Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
woggle
KVRAF

1513 posts since 23 Nov, 2012

Postby woggle; Wed May 23, 2018 3:41 am generative piece : variation on Mompou's Paisajes #2

variation on Mompou's Paisajes #2

https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/varia ... paisajes-2

More selectionist than strictly generative.
The composition method was to take an audio file of a piano performance of the Mompou piece. Then I transform that by gradually adding reverb so that the pitch of individual notes is harder to discern over time (swamped by the reverb). At that stage I have a transformed audio file. I then analyse that file using Melodyne, which has a very good guess at the pitch of the material and outputs a corresponding midi file. My preprocessing of the audio with reverb is designed to confuse the algorithm Melodyne uses - a bit but not too much. My assumption was the midi output would be fairly close to the original and get less and less so as the algorithm got confused by the increasing reverb. Then (I thought) I would reverse the midi file and that would give me a structure of notes going from fairly random to quite tonal. After that it is pretty much a selectionist process - keep what I like, erase the rest. Plus of course deciding on instrumentation, splitting notes across instruments and so on.
Using this method I have a fair idea of what I am going to try for quite early - although I might end up getting stuck, change some instruments and go in another direction. But generally within a short time I would have a feel for the style I want to go for. The specifics aren't finished until the very end. It is a bit like the traditional stone sculpture process - gradually reveal what you have a notion of by chipping away and refining
wagtunes
KVRAF

11726 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Wed May 23, 2018 4:03 am Re: generative piece : variation on Mompou's Paisajes #2

Without a doubt one of the more unusual pieces I've heard here. This would make great soundtrack material.
woggle
KVRAF

1513 posts since 23 Nov, 2012

Postby woggle; Wed May 23, 2018 4:05 am Re: generative piece : variation on Mompou's Paisajes #2

wagtunes wrote:Without a doubt one of the more unusual pieces I've heard here.

thanks wagtunes

wagtunes wrote: This would make great soundtrack material.

I am open to offers :)
experimental.crow
KVRAF

5299 posts since 9 Mar, 2003, from The Druid Hills

Postby experimental.crow; Wed May 23, 2018 5:37 am Re: generative piece : variation on Mompou's Paisajes #2

moody , and evocative ...
thoroughly enjoyed reading your process , and the thought behind it ...
Unaspected
KVRist

269 posts since 4 May, 2012

Postby Unaspected; Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 pm Re: generative piece : variation on Mompou's Paisajes #2

It feels like an eternal state of expectancy. I really like your composition method. Nice work.

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe