117 posts since 13 Sep, 2005

Postby Soleil Vert; Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:41 am Soleil Vert: Kosmos 1999

...sort of retro-futuristic synth track

https://soundcloud.com/soleil-vert/kosmos-1999
JKillz
KVRist

181 posts since 29 Dec, 2017, from USA

Postby JKillz; Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:27 pm Re: Soleil Vert: Kosmos 1999

This came out really nice. I enjoyed the melodic content and the structure worked well for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of the clap sample used, but that is just personal taste and it is appropriate for retro.

Other than that, sounded great on my end!
Soleil Vert
KVRist

Postby Soleil Vert; Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:19 pm Re: Soleil Vert: Kosmos 1999

thanks a lot for your comments!

btw the clap comes from a tiptop 909 module, not a sample but I get your point
ChamMusic
KVRian

785 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:54 pm Re: Soleil Vert: Kosmos 1999

I agree with JKillz - loved some of the melodic content.

Personally I felt that the drums were slightly too hard-edged and in my face for this particular piece...maybe a bit too far forward in the mix is what bothered me?

That may, of course, have been your intention...a bit of contrast? I can see why you might've gone for that approach.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
Soleil Vert
KVRist

Postby Soleil Vert; Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:02 pm Re: Soleil Vert: Kosmos 1999

thank you Mark, yeah the mix is heavy on drums, I just like the sound of these modules a lot, but I will come back for the final mix with level adjustments. When you compose and mix your stuff it is like you know it too much to have a fresh listen, i hear it more like 3 months later, after I worked on other stuff... but those drums will pretty much stay hard and in your face, (909 is not a subtle sound) I do lots of more ambient pieces and this is for me a shorter and heavier piece as far as this music project is going. BTW I am working on a new mix I ditched some synth part I wasn't sure about. (0:46sec)

...thanks for the comments both of you I worked on music theory in the last few months so I expanded my choice of notes by a little bit... finally :)

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe