2018_13-001 ...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

part of a project , under construction ...
trying out some new mixing techniques ; wanted to run this up the flagpole ,
to see if anyone would want to pull it down , and burn it in protest ...

it's a .flac file ...

fls
aalto
reaktor

2018 13 001

I see you went to the Vurt school of music. LOL.

All kidding aside, I have a real hard time evaluating stuff like this. Ironically, I'd like to be able to do stuff like this but my brain just doesn't think this way and I just can't relate. Sounds like somebody dialing a futuristic telephone. The low scratching noises (whatever they are) sound like they could use a little bottom end EQ but who knows.

Had to scrap my rating system for this one cause, you know, no clue.

Works for me. I would probably cut some boom off the later appearing so-called future phone tones but that's just me. I would not change the disturbing crumpling of the extradimensional sheet of paper universe bit. I had a notion of it being back-to-front if it were up to me but I changed my mind. Right after I got the distinct idea 'it would be great if you started a long fade out right here' there was the long fade out.

At less than top volume I would find this quite restful or in that transition from conscious thought to where thoughts make only that kind of messed-up sense of dreams.

wagtunes wrote: Had to scrap my rating system
and that's a good thing

:D

jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Had to scrap my rating system
and that's a good thing

:D
I'm cursed with a half artistic half mathematical personality. If I don't have some concrete way to evaluate something I have a hard time expressing my feelings about it. Describing music, for me, beyond terms like beautiful, exciting, dull, boring or whatever, is extremely hard, especially when trying to critique abstract or complex pieces of music. And with really odd sounding pieces, or at least pieces that you have trouble relating to because you've heard so few pieces like them, what can you say other than I liked it or I didn't like it? Not very useful to the composer.

Ultimately, isn't that what we're trying to do here? Be helpful to the people making these creations? I mean they're not posting these things for their health. At least I don't think they are. I think they'd like to get some kind of helpful feedback. I liked it, didn't like it, isn't very helpful.

So I try to fall back on my math and computer science background (thank God I had that to fall back on or I would have starved to death trying to do music for a living) in order to provide that kind of feedback to the person. With this track, I'm at a total loss. It's just way over my head artistically.

R2D2 live at the Acropolis :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

wagtunes wrote: I mean they're not posting these things for their health.
I am. I mean, sometimes like originally with Nuages 1, I knew it was dodgy and it was dodgier than I knew! There was clipping, one said. I knew it was distorted. It still is! Clipping in the one spot was true. It was better off not clipped but the 'the highs are pushing the edge of discomfort' is subjective. Once I ultimately thought it wasn't nearly enough highs regardless of seeing that.

Describing music is pretty useless if you ask me. So, and this can be just me, I don't critique someone else's composition. It's none of my business. If I think it simply is not good on this count, I'm not likely to remark on it.
Who cares what I think. So, in rare cases there's a question. And I might f**k that up too!

jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I mean they're not posting these things for their health.
I am. I mean, sometimes like originally with Nuages 1, I knew it was dodgy and it was dodgier than I knew! There was clipping, one said. I knew it was distorted. It still is! Clipping in the one spot was true. It was better off not clipped but the 'the highs are pushing the edge of discomfort' is subjective. Once I ultimately thought it wasn't nearly enough highs regardless of seeing that.

Describing music is pretty useless if you ask me. So, and this can be just me, I don't critique someone else's composition. It's none of my business. If I think it simply is not good on this count, I'm not likely to remark on it.
Who cares what I think. So, in rare cases there's a question. And I might f**k that up too!
Well, then what exactly IS the point of all this?

It looks like teh crow was talking about their mix ideas. It isn't my track so the point for me was to find agreement and yes, to say I like it. And some commentary just for filler.

Did you find that methodology hit a wall here when you couldn't relate? I don't assume people care what I think to where I'd make that kind of a checklist. And I was really just poking a bit of friendly fun at it, it's no skin off my anything.

I will say this seriously, though, someone makes something this bold they probably are not quite needing the kind of approbation some definitely do. This goes back to the Silke controversy/thread where we found some seem to believe everybody posts here for the same reason, to get a critique.

jancivil wrote:It looks like teh crow was talking about their mix ideas. It isn't my track so the point for me was to find agreement and yes, to say I like it. And some commentary just for filler.

Did you find that methodology hit a wall here when you couldn't relate? I don't assume people care what I think to where I'd make that kind of a checklist. And I was really just poking a bit of friendly fun at it, it's no skin off my anything.

I will say this seriously, though, someone makes something this bold they probably are not quite needing the kind of approbation some definitely do. This goes back to the Silke controversy/thread where we found some seem to believe everybody posts here for the same reason, to get a critique.
I guess that is the assumption I am under that those who post here would like some kind of feedback. I don't get a hell of a lot of it but let me tell you, when I do, I REALLY appreciate it. Otherwise, why do I bother? I don't need to post my tracks here for me to hear 'em. I can do that on my Windows Media Player. But yeah, it's nice when somebody says, hell, anything. Because anything is still better than total silence.

