Linnstrumentalist aaron rouby sound

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone
First of all thanks again to Roger for the great clip he prepared.
I fell in love for the EP sound of the very first clip of the collection but I can’t find aaron on YouTube. I want to know where that sound comes from :)

You’re very welcome!

I just asked Aaron and he said it's the Scarbee Mark I electric piano from Native Instruments.

If you have an iPad, ghiekorg, I can also highly recommend "iLectric" and "Neo-Soul Keys". I use both, live onstage, and they are stable and sound fantastic.

Cheers!

Thank you everyone for the reply. i love that sound! I am trying the demo :)

About neo-soul: i have it, but i find it really difficult to play. The velocity seems to act in a weird way. often i have to change the curve to be really high otherwise, even with the linnstrument set on high sensitivity, i hape to play really really hard to make the sound consistent.
Did you expererience the same thing?
Also i find the presets not that great, and i am not good in sound designing. I would love to have a preset similar to this Scarbee mark I

EDIT: actually i just went thru all the presets of neo soul keys and i guess i had something set up badly before, because there are a lot of really nice ones :D

ghiekorg wrote: About neo-soul: i have it, but i find it really difficult to play. The velocity seems to act in a weird way. often i have to change the curve to be really high otherwise, even with the linnstrument set on high sensitivity, i hape to play really really hard to make the sound consistent.
Did you experience the same thing?
Well, to be honest, though I don't have many bad things to say about the LinnStrument, I have to admit that velocity has never been its strong suit. Mind you, that observation is strictly based on my own experience using it with an iPad, so perhaps it's not as much of an issue for those using more expensive plugins on proper computers... I don't know. What I have learned, however, is that the velocity response does seem to be more accurate when the LinnStrument is not in low-power mode. So if you're using it with an iPad or other mobile device, it's worth having the LinnStrument running on a separate power supply regardless.

Personally, I don't find it overly burdensome, mostly because the sounds I design and my particular playing style allow for certain arbitrary inflections (sheepish grin), but if you were a serious pianist, you might find it frustrating.

Cheers!

Thank you John
I guess with the linnstrument is physically more difficult to be consistent regarding velocity (due to the limited movement of the pads when pressed) but i agree with you:
- using it directly into the ipad in low power mode makes the velocity often an issue, a least for me. I guess a lot depends also on apps, ipad versions, finger strenght, way of playing, etc.
- i use it thru an iconnect interface and it's better (it also allows me to use it fully powered)
- when used with "real" softwares on a "real" machines (i only tried on windows) the results are MUCH better.
- when used with mobile apps the velocity response varies A LOT. In some app even the high sensitivity is not enough, in other i had to use the low sensitivity.
- side note: sometimes i realized it was more my fault - for example i wasn't pressing the pad exactly in the center - than not the instrument or the app/sw, even though, when connected to a pc, it seems to be "merciful" about my mistakes in placing fingers (but again, maybe it's just my impression).

ghiekorg wrote:Thank you John
I guess with the linnstrument is physically more difficult to be consistent regarding velocity (due to the limited movement of the pads when pressed) but i agree with you:
- using it directly into the ipad in low power mode makes the velocity often an issue, a least for me. I guess a lot depends also on apps, ipad versions, finger strenght, way of playing, etc.
- i use it thru an iconnect interface and it's better (it also allows me to use it fully powered)
- when used with "real" softwares on a "real" machines (i only tried on windows) the results are MUCH better.
- when used with mobile apps the velocity response varies A LOT. In some app even the high sensitivity is not enough, in other i had to use the low sensitivity.
- side note: sometimes i realized it was more my fault - for example i wasn't pressing the pad exactly in the center - than not the instrument or the app/sw, even though, when connected to a pc, it seems to be "merciful" about my mistakes in placing fingers (but again, maybe it's just my impression).
Yes, from what I understand, based on many a conversation with Roger Linn, a lot of work has gone into optimizing the velocity response of the LinnStrument. Because there's no measurable distance traveled when a pad is pressed, velocity has to be calculated based on some very small tolerances. And the design of the sensor is such that the pads are actually only active one-at-a-time: i.e. each is turned on-and-off in rapid succession, like an old TV monitor. In low-power mode, however, the rate at which that happens is decreased to save power, leaving even less time, per pad, to make the velocity calculation; hence why it behaves better when it's plugged-in. Blah, blah... Something like that anyway (smirk).

I'm actually relieved to hear that it's yet more accurate when using a proper computer and software platform... Makes sense.

I use an iPad, instead of a computer, mostly for the aesthetic. I'm a touring session musician, and therefore most of what I do is live onstage... Nothing kills the rock'n'roll vibe faster than a laptop monitor and mouse pad (smirk). It was also a cheaper way to test the LinnStrument before committing to it. Now that the LinnStrument has proven itself, however, I may invest in a Surface Book or the likes (something just as inconspicuous as the iPad, but more powerful) to run UVI Falcon or Equator; unless something comes along in the hardware department first, which would be preferable. If only (sigh)...

Cheers!

John is correct and here's a little extra clarification for the inner dweeb in each of us.

In a MIDI keyboard, strike velocity is sensed by measuring the time it takes for the key to travel between two electrical contacts. By comparison, LinnStrument (and drum pads) have no such moving keys nor pairs of electrical contacts, but rather velocity is derived by tracking the rising and falling pressure signal; the rising pressure signal is tracked very precisely and when it starts to fall, a Note On is sent with a velocity inversely proportional to the rise time, with a bunch of other fine-tuning from Geert's bag of tricks. But in general, a short rise time produces a high velocity whereas a long rise time produces a low velocity.

In Low Power mode, the software must actually work harder because it must perform additional instructions to turn the lights off earlier than normal. Because the lights are turned on for a shorter blinking period, they use less power and appear to be dimmer. And because the software must work slightly harder, there is slightly less time to precisely measure the rising pressure signal from which velocity is derived, hence a slight decrease in velocity accuracy.

If anyone finds this to be a problem, a solution is to use a USB Y-Adaptor cable as described on the Hooking It Up page. This cable permits LinnStrument to be used with an iPad in full power mode, connected to the iPad for data and to a USB power adaptor for power. Or on the large LinnStrument, you can use a power supply.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”