Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
chemeleon
KVRist

39 posts since 15 Jan, 2013

Postby chemeleon; Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:38 pm Chemeleon - Lonestar

https://soundcloud.com/chemeleon/lonestar

Hi. I wrote a song. Are the levels and eq ok? Is it worth listening to more than once or more than partially?
chemeleon
KVRist

Postby chemeleon; Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 pm Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

No, probably around the 120th.
wagtunes
KVRAF

12885 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:57 pm Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

chemeleon wrote:No, probably around the 120th.

Okay, um, I don't think it's a good idea for me to comment on this. Hopefully, somebody else will.
layzer
KVRAF

5427 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:35 pm Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

wagtunes wrote:
chemeleon wrote:No, probably around the 120th.

Okay, um, I don't think it's a good idea for me to comment on this. Hopefully, somebody else will.

ok Wags, i'll bite. it was interesting, but i think it needs more Fausage Sattener:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2R937K_CyI
could also perhaps use much more reverb
:phones:
Last edited by layzer on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
chemeleon
KVRist

Postby chemeleon; Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:42 pm Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

Hmm. Well, it's all the rage these days. Maybe you'll like this one better?

https://soundcloud.com/chemeleon/emc
layzer
KVRAF

Postby layzer; Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:47 pm Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

chemeleon wrote:Hmm. Well, it's all the rage these days. Maybe you'll like this one better?

https://soundcloud.com/chemeleon/emc

no, sorry :uhuhuh:
chemeleon
KVRist

Postby chemeleon; Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:51 pm Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

Ah, ok. Thanks for the advice anyway
Eauson
KVRian

835 posts since 8 Jan, 2013, from morf

Postby Eauson; Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 am Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

Fo me personally there seems to be a lack of focus, its either the idm elements or the vocal, both don't seem to be able to sit comfortably together in the production that you seem to want to achieve. A good reference to me is afx minipops, which has a really nice balance, I would probably prefer to listen to the instrumental than the fuil vocal buts that's a personal preference.
Not sure this helps, but hey, you did ask :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face
wagtunes
KVRAF

12885 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:08 am Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

I know I'm going to regret this. The reason I asked if this was the first song you ever wrote is because there is absolutely no structure to that track. It just meanders on all over the place. No direction. No anything. I don't even know what it's doing or trying to do. Is there a verse? Is there a chorus? Did you just randomly hit notes on the keyboard?

Sorry, but that's what it sounded like to me. Somebody who has absolutely zero knowledge of how to compose a piece of music.

Now, if this was intentional (like a genre thing) then well done. Mission accomplished. But it was just too chaotic and all over the place for me.
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22864 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:43 am Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

chemeleon wrote:Hmm. Well, it's all the rage these days.

Oh yeah?
chemeleon
KVRist

Postby chemeleon; Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:10 am Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

wagtunes wrote:I know I'm going to regret this. The reason I asked if this was the first song you ever wrote is because there is absolutely no structure to that track. It just meanders on all over the place. No direction. No anything. I don't even know what it's doing or trying to do. Is there a verse? Is there a chorus? Did you just randomly hit notes on the keyboard?

Sorry, but that's what it sounded like to me. Somebody who has absolutely zero knowledge of how to compose a piece of music.

Now, if this was intentional (like a genre thing) then well done. Mission accomplished. But it was just too chaotic and all over the place for me.

No, thank you, that's exactly what I needed. I form my compositions around loops generally, I get so used to hearing them over and over I forget that variation and structure are what people expect. The way I compose, perhaps it'd be better if I concentrated on more dance oriented music, but I am very much drawn to interesting harmony and complex rhythms as well. Hence the rather unique style of composition.

Eauson wrote:Fo me personally there seems to be a lack of focus, its either the idm elements or the vocal, both don't seem to be able to sit comfortably together in the production that you seem to want to achieve. A good reference to me is afx minipops, which has a really nice balance, I would probably prefer to listen to the instrumental than the fuil vocal buts that's a personal preference.
Not sure this helps, but hey, you did ask :)

Yes, I probably need to sit down with somebody and learn some mastering techniques, right now it's all done by ear with what I've learned over the years, things like phase issues and giving things space in the mix / letting them breathe doesn't come easy to me. Perhaps I'll render out an instrumental later.
Eauson
KVRian

835 posts since 8 Jan, 2013, from morf

Postby Eauson; Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 am Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

After listening again, it seems that a reduction in volume would help and the vocal could be miss timed, when it first comes in at 24 could probably be better placed a few seconds earlier at 22 and as you have fx on the vocal, maybe some stretching to fit more comfortably in places. My reason for an instrumental was down to the structure/flow of the track, the breakdowns, the moments when you want the audience/listener to move with your sonic instruction, this maybe what people call composition, I don't know. This could be completely off, because if you listen to anything I make you may question my 2bob advice :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face
layzer
KVRAF

Postby layzer; Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:35 pm Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

thecontrolcentre wrote:
chemeleon wrote:Hmm. Well, it's all the rage these days.

Oh yeah?

yeah, it is ..because everyone is listening to music on tiny little smartphone speakers requiring audio to be squashed and amped up as much as possible to hear anything :idea:
Unreflected
KVRist

85 posts since 12 Jun, 2015

Postby Unreflected; Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:36 pm Re: Chemeleon - Lonestar

About your question.
No!
I couldn't stand it 20 seconds.

Greetings.
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe