Automatic EQ

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I just saw that Acon has a VST EQ called Defilter that makes a track adhere to some kind of general standard, turning (for example) dull recordings automatically into well-balanced ones.

I'm just wondering if there are other applications like this one - perhaps even to a lower price (Defilter is 99 USD, which is admittedly not a lot in itself).

Thanks!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Normally I'd say any EQ with matching functions would do the job (and there are tons out there). Just feed it with e.g. pink noise as reference and it will balance the mix.

But Defilter seems to do more than just balancing the mix like damping spectral errors (peaks and valleys). Maybe Zynaptiq Unfilter can do something like this, don't know.

Gregorius wrote:Normally I'd say any EQ with matching functions would do the job (and there are tons out there). Just feed it with e.g. pink noise as reference and it will balance the mix.
Thanks. I looked into pink noise calibration but it doesn't seem to be recommended much for keeping a track well-balanced (as opposed to neutral).

However I just saw Hornet's new auto eq plugin for twenty euros. Maybe that can do the trick? I just want to make sure my mix doesn't sound way too boomy or harsh.

Here is what the dev says about the plugin:
The equalizer has a very special feature called the “Auto EQ”, when enabled (both in static and continuous mode) the output of the spectrum analyzer is used to tune the gain for each of the EQ band allowing the equalizer to automatic set itself so that the maximum harmonic balance is achieved, removing frequency masking and improving mix clarity

...or can I do this with any EQ? I didn't quite get it (matching EQ). Thanks!
Go MuLab!

I read more on this subject. Too bad EQuivocate is not free anymore. :?

Still wondering about the Hornet plugin though.
Go MuLab!

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonible smart:EQ live,

On sale for 2 days at Audio Deluxe, $65 instead of $219... Cant say I've tried it
as I'm not interested in smart EQ's at all. I've heard good stuff about their
eq's and this seems a pretty good deal I think.

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/au ... arteq-live

Vortifex wrote:Hornet's new ThirtyOne has potential but it's very buggy. When you set it to auto the EQ sliders don't seem to accurately represent the proper setting - let the auto EQ do its thing, turn it off so it stops adjusting itself, move a slider and then move it back to its original position and the sound will be way off. To my ears it emphasizes the highs a bit too much but it cleans up a rough mix pretty well.
I haven't experienced the buggy aspect you've mentioned. I will say that trying to move the sliders to a desired position is tricky. Being that you can manually enter exact values in the entry box solves that issue. Considering that all the bands are in various positions after using the auto feature... it makes sense that the sound would be off moving a single slider given the purpose of this tool.

Thanks! Note that there is a Hornet 31 discussion here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-pro ... st13326546

Thanks for the tip about the 65$ deal too.
Go MuLab!

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote:
pc2000 wrote:
Vortifex wrote:Hornet's new ThirtyOne has potential but it's very buggy. When you set it to auto the EQ sliders don't seem to accurately represent the proper setting - let the auto EQ do its thing, turn it off so it stops adjusting itself, move a slider and then move it back to its original position and the sound will be way off. To my ears it emphasizes the highs a bit too much but it cleans up a rough mix pretty well.
I haven't experienced the buggy aspect you've mentioned. I will say that trying to move the sliders to a desired position is tricky. Being that you can manually enter exact values in the entry box solves that issue. Considering that all the bands are in various positions after using the auto feature... it makes sense that the sound would be off moving a single slider given the purpose of this tool.
You've misunderstood me. Wait for the auto EQ to finish, turn it off, move a slider and then move it back to its exact original position - it will sound as if you've boosted that frequency by a few dB. I note that others have reported similar behaviour elsewhere. Hopefully he'll fix it.
Ok... now I understand the issue. I was testing the original 1.0.0 DEMO release which didn't have the issue to my knowledge. After purchasing the full version, I could see what the complaint was about. The plugin has gotten worse IMO with each update as far as the sound. The 1.0.0 version gave a nice enhancement while keeping the sound balanced & the auto-Q feature produced more consistent results. The newer versions destroy the sound by making it thinner & in some cases duller. I also noticed each time you restart the auto-Q for the same track, you get a mixed bag of results. :scared:

SparkySpark wrote: Here is what the dev says about the plugin:
The equalizer has a very special feature called the “Auto EQ”, when enabled (both in static and continuous mode) the output of the spectrum analyzer is used to tune the gain for each of the EQ band allowing the equalizer to automatic set itself so that the maximum harmonic balance is achieved, removing frequency masking and improving mix clarity
That's the plugin that I'm looking for - "continuous mode", maybe combined with "static" (reference) mode at the same time.
Wondering if there's a plugin that's worth 100$+ instead of 20. I've never heard about Defilter but it looks good, I'm concerned about too few controls though judging by screenshot.

The plugin would adjust dynamic eq to damp boosts in frequency domain, maybe apply slight compression in the same domain, while keeping overall "picture".
Since Neutrino is not good enough, iZotope has other better options.

Any new alternatives? Will keep looking for something else.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”