Strymon Big Sky vs Software Reverbs

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, i have Erbe Verb, i am planning to return it for a Big Sky but in the same time i own
Phoenix, Nimbus, R2 and R4, Reverberate 2, Slate Reverb and many other reverbs such as Melda,
IK and others...how does Big Sky hold with these reverbs? Wil BS give me anything i do not have
in the Software now or better off just keep Erbe Verb and use Software? Anyways, my plan for
Big Sky is just to replace any of these reverbs in my DAW. It will my my go to Main Reverb even
for serious Mixing and Composition.

Thanks
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Well it has its own algorythms and its own character. Personally I didn't find it better than software, just different.

I find using HW effects for production ITB is.ore hazzle and don't add that much. Nevertheless I like having external effects for using with my synths without the computer.

Try also the Empress Reverb, the Eventide Space or maybe the H9 pedal.
dedication to flying

this may be obvious ... or not ... Big Sky is software.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

To put it more plainly, if you don’t like Erby, any other pedal will probably not float your boat. External DSP based reverbs all have a flavor and are more convenient. But, ITB reverbs sound just as good, if not better when you get to the CPU intensive ones and the convolution ones. So far DSP can’t touch a good spring reverb IMO. And, I’ve not heard a good Euro spring reverb. Which doesn’t mean they don’t exist. I just haven’t heard one yet. But, there are a plethora of boutique spring reverbs out there. But as long as you have a routing method, the ITB options are just as good as the pedal DSP options IMO

Disclosure: I have a BigSky and love it. But, I use 2c-B2 for almost every mixdown with synths and keys if I have the option.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Hearing the BigSky demo, the closest I can think of is Eventide Blackhole.

SJ_Digriz wrote:this may be obvious ... or not ... Big Sky is software.
But it's analog software FFS! :x

it's 96kHz, makes a big difference too. for delays and verbs

I don't have all those reverbs nor the Big Sky, but I still have a few reverbs and boxes. As already said, they are all different flavours. Nimbus is great.
Hardware boxes with a lot of knobs encourage tweaking them, also while playing, you can "perform" with the reverb, which is great, especially if you already work with some hardware instruments (you can do almost the same by mapping a plugin to a midi controller, but it's not as straightforward as using a dedicated box).

Anyway, once I'm itb, I find it difficult to go out and to use any outboard, it slows down the process. One thing is to mix with a lot of outboard, but breaking the itb philosophy (fast workflow, lot of choices, instant recall) for just for a device... mmm... it must be something really unique and worth the effort in my opinion.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

isn't the big sky technically, 'firmware'?

https://musicstorelive.com/strymon-bigs ... pedal.html

You might want to checkout the FAS-FX which imho is one of the best, especially for guitars.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Xiangqi wrote:isn't the big sky technically, 'firmware'?

https://musicstorelive.com/strymon-bigs ... pedal.html
Firmware is software. Software that is embedded in the hardware and is loaded automatically whenever the unit is switched on, can usually be updated to fix issues, provide additional features etc.

I haven’t heard a reverb plugin that matches the BigSky. I can’t imagine ever letting mine go. You can always your money back if you don’t dig it.

SJ_Digriz wrote:To put it more plainly, if you don’t like Erby, any other pedal will probably not float your boat. External DSP based reverbs all have a flavor and are more convenient. But, ITB reverbs sound just as good, if not better when you get to the CPU intensive ones and the convolution ones. So far DSP can’t touch a good spring reverb IMO. And, I’ve not heard a good Euro spring reverb. Which doesn’t mean they don’t exist. I just haven’t heard one yet. But, there are a plethora of boutique spring reverbs out there. But as long as you have a routing method, the ITB options are just as good as the pedal DSP options IMO

Disclosure: I have a BigSky and love it. But, I use 2c-B2 for almost every mixdown with synths and keys if I have the option.
Sort of off topic, but where should I look for a good spring reverb to be used in a mixer send?

And on topic, the key advantage of hw reverb pedals is the fact that you can use them without a computer.

Outside of the reverb in my DAW (Logic Pro), or built into my synths (ITB/OTB).. I hadn't much used an external reverb unit in years. Over the past couple of years though, I have been aquiring OTB synths, drum machines. So, I invested in a Strymon BigSky to run via an effects loop off my mixer. Now everything from my external synths, to my software synths, to vocals, and other devices (i.e. everything is game), can be routed through the Strymon. The difference in sound shaping is night and day. I can't rule out the fact that I didn't know what I was doing before picking up the BigSky, and creating an external send loop on my mixer... but it really is a huge difference.

I'm curious how it stacks up against specific software reverbs like Altiverb 7 and Valhalla.

I'm running a lot of outboard hardware and a big mix console, but am hardwiring my Aux sends rather than using a patch bay (for now). So I'd like to hardwire to units that are both incredible in their overall sound, and versatile (not a one trick pony).

I keep coming back to this unit as for hardware reverb it seems to fit the bill, possibly more so than old Lexicons or my TC M300 which is currently in that Aux role.

Would it?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”