Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
justin3am
KVRAF

10312 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 pm 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

I'm not sure I'm done with this one. I had some other ideas but I though this jam came out pretty well, on it's own. Luckily I was recording!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgLCxQETsMM

And a soundcloud link as well.
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/steep

Playing a snare drum with a speaker, by feeding signal back from two contact mics attached to the drum, via a Koma Field Kit. Different tensions around the rim and dampening drum heads with my hands results in tonal changes depending on where I put the speaker. I gave up on trying to play it in tune. :lol:
vurt
addled muppet weed

35291 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:13 am Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

nice!
who knew you could get all that musicy goodness out of just one snare drum :o

:hihi:
experimental.crow
KVRAF

5259 posts since 9 Mar, 2003, from The Druid Hills

Postby experimental.crow; Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:47 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

it's poppins * !!!
i believe you have invented the waterless waterphone ...

*practically perfect in every way ...
Frantz
KVRAF

4655 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:52 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

justin3am wrote:Playing a snare drum with a speaker, by feeding signal back from two contact mics attached to the drum, via a Koma Field Kit.

Snare drum feedback? What is this sorcery? :eek:

Very cool sounds. You held my attention for 5 minutes without any chord changes or traditional melodies. Nice job!
justin3am
KVRAF

Postby justin3am; Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

Thanks for listening!
It was a fun experiment and turned out good results without too much tweaking. I was inspired by the discussion in this thread: Sound Design via Feedback Loops: What's your technique?.

The vibrations from scraping the speaker on the drum head are picked up by the contact mics, which are fed back to the speaker, the vibration from the speaker on the drum head, gets the feedback loop oscillating. A number of factors determine the pitch of the oscillation (distance from the two contact mics, tension of the drum head, damping from my fingers on the drum head) and the vibrations of the snare springs cause chaotic interactions. Because there are two contact mics, sometimes I can get two over lapping tones or modulating tones, depending on the position of the speaker. I can also get some vibrato effects by moving shaking the speaker a bit, moving it further and closer to the drum head.

I don't think it's an instrument I'll ever master... :hihi: but I I was able to get a surprising range of sounds from it. And anything sounds good through a bunch of delay and reverb. :D
ma1225
KVRer

7 posts since 5 Feb, 2018

Postby ma1225; Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:11 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

That so crazy..how did you manage handle it all together?
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22188 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

That's a great sounding track ... love it. Thanks for the download :ud:
Hink
Rad Grandad

26846 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from Downeast Maine

Postby Hink; Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:33 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

like I said elsewhere...awesome dude :tu:
got any good fish stories? Let minnow
justin3am
KVRAF

Postby justin3am; Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:14 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

Thanks friends!

ma1225 wrote:That so crazy..how did you manage handle it all together?

:oops: Practice? I work with this stuff most of the day, almost everyday. I didn't always make music this way, but it's getting more difficult to remember the techniques I used before. It just becomes like second nature when you are doing it, and it doesn't seem that complex. It's just a bunch of simple things, interacting.

I know that doesn't really answer the question. :ud:
justin3am
KVRAF

Postby justin3am; Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 am Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

I'll give this one more bump.
layzer
KVRAF

5250 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:15 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

very different tastes indeed, but theres some genius in some of that
random noise you make that can spark some ideas in my own
stuff, ironically :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
htcnext2
KVRist

218 posts since 3 Jul, 2017, from Austria

Postby htcnext2; Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:01 am Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

Stunning soundscapes you create here. Btw which bank did you rob in order to buy your equipment?
I am a big fan of modular synthesis, unfortunately I don't own such a thing. I am working digital, which is a different approach.

All in all much too short. Thumbs...
Greetings
HM
justin3am
KVRAF

Postby justin3am; Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

layzer wrote:very different tastes indeed, but theres some genius in some of that
random noise you make that can spark some ideas in my own
stuff, ironically :idea:

Thanks for listening! I know exactly what you mean. It's valuable to listen to a wide variety of styles and be open to different ideas. It's a great way to keep our own music fresh and interesting. :tu:
sjm
KVRian

1450 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:10 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

Bleepbloop?
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)
justin3am
KVRAF

Postby justin3am; Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:43 pm Re: 3am - Steep (modular rhythms and screeches)

lol. I change the scrolling message on my KP3 every so often. In the past it has said "tacos rule", "synthnerd" or just "3am".
Last edited by justin3am on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe