Oldest plugins you still actually use

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are the oldest plugins you still use? This goes for software effects or synths. I was wondering about this as I loaded up a couple of the old Sonitus effects in Sonar. Besides effects, I also use Minimonsta and impOSCar, though I now use impOSCar 2 much more. Over the past 2 years I bought Wavestation and M1, and I like them both (still wishing for better displays though). I didn't really use Massive until recently, but that's another one I've been checking out.

Interesting question.

I did the old move to 64 bit a couple of years back so there's only a few old ones I still use bridged;

Sampletank 2 - the patches still work much better than in 3, and there's a few I still like in there.
Akai Deccabuddy - still love it for vocal harmonies sometimes over MUnison, and the unison effect is great.
Spitfish - even though I've got Toneboosters 'Sibilance', this more often than not does the job with a minimum of arseing around.

Everything else is relatively recent I think.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Korg Legacy & Ohmforce stuff ... some Audio Damage too.

ConcreteFX
iZotope Spectron
Vaz
Surge
Spin Audio
Elemental Audio
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Love this thread. Since I moved to all 64, I think the oldest plugs I still use regularly are bidule and blue cat.

I don't think the question actually applies to me. While I have a lot of "old" plugins, as far as release date goes, I've only been doing ITB recording since 2013. In fact, I'd say that most of the stuff I own is at least that old since I went on a spending spree right from the start.

Now all the old 32 bit stuff, I don't have because I started off with a 64 bit machine. So all of that can be automatically crossed off the list. But I have the Korg Legacy Collection (I know that's pretty old) and I think all these are pretty old too but I really don't know as I wasn't around when they were released.

A.N.A. 1
ABSynth 5
ACE
CRX 4
FM8
ImpOSCar 2
KarmaFX Modular
Massive
MorphoX
Mr Alias Pro
Sonigen Modular
Spectral
Synth1
TAL Bassline
TAL Elek7ro II
TAL Noisemaker
TAL U No 62
TCM II
TDM 3
Z3ta+2
Zebra 2

All I know is that all the above was around 5 years ago. Beyond that, no clue. And yes, I use all of that when called for.

I still use this guy very frequently. It's about 25 years old or so?
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Probably the venerable AO Parametric EQ - it still sounds great to me.
This was one of the first VSTs I remember using in Wavelab that wasn't "generic-Steinberg-GUI" (Green text, etc.)
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Largo
dedication to flying

Good call on morphox wags. Amazing classic that gets over looked.

Dasheesh wrote:Good call on morphox wags. Amazing classic that gets over looked.
Yeah. A shame about Linplug.

PSP Vintage Warmer.
Still using!

An old plugin I would STILL like to use is RGC Audio's Z3ta+. I would like to use but don't, since I originally bought the windows version, and now I'm on Mac and have no access to it. I've never upgraded to the Cakewalk version either.
I do miss this synth and it would be my old plugin which 'I still use it', if I could.

Otherwise, it must be Alchemy v1 and Tassman.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:An old plugin I would STILL like to use is RGC Audio's Z3ta+. I would like to use but don't, since I originally bought the windows version, and now I'm on Mac and have no access to it. I've never upgraded to the Cakewalk version either.
I do miss this synth and it would be my old plugin which 'I still use it', if I could.

Otherwise, it must be Alchemy v1 and Tassman.
Good one! I forgot about Z3ta+. It was one of the first really great plugins...(for me anyway).
Also, Alchemy is of course still great if you were lucky enough to have bought it before they went to Apple. :wink:

Return to “Instruments”