Supposedly Abandoned Mineshaft (feedback welcome)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The locals told you the mineshaft was abandoned.
You went down alone...

https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132 ... -mineshaft

Feedback always welcomed. :idea:

nice ominous feel, some great crescendos :)
very impressive work.
you should scout for soundtrack work if you don't already.

vurt wrote:you should scout for soundtrack work if you don't already.
Thank you.
I'm not sure how to scout for work.
At present music is a very nice hobby for me. I still need to work on my mixing and especially mastering.

Definitely fits the description!
As vurt says, great crescendos and very cool use of orchestration!
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Good bit of underscore writing...creates the appropriate atmosphere from the very first note and then develops various musical ideas.

The use of texture / orchestration is quite effective, but a little bit clunky at times...the ebb and flow between different sections could be smoother with the use of strings / brass / woodwind / percussion morphing more seamlessly.

ChamMusic wrote:The use of texture / orchestration is quite effective, but a little bit clunky at times...the ebb and flow between different sections could be smoother with the use of strings / brass / woodwind / percussion morphing more seamlessly.
Thanks. I appreciate constructive feedback like this.
I could have worked on this piece more. For me I got listeners fatigue, whereby I played and played over and over this track while I was composing it so much that I got tired of hearing it and just wanted to finish it and move on. Maybe this is something in my mentality I need to work on.
Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Thanks. I appreciate constructive feedback like this.
I could have worked on this piece more. For me I got listeners fatigue, whereby I played and played over and over this track while I was composing it so much that I got tired of hearing it and just wanted to finish it and move on. Maybe this is something in my mentality I need to work on.
Anyway, thanks again for the advice.
I get that feeling all the time! :0)

If I'm writing to a deadline, then I just have to cut through it; otherwise I tend to shelve projects sometimes for a couple of weeks or more and come back to them 'fresh'...well worth trying as you get a whole new perspective on a piece sometimes.
Last edited by ChamMusic on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChamMusic wrote:otherwise I tend to shelve projects sometimes for a couple of weeks or more and come back to them 'fresh'...well worth trying as you get a whole new perspective on a piece sometimes.
Wise words. Sometimes you just hit a natural brick wall. Instead of trying to force your way through that wall, it pays to walk away. Come back later with a ladder. Much more effective to climb over the wall than bang your head against it.

I've had tracks sit around for years not knowing where to go with them, before suddenly feeling inspired and finishing them off. And sometimes the track writes itself, and it's done in one go.

The one big piece of advice I'd offer in this context is to keep an open mind about revisiting tracks. I find that after I've finished a track I sometimes feel a bit directionless or uninspired. If I still feel like being creative, I fire up old tracks and give them a listen. Sometimes I just add a quick thing here or there or fix the odd note and move along. Sometimes that lights the spark and magic happens. One thing is for sure, you will never complete an unfinished track if you never load the project.

The one big piece of advice I'd offer in this context is to keep an open mind about revisiting tracks. I find that after I've finished a track I sometimes feel a bit directionless or uninspired. If I still feel like being creative, I fire up old tracks and give them a listen. Sometimes I just add a quick thing here or there or fix the odd note and move along. Sometimes that lights the spark and magic happens. One thing is for sure, you will never complete an unfinished track if you never load the project.
100% agree....just finished: "Last Adventure for a Buccaneer King?" It was actually a track that I sketched out some initial ideas for over 6 months ago. I revisited them 2 weeks ago after completing a different track and the whole thing just flowed to a rapid finish this time around!

Return to “Music Cafe”