But maybe that's just me. Maybe nobody else gives a crap if people comment on their stuff. I don't know. I grew up during an era when you played something for somebody and they said something about it. There was some kind of feedback, even if it was just one word like "cool." At the time, when my friends would say stuff like "That's really bad" I didn't realize how great that was because had I had the wisdom to be able to take that feedback and try to get a little deeper analysis, I might have improved faster than I did and not take 40 years to at least sound decent.

So yeah, if I post something and somebody makes a comment. I'm grateful.

I can't speak for everybody else, obviously.

wagtunes wrote: I guess that is the assumption I am under that those who post here would like some kind of feedback.
I said essentially this -
wagtunes wrote:"cool."
- here. And I did say in discussion that I don't know if everybody is looking for critique.
wagtunes wrote:Because anything is still better than total silence.
Well for me, some nonsense done sheerly disguised as a critique is not. What if their whole trip is to tear you down?

It's rare here, but it has happened. As far as real criticism, I don't actually recall getting anything else at school, there were no strokes just to give strokes that's for sure. This may be music school for some, but it isn't for me. That can be, again, just me if need be.

But let's keep this one on top because I think it's good! :D

jancivil wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I guess that is the assumption I am under that those who post here would like some kind of feedback.
I said essentially this -
wagtunes wrote:"cool."
- here. And I did say in discussion that I don't know if everybody is looking for critique.
wagtunes wrote:Because anything is still better than total silence.
Well for me, some nonsense done sheerly disguised as a critique is not. What if their whole trip is to tear you down?

It's rare here, but it has happened. As far as real criticism, I don't actually recall getting anything else at school, there were no strokes just to give strokes that's for sure. This may be music school for some, but it isn't for me. That can be, again, just me if need be.

But let's keep this one on top because I think it's good! :D
That's what I loved about my music courses in college. You got real honest feedback. Here, you don't know if somebody is being nice to you because, well, for whatever reason or if they're tearing the crap out of your stuff because they're just plain jerks. That's why I try to be as honest as I can with my comments. And I've found that some people don't handle honesty well at all. But that's another can of worms.

I don't emotionally understand all of your music but I have enough of a technical understanding of it to recognize that it's well crafted in that school. So I can comment on that level. Sometimes, that's the best I can do, which I feel is still better than just saying nothing. But I get it. Some people either prefer nothing or don't care either way. I don't understand that way of thinking but I respect it. We're not all the same. Different cultures alone hand out and receive comments differently. Coming from a Jewish family I can tell you that they wear their hearts on their sleeves and when they love a piece of music there is no way you're not going to know. My mother was the queen of praise. For some people, that took a lot of getting used to as they just stood there staring at her not knowing what to say. Mom was an odd duck.

thanks guys ...

just back from an evening out , and erm , a little worse for wear ...
i'll address some issues , and comment tomorrow ...

:drunk:

wagtunes wrote:I see you went to the Vurt school of music. LOL.
john is one of the handful of members i have met IRL ...
rooms cannot contain him ...
wagtunes wrote:All kidding aside, I have a real hard time evaluating stuff like this. Ironically, I'd like to be able to do stuff like this but my brain just doesn't think this way and I just can't relate.
i appreciate that this is not 'for' everyone ...
that there exists some level of attraction , to you , says a few things ...
i've never been a spy , but i quite like to read john le carre ...
wagtunes wrote: Sounds like somebody dialing a futuristic telephone. The low scratching noises (whatever they are) sound like they could use a little bottom end EQ but who knows.
heh ... the inception of this piece had a dial up modem occupying the space now taken by
the 'low scratching noises' ... that did influence the development of the aalto patch ...
wagtunes wrote:Had to scrap my rating system for this one cause, you know, no clue.
not necessarily a hole for every pigeon , steve ...
i do appreciate that you took the time to listen , and comment ...

jancivil wrote:Works for me. I would probably cut some boom off the later appearing so-called future phone tones but that's just me. I would not change the disturbing crumpling of the extradimensional sheet of paper universe bit. I had a notion of it being back-to-front if it were up to me but I changed my mind. Right after I got the distinct idea 'it would be great if you started a long fade out right here' there was the long fade out.
a good call , i'm thinking ...
aalto really can cut through a mix , and i can't claim to have a handle on it yet ...
jancivil wrote:At less than top volume I would find this quite restful or in that transition from conscious thought to where thoughts make only that kind of messed-up sense of dreams.
thank you ...
i'll wear that badge any day ...

Return to “Music Cafe”