Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
quore_
KVRer

3 posts since 30 Jun, 2018

Postby quore_; Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:27 am Suggestion on this mix?

Hey Guys!
can you help me to improve this less than average mix? I'm struggling with mixing my own music, I lose in objectivity and I don't know how to break the deadlock :?

https://soundcloud.com/projet7daysagogo/track-1/s-NtrPd
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

4483 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:41 am Re: Suggestion on this mix?

Firstoff, really nice song and good to hear a bit of jangle in there! Nice inventive arrangement and good choice of sounds too

Onto the mix...

Everything does sound quite a bit squashed, difficult to tell if it's coming from master limiting or on individual tracks sometimes. For me there's also a bit too much reverb on everything - I'd use it more sparingly to emphasise things rather than as a default - things like acoustic guitars in this type of stuff don't really need it at all usually.

Best advice I can give is to leave it a while then start from the ground up - drums first (they're quite muffled and squashed), then bass, then when that's sounding good, fit everything on the top.
quore_
KVRer

Postby quore_; Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:20 am Re: Suggestion on this mix?

donkey tugger wrote:Firstoff, really nice song and good to hear a bit of jangle in there! Nice inventive arrangement and good choice of sounds too

Onto the mix...

Everything does sound quite a bit squashed, difficult to tell if it's coming from master limiting or on individual tracks sometimes. For me there's also a bit too much reverb on everything - I'd use it more sparingly to emphasise things rather than as a default - things like acoustic guitars in this type of stuff don't really need it at all usually.

hey thank you very much for the feedback! yeah I applied too much compression on master buss I think... and the reverb suggestion is completely to the point: I applied too much on everything! I'll go with less global reverb and try to add more dynamic to the instruments and parts.. try to shine drums more.
what about the vocals? do you think they're too much processed? too much wet? do you think they gel well with the rest?
Rajiv
KVRist

74 posts since 1 Sep, 2006

Postby Rajiv; Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:58 am Re: Suggestion on this mix?

Hi -- I'm not the person you want to take mix advice from. My own mixes are mediocre. But I wanted to let you know that I really really like this song. I personally think the vocals are the stand-out feature, which is what I think you are trying to achieve. The song sounds very good on my headphones, a bit mushy on my computer speakers (not monitors -- speakers). Drums and bass are definitely mushy and need to be worked out. I love the guitars, vocals and the background instruments/noises. The quiet/loud section at about :50 is my favorite part of the song... loved that.

The only (hopefully constructive) thing I would say is right about 2:25 it sounds like you are starting to build again, but it's done with this clicking sound. That sound is way loud and just doesn't fit, IMO. The guitar pattern right before it sounds like you are about to go into a big crescendo... I think you should go to a big drum beat rather than the clicks. That's just my opinion, because, as I said above, I really think this is terrific.

Steve
wagtunes
KVRAF

12376 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:40 am Re: Suggestion on this mix?

My Feedback

Music - 9.5
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8.5
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.75

Comments: I'm not overly picky with this stuff so take my comments with a grain of salt. I love the mix just as it is, Maybe, and I mean MAYBE you could have the lead vocal ticked up a half a db, but that's it. Well done my friend. Really enjoyed listening to this.
quore_
KVRer

Postby quore_; Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:02 am Re: Suggestion on this mix?

Hey guys, really thanks for your comments and feedback, I'm really grateful! Sometimes mixing is a solipsistic operation, you spend so much time on a track and then you listen to it the day after and it seems like crap...you really need a kind of external opinion!

@rajiv thank you very much, this is a really nice tip, effectively the click sound (in reality a really cheap congas loop) it's so useless for the climax and it doesn't lead the impact of the final chorus. I will definitely change this!

@wagtunes thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. So I hope to improve to ten now ;))
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

22495 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:23 am Re: Suggestion on this mix?

Good song & performance, but its swamped with (too much) reverb and compression. The acoustic guitar is too upfront and the drums are lost. Take DTs advice and leave it a while, then go back & remix it with fresh ears. Try to leave some space & dynamics. :)
experimental.crow
KVRAF

5389 posts since 9 Mar, 2003, from The Druid Hills

Postby experimental.crow; Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:34 am Re: Suggestion on this mix?

love the track ...
the mix , not so much ...
comments re: compression and reverb are spot on , imo ...

donkey tugger wrote:... Everything does sound quite a bit squashed, difficult to tell if it's coming from master limiting or on individual tracks sometimes. For me there's also a bit too much reverb on everything - I'd use it more sparingly to emphasise things rather than as a default - things like acoustic guitars in this type of stuff don't really need it at all usually.

Best advice I can give is to leave it a while then start from the ground up - drums first (they're quite muffled and squashed), then bass, then when that's sounding good, fit everything on the top.

this ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:Good song & performance, but its swamped with (too much) reverb and compression. The acoustic guitar is too upfront and the drums are lost. Take DTs advice and leave it a while, then go back & remix it with fresh ears. Try to leave some space & dynamics. :)

this , as well ...

nice work ...
welcome ...
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

4483 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:17 am Re: Suggestion on this mix?

Also, listening to it again I think you've fallen into that trap with the acoustic guitars of over-egging the top end (or cutting too much lower stuff) so they can be heard. Usually, if you've got anywhere near with the recording (which I think you have), for strummed stuff like this you need very little in the way of eq for them usually - a bit of a gentle cut around 300hz if it's too boomy, and a little one around 3khz if you've got a lot of electric guitars like here. I find it's always a lot easier to eq the electrics to fit with the acoustics, rather than the other way round - very easy to ruin a good acoustic recording by fiddling too much, sensitive buggers. :hihi:

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe