Flux Pure range - any good still?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hardly hear any talk anymore about these plugins. Did they fall by the wayside? They have a 10th anniversary sale on at the moment and the Pure plugins are all reduced - I'm slightly interested in the Pure Compressor and DExpander (sort of the opposite of peak compression). I know I should just demo but hey... any KVRers still into these?

MogwaiBoy wrote:any KVRers still into these?
Never were.

Their free plugins were so buggy and unreliable for me that I didn't bother trying their paid products.

I use them all the time. There was a time when the mac versions were giving me troubles, but that was a couple of years ago. My go to for surgical work. If i was to have one request it would be a slightly larger gui. Sound wise they :)

I'm pretty interested in their new channel strip coming out soon. :party:
https://fluxhome.com/project/evo-channel

I got the Studio Session bundle from the FS forum for a bargain price. I mainly wanted the spectrum analyzer. The rest of the Pure plugins in the group seem like they haven’t received any updates for quite a while.

Tappistry wrote:I got the Studio Session bundle from the FS forum for a bargain price. I mainly wanted the spectrum analyzer. The rest of the Pure plugins in the group seem like they haven’t received any updates for quite a while.
Me too and the analyzer I can't get to work. it seems to use IP to send audio data internally - weird. The other plugins are ok and offer some interesting parameters but in general there are newer better tools. The UI is very small on my 30" monitor which makes them hard to use. The most recent plugin is Bittersweet which is more modern and sounds great with some excellent tranient processing options.

plexuss wrote:
Me too and the analyzer I can't get to work. it seems to use IP to send audio data internally - weird. The other plugins are ok and offer some interesting parameters but in general there are newer better tools. The UI is very small on my 30" monitor which makes them hard to use. The most recent plugin is Bittersweet which is more modern and sounds great with some excellent tranient processing options.
It uses bonjour (iirc) for that, make sure you have it running. The networking aspect
it uses should be zeroconfig beyond that. Just select the correct machine from the list.

Anyway, typically thats the problem.

-Cheers

pekbro wrote:
plexuss wrote:
It uses bonjour (iirc) for that, make sure you have it running. The networking aspect
it uses should be zeroconfig beyond that. Just select the correct machine from the list.

Anyway, typically thats the problem.

-Cheers
Interesting.... but.... bonjour is a handshaking prototol, no? What sharing services need to be on? Eg. File sharing, remote login, etc The options in the Sharing prefs? I thought bonjour was basically on when a sharing services is on - it will use bonjor to handshake with a remote machine. can you tell me specifically what parameters to set?

bonjour is Apple's zeroconfig networking service. Used to discover shared printers
and windows machines apparently. Its a service that must be running, at least on windows
(mac too I would think), you shouldn't have to change any settings which is kinda the point of it.

IIRC you're using mac?

I cant say for certain, but I cant see why they would use something else on
the mac. Unfortunately, I cant say how to use it either. I would think
you wouldn't have to do anything other than verify it's working and running.
Then add the sample grabber plug-in, start the Analyzer app selecting your
machine from the list of available connections.

-Cheers

pekbro wrote:bonjour is Apple's zeroconfig networking service. Used to discover shared printers
and windows machines apparently. Its a service that must be running, at least on windows
(mac too I would think), you shouldn't have to change any settings which is kinda the point of it.

IIRC you're using mac?

I cant say for certain, but I cant see why they would use something else on
the mac. Unfortunately, I cant say how to use it either. I would think
you wouldn't have to do anything other than verify it's working and running.
Then add the sample grabber plug-in, start the Analyzer app selecting your
machine from the list of available connections.
-Cheers
The analyzer and soundgrabber talk to each other - I can name it and select it in the analyzer but then it gives me a connection error to a specifc IP port, in the analyzer. No worries - I'll figure it out eventually, or not. Back to the regular program...

I have the Studio Session bundle which is a comprehensive set of mixing tools but not exact analogues to the individual products. The Analyzer is one of the best ones - low CPU, configurable, accurate (other stuff just isn't), looks great. The network architecture was a little odd at first but I imagine it's great for some situations where you have a lot of Grabbers and a secondary monitoring workstation. Anyway, it's also nice that the display client isn't bound to the DAW. But yeah, I kill services routinely to optimize and found out the hard way it really needs Bonjour and its ports open.

Some are older and the GUIs are on the small side and if you have a large display it may be a problem. But they sound great, and are coded well especially now that CPUs are much faster. The algo reverb hardly makes a dent, goes up to 30 seconds, so it's a pretty good "default". The dynamics processors are interesting; there are adaptive features and controls on all of them, try the demos; it's kind of subtle and highly context-dependant, and I don't know what else is in your toolkit. Syrah in particular is good at bringing out sound without killing it. I use Bittersweet frequently for targeted transient shaping. All the plugins have a morphing A-B state parameter and knob modulation is smooth, so they're very useful for creative effects as well - e.g., automate the reverb for some flange-type smear.

I think they're kind of like McDsp - very clean sounding processors. Quality stuff IMHO and a BARGAIN at Christmas time

The Evo Channel is now available for demo and purchase. $119 not too bad, better than
I expected actually. Looks nice, lets give it a whirl :tu:

*Note: no 32 bit VST support apparently. FYI

I picked up the d-compressor in the sale as I've had my eye on it for a while, wasn't too impressed at first, found it confusing, so read the manual. My word the amount of control you have for shaping sound is pretty amazing. There is this control called L.I.D (level independent detector) which at first I thought was like a dynamic threshold control, but it doesn't go by sound levels, like a threshold would.

Using this control you can set the standard threshold to take care of the louder parts and L.I.D to take care of the quiet parts so it doesn't pump the signal. The amount of control is something I haven't seen in many if any other dynamic tools, flux comps are useful for when you want to work with overly dynamic or problematic sources and or general duties too.

If you signed up for the mailing list they sent you a €15 voucher, this was working a month or two back as I lost my original code and signed up again, used my voucher on d-comp, have to use it in their shop, which bought the price into no brainer territory, not sure if they still do this but worth a mention. I'm gutted I spent my money on fission and not the cheaper flux pack on black friday, as I would of got fission for $1 a month later in the anthology upgrade. One thing flux should do is get dan worrall to do tutorials on all their plugs, as they offer a lot of options and tutorial videos for flux stuff are thin on the ground, plus dan is genius at making the complex seem simple.

EVO Channel is pretty nice imho...

Return to “Effects”