IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

So IKM are getting into hardware synths now:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/unosynth/

Seems like a fun little box for 200€

Interesting. Surely IK can make the editor a VST also.

Yeah, I hope so - especially as it says you need the editor/midi ccs to access some of the parameters (eg full ADSRs).

Has a lot of things going for it - 2 x VCOs with continuous shape, 2-pole multimode filter with drive, 7 shape LFO inc S & H etc.

It says fully analog signal path with no caveats - so that would suggest the delay is analog too.

This video goes into more depth:

https://youtu.be/fsugtg_Tqlw

It looks like a competitor in the Volca-type niche, we don't really have much in that area. I bet the next thing they're planning is some sort of "Uno Sampler".

It sounds good in the promo video, however, having listened to their soundcloud demos there doesn't seem to be much sonic range - it all sounds kind of the same; I hope it's just bad demos and not the synth, but I guess we'll see in some reviews later.

Another thing I noticed in the soundcloud demos is some sort of audio artifact always present in each demo - kind of like a low sample rate artifact, especially noticeable in the short decay demos. Don't know if it's just a bad recording or an actual artifact of the synth, it doesn't sound pleasant.

It is a mono synth with analog drive/distortion, so it's not all that surprising that the patches seem skewed to showing it off as a bass synth.

I wonder if the artefacts you mentioned are coming from the delay?

Personally I think it sounds good, and although it's close to the volcas in price, it seems a much more advanced offering in terms of the synthesis options for the money.

With the built-in USB MIDI port, UNO Synth also integrates directly with a DAW or other audio tools running on Mac/PC computers or mobile devices
How about getting the audio back into the DAW? Only over the Audio Out?

Also, note "2 x MIDI 2.5mm mini-jack to DIN cables (IN/OUT)". Replacement would be $/€20 (plus VAT).

Just thinking out loud: is this the first of several? Maybe I will be able to download into it to create a different synth?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:
With the built-in USB MIDI port, UNO Synth also integrates directly with a DAW or other audio tools running on Mac/PC computers or mobile devices
How about getting the audio back into the DAW? Only over the Audio Out?

Also, note "2 x MIDI 2.5mm mini-jack to DIN cables (IN/OUT)". Replacement would be $/€20 (plus VAT).

Just thinking out loud: is this the first of several? Maybe I will be able to download into it to create a different synth?
This truly is an analog synth - so the USB connection is for MIDI and the editor only, not audio. Oh and you can sync MIDI clock with your DAW so the sequencer/arpeggiator can follow DAW tempo (even changes).

db3 wrote:Interesting. Surely IK can make the editor a VST also.
That's on the table. Oops, that pun was unintentional! Anyway, that's been suggested internally.

Hmm, 2.5mm mini-jacks not the usual 3.5mm?

A big thanks for honoring Jam Points on a hardware unit. I have just preordered the Uno and was able to apply all of my Jampoints to the price bringing the cost down substantially. Pretty amazing deal for a nicely spec'd analog synth with a powerful sequencer. I wish you well with the product and I am looking forward to putting this through its paces. I have never been disappointed by an IK purchase after the sale. - Scotty

Sonic State first look: https://youtu.be/-2k0bwYLwus

That looks alike a really good first step in to the hardware synth market, well done IKM :tu:

A lot of bank for the buck and sounds great- love battery powered summer synth toys :phones:

PS- I also pre-ordered and knocked 20E off with Jam Points... :D
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

OneOfManyPauls wrote:Hmm, 2.5mm mini-jacks not the usual 3.5mm?
2.5mm is just for the (provided) midi leads- this size seems to be the new standard for these little devices.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Well, a battery powered cheap looking plastic synth that didn't produce any new character sounds. Don't know what to think about it after the big marketing blurb :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”