Desire - An 80s song attempt

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Happy Sunday, Everyone!

"Desire" is my attempt at yet another 80s themed song. Do give it a check, when you can and as always need your valuable support! :)

https://soundcloud.com/baalisoda/desire

Cheers! :tu:
Last edited by baalisoda on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I like it OK and it's got a nice 80s vibe but needs more to keep it interesting throughout.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:I like it OK and it's got a nice 80s vibe but needs more to keep it interesting throughout.
Thanks for giving it a listen and your valuable feedback, sir :)

very simple and basic 80s tune, i like the smooth mix. perhaps a slightly faster tempo would help
move it along? enjoyed :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:very simple and basic 80s tune, i like the smooth mix. perhaps a slightly faster tempo would help
move it along? enjoyed :tu:
Thank you so much for such kind words, sir. Really appreciate your feedback! :tu:

layzer wrote:Perhaps a slightly faster tempo would help
Yes it seems a bit plodding. Given the drums and the synth sounds, this sounds reminiscent of something like Blue Monday, i.e. early 80s synthpop. Maybe check that out and get a feel for the rough tempo. The 80s synthpop things were relatively upbeat tempo-wise. Blue Monday might be a little bit fast for this, but that's the rough ballpark I'd expect.

If you want a more downtempo vibe, then I'd look more to something like later DM for inspiration. Then the sound needs to be a little bit darker IMO.

I guess my overall feeling is that you have a clash of vibes between the sound choices and the tempo. The arrangement itself seems pretty good. If you can reconcile that disconnect, I think it will sound more cohesive.

sjm wrote:
layzer wrote:Perhaps a slightly faster tempo would help
Yes it seems a bit plodding. Given the drums and the synth sounds, this sounds reminiscent of something like Blue Monday, i.e. early 80s synthpop. Maybe check that out and get a feel for the rough tempo. The 80s synthpop things were relatively upbeat tempo-wise. Blue Monday might be a little bit fast for this, but that's the rough ballpark I'd expect.

If you want a more downtempo vibe, then I'd look more to something like later DM for inspiration. Then the sound needs to be a little bit darker IMO.

I guess my overall feeling is that you have a clash of vibes between the sound choices and the tempo. The arrangement itself seems pretty good. If you can reconcile that disconnect, I think it will sound more cohesive.
That's a fantastic explanation with quite a few details that I am very least aware of.

Thanks for taking your time to listen my track and provide such wonderful feedback, sir. :tu:

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote:I actually think the tempo is fine, the melody that comes in 0:52 suits the tempo just fine. I just think it just needs some off-beat notes/percussion to keep it driving along and make it feel less ploddy.
Thanks for giving it a listen and providing your valuable feedback, sir :tu:

Have redid the mixing and mastering on the track (especially for the overpowering drums part and overall volume leveling, have also sped up the tempo by 5 beats from its original 100 BPM). Newer version of the track is in the OP.

Do have a listen when you can, friends! :tu:

I prefer the new tempo. The intro still sounds just a little slow, though not plodding. Once everything gets going, it sounds about right now. I do think you could still up the tempo a little if you wanted to, but that's your call. Vortifex is probably right that tempo feels better the further you get further into the song. That might mean you want to do something to spice up the intro a little.

To me, it's screaming out for some vocals to tie everything together now. Musically it's "nice" rather than exhilarating which generally makes for a good backdrop for vocals. Not sure what your final goal for the track is, and whether vocals figure in your plans at all. You've got some nice little background melodic elements. The slow, higher synth line starting around 0:50 is probably the closest you have to a hook, and it I think it would work really nicely together with vocals.

If vocals aren't an option, I do think you need something to spice things up a little. I think that's the one thing that has been consistent in the feedback: it's nice, but where's the secret sauce?

sjm wrote:I prefer the new tempo. The intro still sounds just a little slow, though not plodding. Once everything gets going, it sounds about right now. I do think you could still up the tempo a little if you wanted to, but that's your call. Vortifex is probably right that tempo feels better the further you get further into the song. That might mean you want to do something to spice up the intro a little.

To me, it's screaming out for some vocals to tie everything together now. Musically it's "nice" rather than exhilarating which generally makes for a good backdrop for vocals. Not sure what your final goal for the track is, and whether vocals figure in your plans at all. You've got some nice little background melodic elements. The slow, higher synth line starting around 0:50 is probably the closest you have to a hook, and it I think it would work really nicely together with vocals.

If vocals aren't an option, I do think you need something to spice things up a little. I think that's the one thing that has been consistent in the feedback: it's nice, but where's the secret sauce?
Thanks once again for such detailed and informational feedback. At this point in time, have not thought of having vocals as such but will sure rethink about this :tu:

I like it, but I think it could use a bit of vocals, even if it was a vocoder doing its thang.

It sounds good. I think it could use more dynamics here and there, however that would be accomplished, to give it more momentum and energy. Sometimes it dosen’t take much.

I wonder what those dancers look like now. Probably like me. :hihi:

RandolphCarter wrote:I like it, but I think it could use a bit of vocals, even if it was a vocoder doing its thang.
Thanks for listening, sir. Good point about vocoder, i should think something on that lines :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”