Tropical House needs feedback!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, This is my new track, its only the first half of it though. Id like to know what I could improve on it!
Let me know what you like and what works, also what you don't like.

It may be the mastering or just that some sounds don't fit together that well.
I think the drop came together pretty well.

https://soundcloud.com/rasalp/tropical

Thank you
Rasalp

Hey there, digging the track, has a lot of potential so far. The percussion seemed a bit distant and not on par with the synth layers, not sure if you intended it that way, but I would think you want them brought to the front a bit more.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing the final version.

Its nice.
@ 0:56, I'm not sure that synth sound you introduce works.
For me, its a bit airy and soft. You might try experimenting with a different sound.
I like the rest.

JKillz wrote:Hey there, digging the track, has a lot of potential so far. The percussion seemed a bit distant and not on par with the synth layers, not sure if you intended it that way, but I would think you want them brought to the front a bit more.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing the final version.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I appreciate it very much.
It was not intended for the percussion to get stuck in the background. Any ideas on how I should bring them upfront? The snap for example has alot of reverb. Do I remove it to bring it closer? How do I do with the rest of the drums?

Once again, Thank you
Rasalp

Bansaw wrote:Its nice.
@ 0:56, I'm not sure that synth sound you introduce works.
For me, its a bit airy and soft. You might try experimenting with a different sound.
I like the rest.
Thank you for your feedback!
As they guy posting over you said, I tend to make accidently put things further away than I intend to.
I totally agree with that the synth is very airy and distant. How do I make it more hard hitting and closer in the room?

One idea is to make sure the lower frequency is present, kick is around 100hz, snare around 200hz, varies on the samples. Also, I tend to keep the kick dead center, so no widening effects like chorus (very little reverb). The snare has more flexibility. Also, you want to carve out space for these elements, so remove any low end on synths/instruments that are not supposed to go into the 200hz & under range. Also, very important to not neglect the higher frequencies of the kick. This makes it stand out when playing on speakers that have little or no bass, thus sounding decent on any system. A trick is to add a click on the top or boost those frequencies in the EQ.

Keep in mind, all this is subjective, but they are general guidelines I tend to keep in mind. Sidechaining is another concept you can check out.

Hope it helps.

JKillz wrote:One idea is to make sure the lower frequency is present, kick is around 100hz, snare around 200hz, varies on the samples. Also, I tend to keep the kick dead center, so no widening effects like chorus (very little reverb). The snare has more flexibility. Also, you want to carve out space for these elements, so remove any low end on synths/instruments that are not supposed to go into the 200hz & under range. Also, very important to not neglect the higher frequencies of the kick. This makes it stand out when playing on speakers that have little or no bass, thus sounding decent on any system. A trick is to add a click on the top or boost those frequencies in the EQ.

Keep in mind, all this is subjective, but they are general guidelines I tend to keep in mind. Sidechaining is another concept you can check out.

Hope it helps.
Thank you!

Starts nicely.

However, kick clearly doesn't cut through the bass and lacks click. Too many conflicts in low end.

I agree that the synth is way off, possibly bad EQ.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I'd echo what's being said about the kick. A bit more click to bring it out. At the moment, there's a lot of oomph. That works better on a PA, but I don't think this is DJ music.

I'd like the piano to change a bit when the beat first comes in, with a couple of flourishes or grace notes. Something to add a little bit more groove. Just talking the odd note here or there so it doesn't always sound the same.

The general vibe is nice. Could maybe still do with something "exciting" to serve as the hook. There's a lot of simple harmonies going on there that sound good together. What I'm missing is that unifying element on the top that ties everything together. The bit I would be expected to hum.

The synth at 0:55 sounds like it's supposed to take on this role, but the melody is just a little bit bland. It's more of a counter-melody or accompaniment than the actual hook itself.

Not much point worrying about mastering when the track isn't finished.

DJ Warmonger wrote:Starts nicely.

However, kick clearly doesn't cut through the bass and lacks click. Too many conflicts in low end.

I agree that the synth is way off, possibly bad EQ.
Thank you for the feedback.
I don't understand how the track can be muddy, I sidechained the kick and the sub, I kept the bass around the low-mids and i high-passed everything else (kinda)
How do I make the low end clear?

I tottaly agree that the lead in the drop sounds very airy, I'll fix that.

sjm wrote:I'd echo what's being said about the kick. A bit more click to bring it out. At the moment, there's a lot of oomph. That works better on a PA, but I don't think this is DJ music.

I'd like the piano to change a bit when the beat first comes in, with a couple of flourishes or grace notes. Something to add a little bit more groove. Just talking the odd note here or there so it doesn't always sound the same.

The general vibe is nice. Could maybe still do with something "exciting" to serve as the hook. There's a lot of simple harmonies going on there that sound good together. What I'm missing is that unifying element on the top that ties everything together. The bit I would be expected to hum.

The synth at 0:55 sounds like it's supposed to take on this role, but the melody is just a little bit bland. It's more of a counter-melody or accompaniment than the actual hook itself.

Not much point worrying about mastering when the track isn't finished.
Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it alot.
I'll absolutly add some variation to the piano, and the synth in the drop is very bad EQ-ed and also very airy, I'll fix that.
However I don't exactly see what you're missing in the hook that would as an element that ties it together. Do you mean a second melody, some variations in the drums, or another layer in the synths? I think the track is pretty hum-able. Please explain what you're missing!

Shame youve decided on the the most overused chord progression evvvva

and not enough pineapple
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Kick sounds very boomy on big speakers. its over bassy so swamps the track, making it seem muddy. Tune is ok but pretty generic chord structure.

Needs more coconuts ;)

Return to “Music Cafe”