donkeyt - the man - guitar pop rokk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's been a while, and having had a listen there doesn't seem to be a lot of pop music in these parts (with a few honourable exceptions) currently, so I thought I would up the quotient a bit, given I think I've finally finished twatting around with this (and have most probably got the mix back to where it was when I started - I was trying to make it heavier, but made it crapper).

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/donkeyt-the-man.mp3

A semi angry song about alienation by a middle-aged man in a well paid secure job. No irony then..

Features some crap solo widdling - give a man a new guitar..

I remember this one. Vox sound good now, everything is highly intelligible. Love the ending.

So that's what happened to Dave Matthews

j/k
DT still got it.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Didn't ask for it (see link). Shame on me.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=496019

I smell a conspiracy. Help me,Alex Jones

elassi wrote:Didn't ask for it (see link). Shame on me.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=496019
:o :hihi:
melomood wrote:I smell a conspiracy. Help me,Alex Jones
He was good in Blur. Cheese won't save you now though

nice work donks, is that the variax? or did you grab one of those cheap gibsons?

vurt wrote:nice work donks, is that the variax? or did you grab one of those cheap gibsons?
It's all sorts of gubbins; some programmed stuff (Orange Tree Samples Rick 12, NI strummed acoustic, AAS strum2), some that I played using the variax in normal magnetic pickups mode (bastard battery ran out again as I recall :hihi: ) and the widdling is the variax in the 12 string electric setting (with some sinthesiser or other as well for crude doubling at the end where I converted the solo to midi in teh frootyloops).

Wow. That's quite a journey from your old work. That's excellent.

Very nice work. It's a great arrangement and composition. Sounds well mixed too, translates from decent head phones to laptop speakers really well.
The song kinda reminds me of Bruce Springsteen or John Mellencamp. It's got that arena rock vibe. Ends kinda abruptly. :hihi:

Thanks for sharing.

HanafiH wrote:Wow. That's quite a journey from your old work. That's excellent.
Cheers. Gave up for 7 years then started again with a load of new (better) stuff so had to learn everything again..still doing the mumbling miserable crap as well, but also some more chirpy fast stuff it seems.
justin3am wrote: The song kinda reminds me of Bruce Springsteen or John Mellencamp. It's got that arena rock vibe. Ends kinda abruptly. :hihi:
Now you've said that I can sort of hear it too. :o I did think it sounded quite American rock in bits - I wanted to do something with one of those 3 chord riffs a la Boston etc. :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote: Cheers. Gave up for 7 years then started again
Ah. Then I wasn't missing too much in my absence. Looking forward to more

donkey tugger wrote: Cheers. Gave up for 7 years then started again with a load of new (better) stuff so had to learn everything again..still doing the mumbling miserable crap as well, but also some more chirpy fast stuff it seems.
Oh, get back to that shed and be miserable in it. These are wonderful days for musicians. It's like all the promise of the early years has suddenly gelled into really exciting equipment that you can actually make work. I never gave up working but I gave up trying to push my tracks. Now I've retired I can spend my days playing endlessly in muso with a DAW time.

I'm still an arsehole. I just sort of ran out of shite. :wink:

HanafiH wrote:
donkey tugger wrote: Cheers. Gave up for 7 years then started again with a load of new (better) stuff so had to learn everything again..still doing the mumbling miserable crap as well, but also some more chirpy fast stuff it seems.
Oh, get back to that shed and be miserable in it. These are wonderful days for musicians. It's like all the promise of the early years has suddenly gelled into really exciting equipment that you can actually make work. I never gave up working but I gave up trying to push my tracks. Now I've retired I can spend my days playing endlessly in muso with a DAW time.

I'm still an arsehole. I just sort of ran out of shite. :wink:
:hihi:

I do agree though (the bit about the equipment - still haven't got a shed sadly). I was (and still am) gobsmacked with the level of realism and control modern sample libraries have compared to the bits of coal and rubber bands (ok, Sampletank 2) I had before. These kids have had it easy (grumble, cheetah sx16, grumble, midi sample dump, sysex grumble, grumble) so it's only right us old gits get in on the, err, action.

Enjoy the noodling!

The song is short and sweet. The vox sound very good.

The structure is a bit of a headscratcher. It sounds like there should be a chorus but wasn't sure if I could identify it. :)

I think you may have gone slightly overboard layering so many sounds. Some clarity is lost in all that density.

Good job. :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”