Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
mediumaevum
KVRist

136 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Postby mediumaevum; Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:02 am Remembrance - emotional orchestral piece

Need some feedback on my new composition:

https://soundcloud.com/mediumaevum-artist/remembrance
JKillz
KVRist

181 posts since 29 Dec, 2017, from USA

Postby JKillz; Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:54 pm Re: Remembrance - emotional orchestral piece

This is very well done imo.

I won't pretend to be an expert, but it sounded good to me. I liked how it was building in tension as new elements were being added until the wall of sound was upon me.

Good stuff ;)
Allomerus
KVRAF

1998 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 am Re: Remembrance - emotional orchestral piece

Sounds very good. The strings sound great and the harmonic progression is too.
The one small thing I would add for this style of music is some counter melodies.
Lovely delicate ending.
Well done!
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
ChamMusic
KVRian

840 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:34 am Re: Remembrance - emotional orchestral piece

Suits the title very well.

In many ways it's in the vein of pure James Horner...very simple, but effective harmonies and melodies....emotional moments from APOLLO 13 and / or TITANIC etc.

The overall structure is basically sound with the repetition of your two themes via bigger orchestration each time, but it lacks certain subtle textural elements that would help it grow and flow more naturally...

1) Main melody needs more emphasis at times...doubling on another instrument maybe at key moments...there is some, I know, but that melody gets lost in the big string sound...Horner sometimes uses a smooth trumpet sound at big moments to lift main melodies.

2) There are subtle hints at counter melodies in there, but they are quite hidden...more textural variety would bring them out?

3) Each section just 'is' in terms of texture / layers...there is variation and development, but not enough for me. The use of different instruments should ebb and flow much more fluidly to make each phrase ebb and flow / rise and fall.

4) Decorations... String runs, woodwind runs?

5) Big finish section gradually needs more movement and energy as it rises...too static at the moment for me. For example the lower strings could easily bring in more rhythmic motifs?

Also:
Although I've always liked the 'let's repeat a musical idea with bigger orchestration' approach, it almost always works best when there is a big contrasting section somewhere which briefly takes the listener somewhere else entirely...Horner does it a lot...lifts the emotional content further when you return to the main themes.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
mediumaevum
KVRist

136 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Postby mediumaevum; Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:47 am Re: Remembrance - emotional orchestral piece

Thank you all, I updated my track, would you like to listen to it once more?

I added some new stuff. Link is the same.
ChamMusic
KVRian

840 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 am Re: Remembrance - emotional orchestral piece

Definitely more textural variation now.

If you listen to some of JH's soundtrack work, you'll hear how he uses various parts of the orchestra to great effect...they drop in and out seamlessly at times.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
Bansaw
KVRist

310 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Postby Bansaw; Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:06 pm Re: Remembrance - emotional orchestral piece

:tu:
Win10x64, i7-7700k, 16Gb, 500Gb SSD, 2TB, Reaper x64. Albion One, Avenger, Kontakt 5, Motu Ethno. | My feedback | Youtube channel |
My VPS Avenger Sapphire expansion | www.BansawCrown.com | My Freebies

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe