New to Tracktion

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey peeps.

Been producing music for a couple decades now and ATM I'm flirting with Tracktion.
I find that the workflow and GUI makes me do stuff I wouldn't necessarily do with Cubase or the such. I'm really enjoying the visual feedback and the powerful sound sculpting facilities.

Anyway.

Been messing about and I have two questions for you guys if you'd be happy to indulge.

1) Is there a way to assign a note to a different MIDI channel on the piano roll?
That would be super helpful to do string articulations, for example. You assign long notes to channel 1 and pizz to channel 2 then just select the notes on the piano roll and decide which ones are going to output on channel 2.
I haven't looked into racks yet, but it would be interesting to have different instruments on a single rack assigned to different channels and just decide via the piano roll which notes of a phrase trigger which synth

2) Is there a simple way to audio quantise a guitar part for example? I have learned to generate beatpoints but can't find a "Quantize" button

Tracktion' s interface is quite different to the traditional DAW paradigm and I find that sometimes buttons and options are not where I'd look for them. Not complaining tho. I think that's part of what I'm liking about T9

Cheers!
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Hi, I don't think theres a function to assign individual notes to a midi channel in Waveform itself , but I think you can use the free plugin NoteMapper from CodeFN42 to do what you want. You can of course send midi clips to any midi channel. You can put different instruments in a rack and assign them to different midi channels either in the instruments themselves or by adding Waveforms midi patchbay plugin before the instruments and blocking all channels you don't want them to receive. This allows you to feed a single rack from multiple tracks.

You can quantise audio in two ways in Waveform. You can use the included Melodyne Essentials which has a quantising function or you can use the new multisampler. To use Melodyne, select the clip and select the Melodyne option from the Time stretch menu in the control panel. To use the multisampler, select the clip and then click the Multisampler button in the control panel. It will load the clip and create slices on the transients. The sensitivity of the transient detection can be adjusted and the slice lengths can edited and slices deleted. Then convert the slices to midi and quantise the midi notes. This obviously works best with drums rather than continuous audio. Once done you can render it to audio if you want. You can also manually correct timing mistakes by adding stretch markers and dragging them.

*redacted :lol:

In addition to Melodyne there is the Warp Time feature allows time stretching using Elastique. This video is from T6 but it still works the same way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bo5IdivSZ8

https://youtu.be/6bo5IdivSZ8

I love the workflow, to me it fits better than many other DAWs.
I can keep things simple if I want, or I can do very complex stuff quite easily.

I did not work with <warp time> so far.
But my first idea is, that it should be quite easy for the developers to add a button that does
[process additional tracks with this warping data] > [select track multi] > ok | oops there is warp data in that track already - a) replace b) layer it c) cancel.
So after I did correct the snare top, I re-use that for the snare bottom.
For the phasing, the point is, analysis *) has to happen only once. When we do the multitrack warp, the analysis must do a global check for all tracks that are warped the same way, and then must find a treatment that will create the least error in sum of all (same-way-) processed tracks.

But there is another idea: What if we can apply the warping on the drum bus? Warp points will have to be applied on the fly during rendering.
(hard way: Rendering the drum stem and then warp that would at least require the warping points to be preserved after any routing changes and re-renders.)

*) analysis - I assume the warp algorithm has to analyze the audio waveform before processing, to find out what is going on, and how to work with all those curves and transients in the smoothest possible ways. Warp points tell what to do, analysis tells how to do. But with multiple tracks, it has to discover some average that serves all tracks with one formula which is to figure this out everytime we start a warp copy.

--
just some humble concepts, in case...

Hey guys.

Thank you all for your advice, it's very much appreciated.

I'm experimenting with all the techniques you showed me and got some results.
I'm still struggling to grasp the workflow because I have been a Cubase power user for years and sometimes it's hard to find my bearings but I suppose that's a given when you earn a new DAW, especially if it doesn't conform to the traditional paradigm.
Do you know if there is a place to submit feature requests?

I'm not sure I can use it as a main DAW as of yet but I'll surely be buying it because I want to support the developer. I think they're on to something REAL good here.
You guys have a great day
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

trtzbass wrote:Hey guys.

Thank you all for your advice, it's very much appreciated.

I'm experimenting with all the techniques you showed me and got some results.
I'm still struggling to grasp the workflow because I have been a Cubase power user for years and sometimes it's hard to find my bearings but I suppose that's a given when you earn a new DAW, especially if it doesn't conform to the traditional paradigm.
Do you know if there is a place to submit feature requests?

I'm not sure I can use it as a main DAW as of yet but I'll surely be buying it because I want to support the developer. I think they're on to something REAL good here.
You guys have a great day
There's a newer way to do warp time, adding it on the clip itself, which is MUCH easier and more fun to use, because you're dragging the markers on the clip on the timeline itself. So if you're trying to match up things like transients in your clip with downbeats on another track (or similar), it's much easier to line those things up.

I'm pretty sure there's a video that explains that better, but it's clip based FX, add Warp time to the clip, rather than in the properties panel at the bottom. Let me see if I can find the video ...
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

This isn't the video I was thinking of, but it shows you how to apply Warp Time as an effect on the clip itself (although the video actually demonstrates some of the other clip based effects, not warp time ...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTwfwEgRELE

Choose warp time this way, and compare to the other video method (which was from T6, clip based effects came in with T7, I think)

Wel that worked like a charm!

Cheers! I hope Waveform picks up, er, traction.
The more I dig the better I like it
chico.co.uk wrote:This isn't the video I was thinking of, but it shows you how to apply Warp Time as an effect on the clip itself (although the video actually demonstrates some of the other clip based effects, not warp time ...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTwfwEgRELE

Choose warp time this way, and compare to the other video method (which was from T6, clip based effects came in with T7, I think)
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Actually, I tell a lie, the first thing Woody demonstrates is how to use Warp Time as a clip effect ... haha, i must have skipped past that when i tried to find the vid just now, on YouTube. From about 1minute in, it's how to use Warp Time on the clip

So, clip-based Warp Time came with T7?

However, a virtual, track-based warp should be very useful too, because it can work with complete stems or mixbusses, not requiring a physical audio object. Hope this exists, or is under way..

-
Yeah, bear with the developers, their approach is wise and innovative, and they have to go very stony and uphill paths. I strongly believe that this has great merits.

Yeah, multi track (or bus) time warp would be a great addition!

If you don't mind asking again: is there an official feature request thread for Waveform's next release?
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Return to “Tracktion”