Which Mac?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone.
This post is a bit OT, i hope not too much. In case delete it :)

After my problems with windows (some days ago i had another annoying one: out of the blue windows reinstalled the linnstrument drivers and it failed (!) (the linnstrument changed its name into "linnstrument serial" and after into "linnstrument com port") and it was not working even after uninstalling the drivers, it was visible in some DAWs but not sending any midi signal. So i played for a bit connected to the ipad and when i went back to windows it was working again...) i was thinking, as suggested by many, to buy a mac. maybe not now, but in some months...

As i am a graphic "designer" i would use it to work on adobe suite so i wasn't sure between imac (desktop but cheaper, powerful, more connection (!) and bigger screen) or macbook (portable, in that case i would sell my laptop, for maybe 100-200$).
Otherwise a second option would be to buy a secondhand imac to use only or mainly for music and keep my laptop for all the rest (graphic stuff, photos, etc), In case the imac would be not powerful enough. At the moment, having problems with bitwig 8-tracks and not really prone to spend money on windows softwares, i am always recording using ipad and its cubasis app, but it's kinda limiting sometimes.

What's your suggestions? iMac or Macbook (i think i cannot afford the pro for now)? And, more important, if i take an used iMac, which version should i not go below (i mean for example "nothing older than 2015")?

Thank you very much and sorry, i am really not a mac guy so i have no idea ;)
p

Save your money and try a Big Mac, but not a used one.

I bought a 12-core Mac pro (2013) which has been doing what I need it to do for movie editing. It has Dual D700 AMD workstation graphics cards which seem to handle my 4K video editing really well.

The cheaper 6-core would probably
More than hande your graphics editing stuff with ease.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... puter.html
:borg:

I would advice against getting a MacPro at the moment, the new models should be along pretty soon now and the 2013 one is getting a little long in the tooth. Not that there are not good machines, I have a 12 core one as well but newer things are on the horizon...
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Thank you everyone, but the macpro is not really an option at the moment. Maybe when the new version will come out i will have the money, but reading the blogs it seems end 2018 if not 2019... but in the meanwhile i don't know if i wanna stay one year on windows. :D
i mean, if you tell me that an imac will not be enough anyway i will just buy nothing. :)

I've never had any problems with my 2-year-old MacBook Pro. A lot of people make their music on a MacBook Pro, though some may have problems with large projects containing many tracks and plug-ins, I don't know. A search for "is MacBook pro fast enough for large Logic Pro (or your DAW of choice) projects" should turn up some useful information.
If you need more power for large projects, I can't imagine you having any problems with an iMac Pro. I suspect the standard iMac will be a tad slower than even a MacBook Pro because it uses hard disks instead of flash, though maybe the fusion drives (hard disk + large cache memory) are good enough.

Honestly I'd save my money and get the new Mac Pro if you want a good future proof setup if you know you'll have the money. I have a feeling that the new Mac pro will be more expensive than the iMac Pro.

If you do Graphics design, it might be worth looking into the iMac pro.
:borg:

I guess i will start to collect money and in the meanwhile i will think about what i really need. Either a big monster or a small one :D
thank you everyone :)

I'm currently traveling for an extended time, so have a 15" Macbook Pro... but I have used the 27" iMac a lot when home based.

For work I do photography and graphics work and some video production too. If you don't really need the portability, then the iMac is better. The big screen is really nice for doing layout, photo editing, audio etc. Plus you can get faster CPU and more RAM for the similar price.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”