Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
fastlanephil
KVRist

478 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:56 pm Bolero

This one's sort of a Bolero except it's in 4/4 and a traditional Bolero is in 3/4(think Ravel). I'm using pretty much a 50/50 mix of orchestral and synthetic instruments.

https://soundcloud.com/fastlanephil/bolero
Allomerus
KVRAF

1887 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:10 pm Re: Bolero

There is something about Bolero that keeps me coming back to it. I did a version with Volcas. :)

This is a nicely done bolero with a happy vibe rather than dramatic. Great to chill out to on a Sunday Afternoon in the shade... Aaah! Now I just need a beer.

Well done!
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
seismic1
KVRAF

8833 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm Re: Bolero

This one got me thinking about the various forms of Bolero (as recounted by Wikipedia). I checked out some Vietnamese examples that I was able to find on the internet, and realised that a lot of Thai popular music from 30-40 years ago is very similar in style to this (not really surprising, given their geographical proximity), although not referred to as "Bolero".

This is a pleasant, and generally uplifting piece of music. I just wish I could share Allomerus' current meteorological circumstances to experience it. It's currently -1 outside.

Good work :)
JKillz
KVRist

185 posts since 29 Dec, 2017, from USA

Postby JKillz; Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:36 pm Re: Bolero

This was really nice, I enjoyed the mix of the modern with the classical. Always refreshing to hear the two mixed together as well as this :)
Allomerus
KVRAF

1887 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 pm Re: Bolero

seismic1 wrote:This one got me thinking about the various forms of Bolero (as recounted by Wikipedia). I checked out some Vietnamese examples that I was able to find on the internet, and realised that a lot of Thai popular music from 30-40 years ago is very similar in style to this (not really surprising, given their geographical proximity), although not referred to as "Bolero".

This is a pleasant, and generally uplifting piece of music. I just wish I could share Allomerus' current meteorological circumstances to experience it. It's currently -1 outside.

You can have the 36C we have today if you want! ;)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
Frantz
KVRAF

4655 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 pm Re: Bolero

The piece has a melodic, quaint charm. Other than Ravel, I know nothing about Boleros so I can't say much about that aspect.

The drums seem like white noise rather than a proper kit. There are some timing fluctuations in the drums once again.

(It is currently -1 C / 31 F where I am at. :( )
sjm
KVRian

1450 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:02 pm Re: Bolero

I enjoyed it despite the snow. Made me think of the background music for some cutesy 2D non-violent casual game. Extremely inoffensive (which was my overall feeling) is really well suited for that kind of thing.

Don't otherwise feel qualified to comment.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)
experimental.crow
KVRAF

5259 posts since 9 Mar, 2003, from The Druid Hills

Postby experimental.crow; Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:01 pm Re: Bolero

in your lead-in post , you allude to Ravel ...

Ravels' Bolero is particularly distinguished by a soft , slow build up
w/ gradual introduction of elements as the theme is repeated , and the volume and
intensity builds to its majestic conclusion .

Your offering seems to bypass that approach , and jumps into the pool
waist deep ... that approach loses me , as i came away w/ the impression
that i had heard everything on offer after the first pass ...
that , and the 4/4 left me unenthused ...

that being said , you certainly have the motifs required to revise the piece
and offer a differing structure for our regard ...
layzer
KVRAF

5250 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:03 am Re: Bolero

it was a refreshing change of the cafe usual. a pleasant listen.
sometimes jagged in the melody/perc sync, but just slightly.
enjoyed :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
fastlanephil
KVRist

Postby fastlanephil; Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 pm Re: Bolero

Allomerus wrote:There is something about Bolero that keeps me coming back to it. I did a version with Volcas. :)

This is a nicely done bolero with a happy vibe rather than dramatic. Great to chill out to on a Sunday Afternoon in the shade... Aaah! Now I just need a beer.

Well done!

Thanks Allomerus!

I’m late responding as I’ve been sick off and on with that stinking flu for almost two weeks.

Glad you enjoyed it.
fastlanephil
KVRist

Postby fastlanephil; Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:03 pm Re: Bolero

seismic1 wrote:This one got me thinking about the various forms of Bolero (as recounted by Wikipedia). I checked out some Vietnamese examples that I was able to find on the internet, and realised that a lot of Thai popular music from 30-40 years ago is very similar in style to this (not really surprising, given their geographical proximity), although not referred to as "Bolero".

I believe the Bolero was originally a slow Spanish dance using guitar. Someone from the Netherlands said he danced to 4/4 Boleros in the social halls as a young man many years ago. Probably using the accordion.

Thanks for the good words siesmic1.
fastlanephil
KVRist

Postby fastlanephil; Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 pm Re: Bolero

JKillz wrote:This was really nice, I enjoyed the mix of the modern with the classical. Always refreshing to hear the two mixed together as well as this :)

I’m glad you enjoyed it JKillz!
fastlanephil
KVRist

Postby fastlanephil; Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:17 pm Re: Bolero

Frantz wrote:The piece has a melodic, quaint charm. Other than Ravel, I know nothing about Boleros so I can't say much about that aspect.

The drums seem like white noise rather than a proper kit. There are some timing fluctuations in the drums once again.

(It is currently -1 C / 31 F where I am at. :( )

Hi Frantz.

Well the drums are probably a bit much as they are from Soundiron but my other snares were not full enough. I worked on tightening up the rhythm but I left some loseness. This one is more a demo for an envisioned live performance than a finished song.
fastlanephil
KVRist

Postby fastlanephil; Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 pm Re: Bolero

sjm wrote:I enjoyed it despite the snow. Made me think of the background music for some cutesy 2D non-violent casual game. Extremely inoffensive (which was my overall feeling) is really well suited for that kind of thing.

Don't otherwise feel qualified to comment.

That’s a different take sjm.
fastlanephil
KVRist

Postby fastlanephil; Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:29 pm Re: Bolero

experimental.crow wrote:in your lead-in post , you allude to Ravel ...

Ravels' Bolero is particularly distinguished by a soft , slow build up
w/ gradual introduction of elements as the theme is repeated , and hthe volume and
intensity builds to its majestic conclusion .

Your offering seems to bypass that approach , and jumps into the pool
waist deep ... that approach loses me , as i came away w/ the impression
that i had heard everything on offer after the first pass ...
that , and the 4/4 left me unenthused ...

that being said , you certainly have the motifs required to revise the piece
and offer a differing structure for our regard ...

I just mentioned Ravel’s Bolero as a rough reference. Revel’s Bolero was probably a little monotonous structurly. His self imposed challenge was to provide interest for as long as possible using the instruments of the orchestra to provide the changes needed to maintain that interest. His experiment was a success. It’s not something one is encouraged to emulate in the schools or so I’ve heard.

I’ve already run this by some neo classical and soundtrack composers on another forum and I think it is basically done except for some slight modifications.

There is also Beck’s Bolero from Jeff Beck’s 1968 Truth album which was written by his friend Jimmy Page. There is a lot of tension release in the middle of this Bolero with a rock out 4/4 and then the energy is upped for a short repeat of the first part and then a finale of sorts.
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe