly Smythe wrote:
annode wrote:...

Well, I don't like to criticise something* that another obviously likes, but...
I just found the singer to be a bit "shouty", if you know what I mean. Although not equating, it's one of the reasons I hate rap/hip-hop et al, all that shouting! I prefer "proper" singing (whatever that means :wink: ).
However, I just might reference the music of Earth Opera, which I quite enjoyed. So, thanks for pointing me in their direction. :party:

This is why I rarely comment on other music in the cafe...

The shouting was typical of American 1968> Vietnam war protest music. I just missed the draft...I would have most likely been killed had I gone.
It's not a sin to say you didn't care for it.
kryptonaut
KVRian

701 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Postby kryptonaut; Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:29 am Re: 1968 Pt 10 - genuine retro 60s psychedelia (it says so, right here on the label)

I just listened to the whole of 1968 parts 1-10 - it's really good stuff, captures the psychedelic rock vibe perfectly. I think part 10 is really strong, loving the delicious flanginess at the end!

The album as a whole is coherent but not samey - I very much enjoyed listening to it, right up my alley - thanks for sharing! :) :tu:
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe