Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
biodiode
KVRist

397 posts since 23 Sep, 2003, from UK

Postby biodiode; Sun May 20, 2018 10:23 am Gravitational Flux

Came up with this little track over the weekend. Hopefully, a nice way to ease into the working week: https://soundcloud.com/biodiode/gravitational-flux
wagtunes
KVRAF

11726 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sun May 20, 2018 11:27 am Re: Gravitational Flux

Kind of a cloak and dagger intro and feel on this one. I can imagine this as a soundtrack for some mystery show. Mix sounds good to me. Enough variety to keep me interested. A little on the loud side in places. Were you pinning 0 db on this one? Seems like not a lot of head room was left. Not that that's a bad thing. All in all, very well done.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

9991 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Sun May 20, 2018 12:00 pm Re: Gravitational Flux

I don't mind the composition, but the mix is very muddy, and lacks punch, definition and dynamics etc. By the time the drums come in there is no room for them :shrug:

I think it would be definitely worth stripping it back to it's core, giving it a more solid foundation, then gradually adding back in the rest of the parts with a different perspective of where they might best be placed in the spectrum to allow the whole thing to breath a little better :tu:
biodiode
KVRist

Postby biodiode; Mon May 21, 2018 12:33 am Re: Gravitational Flux

Thank you both. Been back to look at the track and oops, I left Sonarworks Reference on when I bounced the mixed. New mix uploaded, which is a tad quieter and no longer pinging the 0db.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Mon May 21, 2018 12:52 am Re: Gravitational Flux

biodiode wrote:Thank you both. Been back to look at the track and oops, I left Sonarworks Reference on when I bounced the mixed. New mix uploaded, which is a tad quieter and no longer pinging the 0db.

Haha! I did the same thing with Reference a few days ago :oops:

Unfortunately the mix issues still persist :shrug:

The likely biggest offenders are the bass (specifically the frequency), and the fact that it is swamped in reverb. This is taking a huge amount of your upper-bass/lower-mid space. If that's the bass you wish to keep, then some eq shaping would be a great start, followed by sorting that reverb out :tu:

There are other things to suggest, but I shouldn't presume you are even interested.
biodiode
KVRist

Postby biodiode; Mon May 21, 2018 1:35 am Re: Gravitational Flux

Hmm, strange as there is no reverb on the bass at all but I shortened the release envelope which seems to have helped.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Mon May 21, 2018 5:00 am Re: Gravitational Flux

biodiode wrote:Hmm, strange as there is no reverb on the bass at all but I shortened the release envelope which seems to have helped.

If there's no reverb built into the bass sound itself, then I guess it's a pad/ambience running around the same frequency.

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe