Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
sjm
KVRAF

1542 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:28 am No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

Inspired by JKillz and recursive one, I decided the time had come for me to knock up my own trance/tarnce tune. This should be a rite of passage for all KVR members IMO.

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/no-harm-done

It's been a long time since I was dancing in fields at sunrise to this sort of thing. I reckon my checklist was solid enough though: 4 to the floor kick, rolling bassline, ethnic instruments, female vocals, reverse cymbals

If I missed something crucial, let me know! Feedback is appreciated. The end is haphazard, as I had no idea how to end this sort of thing.

For those of you who like gear lists, here's what I used:

Lots of Harmor (hence the name). The synths are FL Studio Stock:
  • BassDrum
  • DrumPad (snare and hats)
  • Harmor (bass, arp, leads, pad, acid squelches)
  • Sytrus (the "wizzy" sound in the sitar break)
  • 3xOsc (lasers, risers, white noise)
  • SliceX (with sitar and ethnic drums loops from HG Sounds)

Also features:
  • Alchemy Player (drum impacts)
  • Vocalise 2 (Kontakt lib - pad vocals)
  • Damage (Kontakt lib - roto toms)
  • Whoosh Machine (Kontakt lib - long riser)
  • Sample from the Black Octopus free Siren Pack ("You're Free")
  • TR-909 clap sample from the 200 drum machines collection
  • Ethnic drum sample from 99Sounds
  • "Plop" sample from 99Sounds
  • Some random free cymbal sounds of unknown provenance
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)
layzer
KVRAF

5265 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 am Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

solid, enjoyable old skool trance here. nice varied composition and cool sounds. kept my toes tapping. nice one, SJM. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
markkuja
KVRian

781 posts since 28 Oct, 2005, from Finland

Postby markkuja; Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:18 am Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

Pleasant track with variable parts.
I liked the arrangement and orchestration.
Nice mix and sounds
Bansaw
KVRist

274 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Postby Bansaw; Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:26 pm Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

@1:22 high pitched lead a little to loud in the mix for my ears.
But, have to say overall it was a 9 out of 10 for me. Very good. I really enjoyed all the elements you put in; made it interesting.
++
Win10x64, i7-7700k, 16Gb, 500Gb SSD, 2TB, Reaper x64. Albion One, Avenger, Kontakt 5, Motu Ethno. | My feedback | Youtube |
JKillz
KVRist

181 posts since 29 Dec, 2017, from USA

Postby JKillz; Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:47 pm Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

Hey there, this is awesome to hear and I am flattered to play any part in inspiring this really well done song!

Keep em coming, definitely enjoying this track :)
sjm
KVRAF

Postby sjm; Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:56 pm Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

layzer wrote:solid, enjoyable old skool trance here. nice varied composition and cool sounds. kept my toes tapping. nice one, SJM. :tu:

Trance 1:0 Tarnce then.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

markkuja wrote:Pleasant track with variable parts.
I liked the arrangement and orchestration.
Nice mix and sounds

I always liked trance that takes you on a trip. Even if the core is pretty repetitive, the stuff I've liked has always evolved on top of that, telling a story, rather than just being a series of nice loops. I'm guessing that's what you're picking up on here.

Bansaw wrote:@1:22 high pitched lead a little to loud in the mix for my ears.
But, have to say overall it was a 9 out of 10 for me. Very good. I really enjoyed all the elements you put in; made it interesting.
++

Yeah I picked up on that the other day too. I spent a bit of time taming the resonance of various synths based on earlier feedback. And somehow I missed that part. One day, when I have 30 minutes, I'll fix it... or not :)

Anyway, it's good to know that people are enjoying the overall progression/arrangement and find it interesting. I'm somewhat loathe to write songs that are longer than 3-4 minutes because you can bore the listener so easily.

JKillz wrote:Hey there, this is awesome to hear and I am flattered to play any part in inspiring this really well done song!

Keep em coming, definitely enjoying this track :)

Dunno if I'm going to suddenly become a tarnce produser, but I'd always wanted to complete a trance track. Listening to your stuff sparked that interest again. One more thing off the bucket list!

Now it's back to whiny indie rock.
Frantz
KVRAF

4744 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:28 pm Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

Great job! Impressive versatility - 80's rock, reggae, trance. Is there anything you can't do?
sjm
KVRAF

Postby sjm; Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:35 pm Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

Frantz wrote:Great job! Impressive versatility - 80's rock, reggae, trance. Is there anything you can't do?

Sing? Oh, and I never felt comfortable with ambient death polka.

On a more serious note, I like a lot of different types of music, so whatever tickles my fancy is fair game. But my ability when it comes to non-western stuff is very limited. Though I can strum a wicked Beatles-esque tune on saz, much to the chagrin of those who actually play the instrument... :D I've played with some oriental (pan-Arabic/Turkish) and Indian musicians, but always with a bit of a Western slant to everything. One day I'm going to learn to do Mongolian throat singing (or not). That has always fascinated me.
fastlanephil
KVRian

510 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 pm Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decid

Well done EDM. Really good!

Now how do I get out this Trance?

I just can’t stop!!! :o
sjm
KVRAF

Postby sjm; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:01 pm Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decid

fastlanephil wrote:Well done EDM. Really good!

Thanks Phil.

fastlanephil wrote:Now how do I get out this Trance?

I just can’t stop!!! :o

Have you tried listening to some Napalm Death? That works for me.
markkuja
KVRian

781 posts since 28 Oct, 2005, from Finland

Postby markkuja; Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 pm Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

sjm wrote:I always liked trance that takes you on a trip. Even if the core is pretty repetitive, the stuff I've liked has always evolved on top of that, telling a story, rather than just being a series of nice loops. I'm guessing that's what you're picking up on here.

I closed my eyes and...
The soundscape take me first flying over ice cold Alaska.
Then the wind carried me to the warm east Asia
and finally I flew into the space.
Last edited by markkuja on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
htcnext2
KVRist

227 posts since 3 Jul, 2017, from Austria

Postby htcnext2; Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:28 pm Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

Nicely done. Solid bass base. The eastern guitar thing is nice, too. Very variable all over, the different parts come in fine. Enjoyed listening.
Greetings
HM
sjm
KVRAF

Postby sjm; Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:03 am Re: No Harm Done | Trance/Tarnce (you decide!)

htcnext2 wrote:Nicely done. Solid bass base. The eastern guitar thing is nice, too. Very variable all over, the different parts come in fine. Enjoyed listening.
Greetings
HM

I like the way the sitar came out too. I don't often do the slicing waves thing, so it was interesting trying to write melodies like that, rather than using actual notes. It's actually the second song I've used the sitar samples on, but in the previous one I just took the entire loop and use it as is (with a gazillion FX on it).

I'm glad you enjoyed it, your latest track was really good, so I take that is a welcome compliment!

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe