One Year In- Should Bitwig drop the 'Upgrade Plan' model or do you like it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think the so called subscription model has done far more harm than good from what I have seen from comments here and gearslutz etc. It is completely misunderstood (still) and people object to it 'on principle'. In a time where real cloud based subscription is just taking hold (stop paying/stop using) I think BWS need to totally change or at least 're-brand' what they are doing.

Why not just do an upgrade and give free.5 upgrades in between (its realy not far of that anyway!), as soon as you put that '1 year' limit on it, it sounds like a 1 year licence. Just do 1 big upgrade a year and a couple of cool smaller free ones and you have achieved the same thing with no negative connotations or misunderstandings.

I only say this as I really want BWS to do well, its my most used bits of audio software,of course if the subscription model is very sucessful for them then I guess I can east my words, but I hope that if that is not the case they have the confidence to chgange their minds (as NI did, remeber when thay was ayear fee and you got all the updates free? That didnt work either!)
Last edited by SLiC on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:I think the so called subscription model has done far more harm than good from what I have seen from comments here and gearslutz etc.
Mainly the negative comments were about the price, not the model (the model was the excuse). If the price had been $29 nobody would have complained.

I prefer this model to the one big update approach you are suggesting. But even if I didn't, I think the worst thing to do is again change. It seems like the dust has finally settled and the new model is understood, there are hardly any complaints anymore. So I think they should stick with it... at least for 2 more years. That will give enough time to assess it.

I have zero problems with the current model.

1. Bitwig Studio is awesome.
2. The cost per year is basically nothing.

Development of great software costs money - I think Bitwig are in a far better position to understand their business model / growth. So whatever they do I'll support it because the software rocks and there is nothing like it (that I've found).

There's nothing like it, agreed. It's great and very useful to create. I know of nothing else like it.

But I'm running into technical problems the latest of which is Melda MDrummer not working while it works in Harrison Mixbus32C on the same machine (and obviously other DAWs elsewhere). It's in times like this that the some $150 spent yearly would be great to foster some return. Instead it seems that both Melda and Bitwig are in a face-to-face technological standpoint regarding this.

Cheers.

mevla wrote:But I'm running into technical problems the latest of which is Melda MDrummer not working while it works in Harrison Mixbus32C on the same machine (and obviously other DAWs elsewhere). It's in times like this that the some $150 spent yearly would be great to foster some return. Instead it seems that both Melda and Bitwig are in a face-to-face technological standpoint regarding this.
Yep - that sucks. I've run into that tech support mentality quite often. I think it's a combination of the wrong people working in tech support and / or not enough money coming in to support the product properly.

android72 wrote: Yep - that sucks. I've run into that tech support mentality quite often. I think it's a combination of the wrong people working in tech support and / or not enough money coming in to support the product properly.
Yes, but on one side I'm, so far, paying yearly.

Definitely stick with it... it's the best of both worlds for us, the consumers, and them, the company..... imo

I think its good as it is. I will only pay the next time, if specific problems are solved (mainly MPE) I bought the upgrade last year around April, all updates from the moment 2.0 was released are still working and it seems the policy is to allow bug fix releases even after the 1 year period. In reality its much more than a year. When 2.4 or whatever will be released next, has the features you need, its a simple decision, either its worth it, then you'll get it or its not, then you keep on working with what you have already... Its up to you to strech the time span as much as you want to...

mevla wrote:There's nothing like it, agreed. It's great and very useful to create. I know of nothing else like it.

But I'm running into technical problems the latest of which is Melda MDrummer not working while it works in Harrison Mixbus32C on the same machine (and obviously other DAWs elsewhere). It's in times like this that the some $150 spent yearly would be great to foster some return. Instead it seems that both Melda and Bitwig are in a face-to-face technological standpoint regarding this.

Cheers.
Just keep at it... sometimes you just have to patiently keep asking both developers. More likely it is a bug with MDrummer, but not 100% sure

pdxindy wrote: Just keep at it... sometimes you just have to patiently keep asking both developers. More likely it is a bug with MDrummer, but not 100% sure
Indeed. I wrote to Bitwig support earlier today and I suddenly bursted out laughing: what if both Melda and Bitwig, seeing my comments, would think well, he's right, we should do something, and they both end up making updates that conflict against each other that does not solve the problem :D

mevla wrote:
pdxindy wrote: Just keep at it... sometimes you just have to patiently keep asking both developers. More likely it is a bug with MDrummer, but not 100% sure
Indeed. I wrote to Bitwig support earlier today and I suddenly bursted out laughing: what if both Melda and Bitwig, seeing my comments, would think well, he's right, we should do something, and they both end up making updates that conflict against each other that does not solve the problem :D
If that happens, please let us enjoy the laugh too :)

android72 wrote:I have zero problems with the current model.

Development of great software costs money - I think Bitwig are in a far better position to understand their business model / growth. So whatever they do I'll support it because the software rocks and there is nothing like it (that I've found).
This.

Does anyone know how many people own Bitwig? How many of them are complaining about the so called subscription model?

To me it seems like a few loud people, small in numbers. Negative Nancy's. :hihi:
-JH

I don't have a problem with it as I can ignore any updates that don't float my boat. On the other hand I was expecting a faster release schedule given that they wouldn't be incentivized to save all the big enhancements for yearly one off upgrades. I don't see a faster turnaround with this model. So no biggie for me. I can sit on my wallet until I see something I like.

Scotty wrote:I don't have a problem with it as I can ignore any updates that don't float my boat. On the other hand I was expecting a faster release schedule given that they wouldn't be incentivized to save all the big enhancements for yearly one off upgrades. I don't see a faster turnaround with this model. So no biggie for me. I can sit on my wallet until I see something I like.
I think that's the thing. I start thinking "I guess I can continue using my current version for now. Buy the one year support once something really big is released". In Ableton's way you get all the small upgrades for free, so I tend to buy a major version soon after it has been released.

JHernandez wrote:
android72 wrote:I have zero problems with the current model.

This.

Does anyone know how many people own Bitwig? How many of them are complaining about the so called subscription model?

To me it seems like a few loud people, small in numbers. Negative Nancy's. :hihi:
According to most of the surveys on who uses what DAW (there was one on gearslutz, the magazines etc) the uptake of BWS seems very low, it doesn’t even get its own sub forum in the DAW section. on gearslutz! It doesn’t seem to be attracting many Live users accoss (despite being better than Live IMHO) and I suspect the thought of subscription is putting of new users.

Those of us that already know BWS will probably subscribe to get a new version at some point as it’s our DAW, but is it putting off new users?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Bitwig”