Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

External instrument tracks?

zerocrossing
KVRAF

9049 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:57 am External instrument tracks?

Is there a way to do an external instrument track that receives MIDI from a controller, sends it to a synth, then receives audio from my interface, or is this something that takes two tracks? I didn’t see anything in the manual about this. Thanks.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
Peter Widdicombe
KVRist

239 posts since 28 Aug, 2014

Postby Peter Widdicombe; Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:12 am Re: External instrument tracks?

I guess we'd like to know what you're trying to do. Are you talking a .VST style synth, or a real physical MIDI hardware synth? Normally you would want to record just the MIDI events, as you can then easily modify them (fix errors), and they take next to no storage; and can recreate things.

If you really want to record the MIDI plus Audio on 2 separate tracks, you can do that too; the procedure is different (somewhat) if it's virtual or physical. If physical, you'd need the MIDI interface, plus output of the synth into an audio interface.

If virtual, just record MIDI and then afterward "render" the output of the MIDI track to another (audio) track (normally only done if the .VST really eats up system resources, or you're doing some real-time playing with non-recordable modifiers).
zerocrossing
KVRAF

Postby zerocrossing; Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 am Re: External instrument tracks?

Oh, I thought my description of it being “external,” was good, but what I mean is, I want to arm a track to receive a MIDI signal from a Novation Remote 61 and send that MIDI to a Prophet 6 module. Then, get the audio from the Prophet 6, But have this all done in a single track, like you can in Live or Bitwig by using their External instrument device. Does that make sense?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
Peter Widdicombe
KVRist

Postby Peter Widdicombe; Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:33 am Re: External instrument tracks?

You can actually have 2 inputs to a track, so record MIDI and audio together; but it might be more convenient to keep them as separate tracks. You can ignore the MIDI track unless possibly you want to correct and redo later. Or always play the Prophet via the MIDI track.

On the input section, specify you have 2 inputs, then on the input section you have 2 spaces for input devices - make one your audio input device, and the other being the MIDI input. Send track output midi to the midi interface while recording - although that doesn't allow you to HEAR the output of the synth (unless you hear it through a mixer external to Waveform). On playback, send output to the audio.
zerocrossing
KVRAF

Postby zerocrossing; Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:17 pm Re: External instrument tracks?

Peter Widdicombe wrote:although that doesn't allow you to HEAR the output of the synth (unless you hear it through a mixer external to Waveform). On playback, send output to the audio.

WUT. :?
Last edited by zerocrossing on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing
KVRAF

Postby zerocrossing; Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 am Re: External instrument tracks?

Peter Widdicombe wrote:You can actually have 2 inputs to a track, so record MIDI and audio together; but it might be more convenient to keep them as separate tracks. You can ignore the MIDI track unless possibly you want to correct and redo later. Or always play the Prophet via the MIDI track.

On the input section, specify you have 2 inputs, then on the input section you have 2 spaces for input devices - make one your audio input device, and the other being the MIDI input. Send track output midi to the midi interface while recording - although that doesn't allow you to HEAR the output of the synth (unless you hear it through a mixer external to Waveform). On playback, send output to the audio.

Wow. This makes Tracktion Waveform pretty much the most awkward and unusable DAW I've ever worked with, and I've been using DAWs since Opcode's Studio Vision Pro. It's worth every penny I paid for it. I guess I'm back to Live until I can scare up the money for Bitwig. Thanks for the help.

Cheerio!
Zerocrossing Media

rosesbyrosex
KVRist

62 posts since 15 Jul, 2017, from MEXICO

Postby rosesbyrosex; Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:39 pm Re: External instrument tracks?

With Vienna Ensemble Pro you can use VST as external services
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/vs ... semble-pro
AMD QUAD A12-9700P :phones: | 16GB DDR4 :roll: | WAVEFORM 8 :love: | ASIO4ALL :lol: | WIN10 x64 :D
chico.co.uk
KVRAF

1904 posts since 17 Jun, 2003

Postby chico.co.uk; Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:04 am Re: External instrument tracks?

zerocrossing wrote:
Peter Widdicombe wrote:You can actually have 2 inputs to a track, so record MIDI and audio together; but it might be more convenient to keep them as separate tracks. You can ignore the MIDI track unless possibly you want to correct and redo later. Or always play the Prophet via the MIDI track.

Wow. This makes Tracktion Waveform pretty much the most awkward and unusable DAW I've ever worked with, and I've been using DAWs since Opcode's Studio Vision Pro. It's worth every penny I paid for it. I guess I'm back to Live until I can scare up the money for Bitwig. Thanks for the help.

Cheerio!

Sigh. Why do you want to do all this on one track, what's the benefit?

You can more or less do what you're trying to do using Waveform's Insert plugin, that lets you use external hardware as a "plugin" on the track over on the right of the screen. You'll hear the module through Waveform that way. Put that on track one, and your midi input on track 1. Then on track two, make the input for that track "Audio Track: Track 1", and you can record the output from the module.

So yeah, you do need two tracks to do this, because of the left to right design. But on the plus side, you can record the midi and audio at the same time, on two separate tracks, if wanted.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"
Peter Widdicombe
KVRist

Postby Peter Widdicombe; Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:05 pm Re: External instrument tracks?

Yeah, technically you CAN put it all on one track; but agreed, it just makes life complicated. And tracks are free; and make it much more logical.

On the positive side, I didn't realize there WAS an insert plugin before :)

Moderator: Tracktion Mods

Return to Tracktion