Nuages [new]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5kswZO3drU

nowhere close to a final mix.
or is it. kind of risky choices, kind of a lot of dirt.

long tones again. mood shifts before it's all over. it starts off quiet, I wouldn't recommend cranking up the volume behind it though.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ver' nice flow ...

agreeing w/ the risky choices statement .
some of the upper register elements took me to the edge of uncomfortable .
but just ... not quite over ...

if i was mixing it , i would probably roll those off a bit .
got some old ears though ...

nice work ... again ...

thank you
yeah, that's one of the things, the highs. I know those moments are super-resonant. I'd like to hear it on different sound systems, I haven't even heard it flat yet. It's the kind of thing you don't want to kill by taming. I didn't apply any EQ cuts up there. It used to be you'd never get to hear that in a recording, because tape. So I kind of get off on it.

I just played this, and when it finished your YT took me to a newer version. I listened to both of them with the phones (Beyer DT990 Pro) and my monitors (KRK Rokit 5) using my Pod Studio UX2. I was hearing what sounded like clipping distortion on the original from 2:07-2:25, and on the new render from 1:45-2:25. Interestingly, there was a small click/pop at 2:25 on each version (as if a plugin was being turned off or on. After this point the distortion stopped although the highs were not present after 2:16. My interface is almost 9 years old and has had a lot of use. It would be interesting to hear other comments.

Good work :)

Yeah, the same mistake exists in each. I rebuilt the project and that particular file is gone.
And stuck a limiter on the returning output of VE Pro. :clown:
In fact something got doubled in my panic to export before my trial ran down. Cubase actually crashed twice and restarted with 0 seconds remaining, tho'
two more whole days at 0 seconds to remain ignint

it's not subjective, one of the renders of a synth out is way past 0dB. In fact 2:06 thru 2:24 there is! Must've missed a click.

sorry bout that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIYJ2_e ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Py0TLLm4Js

Still there is the one click. Which I tracked back to automating Replika XT, pretty sure.
Massively f**ked-up project management, many layers of rendering shit and moving on because of a computer that just isn't enough for it.

and, no. It's NI The Giant, some kind of glitch in the combo of things I have loaded in it at least on this POS. This has been probably the worst computer music creation experience ever. Crash after crash. Reconstructing the thing today.
done

FTR, the 'digital clipping' didn't strike me like that, it was kind of ugly and quite distorted, but in the whole of this dodgy soundworld (it's noisy on purpose) it was just one thing to address mixing for me. I saw the waveforms before I posted, in other words.

The clicking drove me nuts and couldn't be totally got rid of. Nice patch in The Giant I got but I'm not returning to that crime scene. FINALLY there was but one kind of noticeable one which I addressed in the audio editor. It wasn't that horror which really did sound like you turned something on or off in Cubase. And there were a lot more than one, only obscured while one was terribly exposed. Thanks for pointing that out and it was helpful to consider the distortion an emergency.

I'm very happy with the sound design; and finally I went with some impossible notes in piccolo flute (which I never heard of before; if they're stretched it was one hell of a job because it's just realistic) which results in a really quite insane effect. i decided to give a lot fewer f**ks on this.

Youse do not want to really crank this on any system, full warning. The avant-garde composer refuses to die.

Nice. The first half would make a great piece of alternative scoring for the film Alien. I was thinking of the scene where John Hurt received an unexpected face massage.

It's got quite a dense sound, but there is a lot of movement in the lows and low mids, which adds to the general air of anxiety. Cue part 2 where the camera cuts to a garden party scene in a suburban back yard, where tea and sandwiches are served. I'm feeling quite surreal today, in case you hadn't noticed.

I'm still working in a 32-bit host. I could move to 64-bit, but I'm kind of happy where I am at the moment, although I've managed to sidestep the crashes by taking a more minimal approach to instrumentation.

Good work :)

I'm using a bunch of samples on the same 5400 RPM drive the system works from. It should be crashing like this. I have to buy an SSD but I have other costs eating me up.

I've been hearing a fair bit of music from the 70s, before this whole scooping trend got started.
there was one Zappa solo from 1980 I heard recently where the guitar was insanely huge, this gigantic bass coming out of the guitar just eating up the whole room and then some. None of that ever made it anywhere near a record, no one would stand for it.

I actually used Replika XT 'Tape Verb' to add grain to this.

thanks

v.2 up
edit: see below

Yeah, C#7 (Yamaha numbering, 4 octaves above 'middle' C#.) on the piccolo. Ok, then.
This thing is about done.

Absynth; SonicCouture Geosonics, Glassworks, Bowed Gamelan, Toy Grand Piano; NI The Giant; HandHeld Vibes; VSL Piccolo, percussions; Sabian Digital Vault in BFD3. Relatively sparse percussion, though. NI Replika XT and Hybrid Reverb by VSL.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's much better.

That Tape Verb sounds great. I've been running some Z3ta+2 pads through it. Translucent.

Yeah, thanks guys

I'd not mind hearing it via an ideal setup but then again I'd rather have it a bit dodgy than pristine.
The highs are a bit mad, isn't it.

re Replika XT, I got this quasi-roll happening for the Toy Piano and Vibes combo in one patch, good thing because the rolls in this vibes library weren't happening.

final, in all likelihood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxo6SrGwqrU

Listen at 2:17. There's a small click (most noticeable in the left channel, I think).

that is weird, I feel like I'm losing my mind.

I know I obliterated it this time, but I wa sure I had before. WHAT IS REALITY

Return to “Music Cafe”