Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
ziegler12
KVRer

7 posts since 13 Apr, 2018

Postby ziegler12; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:15 am I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

So I am looking to start learning how to make music, but only as hobby (but it could be useful later on).
I’m a totally green, but I have a lot of the hardware (midi controller, microphone, audio interface, monitor headphones). I am currently using the free version of REAPER, but have not yet mastered it.
I am looking to buy a VST, and I have kept an eye/hear on whats out there for some time now. I am unsure which VST are really different, or are if they are kind of close to each other, that’s way I wrote this post.

I have always liked old (pop) music from the 70s/80s/90s (which is way I always like the Juno synth series). But I'm also looking for something that could be my ‘one size fit all’ VST, if such a thing exists.

here are the ones I am looking at ( * is those I think are similar):

*- OP-X PRO-II
85 € (normal full price 145,17 €)
have a really big free library of preset banks

*- TAL-U-NO-LX -75,03 $

* - Jup-8 V - 149 €

*- krong WAVESTATION -50$

- U-he's Diva - 179 $

- Sylenth1 - 139 €

Or maybe I should just use all the free VST I can find, but buy ‘Syntorial’ so I can learn how to really use them in the first place.

Syntorial - 130$ (this is in it self a VST plugin)
after I have payed for it, I can also see tutorials for these VST (Serum, Massive, Sylenth1, Z3TA+ 2, Minimoog Voyager).
Harry_HH
KVRAF

2423 posts since 4 Aug, 2006, from Helsinki

Postby Harry_HH; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:27 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

Denpends how much money you´ve got.
One of the most affordable investment at the moment in the genre you mentioned, is
9,99 $ (!), you get nine 80´s synths
https://audioplugin.deals/the-deal/

My choise, because it seems that you can put up to $ 200, is Repro1.

Arturia has some great vintage emulations, from which to choose.

Outside your genre, more modern sounds, I´d say Reaktor 6 and all the stuff you get with it.
digitalboytn
KVRian

1040 posts since 7 Dec, 2008, from Global Cowboy

Postby digitalboytn; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:46 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

My advice is to start at A and work from there....

And if you hang around this place,you'll have them all in no time flat :wink:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....
ziegler12
KVRer

Postby ziegler12; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:47 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

are those VST limted to some specific DAWs?
they all say something like: "Ableton Live 9 and higher or Kontakt 5 or higher or Logic 9 and higher"
So would they work with REAPER?
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF

2614 posts since 7 Jun, 2012, from Warsaw

Postby DJ Warmonger; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

VST synths in general work in any DAW that supports VST. If they are supported (got any updates in last few years), they will work just fine.

Reaktor is a separate platform though.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)
ziegler12
KVRer

Postby ziegler12; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:55 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

I just read this page more thoroughly (https://audioplugin.deals/the-deal/) and it clearly states: "(available in Ableton Live, Kontakt and Logic formats only)"
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF

2614 posts since 7 Jun, 2012, from Warsaw

Postby DJ Warmonger; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:56 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

Sir, you've found some shit at the end of the Internet. Clarly Ableton Live Racks are not the same as VSTs.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)
Septimon
KVRist

242 posts since 8 Mar, 2008, from Berlin

Postby Septimon; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:57 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

Did you try uhe‘s tyrell? It‘s free and i guess it has everything you need to get started. Plus you‘ll find many tutorials.
Last edited by Septimon on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ziegler12
KVRer

Postby ziegler12; Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:59 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

I have tried it before, but didn't knew how to change anything at all. it got some good sounds if memory serves me right.
Septimon
KVRist

242 posts since 8 Mar, 2008, from Berlin

Postby Septimon; Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:02 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

ziegler12 wrote:I have tried it before, but didn't knew how to change anything at all. it got some good sounds if memory serves me right.

Just google „uhe tyrell tutorial“
Harry_HH
KVRAF

2423 posts since 4 Aug, 2006, from Helsinki

Postby Harry_HH; Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:05 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

ziegler12 wrote:I just read this page more thoroughly (https://audioplugin.deals/the-deal/) and it clearly states: "(available in Ableton Live, Kontakt and Logic formats only)"

By investing $ 99 to Kontakt 5 and $ 9,99 to that 80's set, you have a rather versatile set. Kontakt is always useful to have.

If you have time to wait, you can always find good bargains.
ziegler12
KVRer

Postby ziegler12; Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:24 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

What is Kontakt 5 ?
it seems like it is a separate app all together, but it can be run on (almost?) every daw.
Michael L
KVRAF

2105 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit

Postby Michael L; Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

You answered your question. You "always like the Juno" so buy a used one and record in Reaper. Or one of those Juno emulations...
imrae
KVRist

250 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Postby imrae; Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:49 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

Kontakt is a sampler. It's very powerful and flexible which allows third-party sample libraries to have advanced features and custom interfaces. However, it is quite complicated for setting up your own samples and I would not recommend it for a beginner who is interested in making their own sounds.

The best way I know to learn synthesis is pick a synth you like the sound of that isn't too complex and has a decent preset bank. Then go through the presets and play with them until you understand how they work and can build your own version from the basic "init" setting. After doing that it is easier to form strong opinions about what kind of features you want the next synth to have...

Most of the synths you picked there are models of old analog hardware; this is a good thing as they tend to have manageable feature sets and decent front-panel controls. It does mean however that their range is more limited than some modern digital synths. Also, a lot of their cost comes from modelling accuracy that you shouldn't care about at this stage. The Wavestation is very much the "odd one out" of those, being based on an early digital synth.

I would suggest to start with the free Tyrell and Noisemaker synths which are decent quality and quite manageable. I can't comment on Syntorial but can see that might be a good investment if others have had a good experience with it?
Distorted Horizon
KVRian

917 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Postby Distorted Horizon; Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:40 am Re: I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

My opinion: Stick with Reaper and go through freeware (bedroomproducersblog can help you there greatly.. Or latest issue of computer music magazine). But don't put a dime in to a softwaresynth.. Yet.

OR

Buy second hand Reason(10) with a price of a vst, that has everything you need to keep busy for years.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7055320
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)