A modern song that sounds like the 80s

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/romboh/no-ashtra ... wn/s-yEtJF

Looking for any kind of feedback, thanks.

The wave effect (due to compression?) is way too strong in my view. It doesn't sound like 80's music to me, much too modern.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The wave effect (due to compression?) is way too strong in my view. It doesn't sound like 80's music to me, much too modern.
Maybe I should have written "an 80s song that sounds like modern". What do you mean by "wave effect"?

Well, the volume seems to go up and down with the rhythm, which is common in EDM I think, but not with 80's music.

romboh wrote:What do you mean by "wave effect"?
The ducking effect from the sidechain compression. ;) And I agree. The ducking is a bit to strong for an 80s song. In an 80s song, it shouldn't even be there in the first place. But, if it was not your goal, why not?

The song itself somehow reminds me to my childhood playing video games on Amiga or to 80s movies. For that purpose you've done a good job, but for a song on its own I miss a little variation.

vegaron wrote:
romboh wrote:What do you mean by "wave effect"?
The ducking effect from the sidechain compression. ;) And I agree. The ducking is a bit to strong for an 80s song. In an 80s song, it shouldn't even be there in the first place. But, if it was not your goal, why not?

The song itself somehow reminds me to my childhood playing video games on Amiga or to 80s movies. For that purpose you've done a good job, but for a song on its own I miss a little variation.
You described the goal of the song better than myself.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, the volume seems to go up and down with the rhythm, which is common in EDM I think, but not with 80's music.
its called side chain compression and is just about the most annoying
thing you can do to music. like having some asshole screwing with the volume control
on your stereo while you're trying to listen to your favorite song :x
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Side chain compression on this is way too much ... doesn't sound remotely "80s".

Thanks everyone, guess I'm going to tone the sidechain down a bit then.

A bit of pump is not so unusual for this kind of thing; this wouldn't sound out place mixed up with tracks by Dan Terminus or Lazerhawk. Lots of French House influence in the retrowave scene...

I liked it, i suppose you would call this synthwave music?

The side-chain pump is a bit too much which others have also mentioned. However there are other artists who have a lot of pump in their music such as this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAjCJWNbDBA
:borg:

In terms of style/structure feedback, this is a solid base of retrowave/synthwave :) . For a soundtrack or interlude I wouldn't do much more with it. There are quite a few artists out there doing similar things; your style here is a bit less distorted than many, which is nice. As a standalone piece it could use some more memorable feature; a vocal part, a lead hook, a tricksy gimmick, a more strongly contrasting section. It depends how you want people to enjoy it really!

Return to “Music Cafe”