New Song - Evolution

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

New to the forums and just wanted to share my latest mix. Feedback and thoughts are much appreciated. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/deefoxx/evolution

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9
Mix - 9.5

Overall - 8.75

Comments: Love the chords and synths on this one. Sounds like a mix of prog and EDM. I really like this. Could probably use a little more melodic development but still well done.

Thanks Wagtunes I really appreciate the feedback!

Any other feedback?

DeeFoxx wrote:Any other feedback?
Don't feel too bad. I've posted 113 tracks in my Wagtunes Corner thread and have gotten about 30 comments total. Some people will get 5 or 6 comments but it's rare for anybody to get more than that. I don't think this sub forum is frequented as much as other sub forums around here.

Hey Wag, do you know of any other good elm forums out there?

DeeFoxx wrote:Hey Wag, do you know of any other good elm forums out there?
Do you mean EDM forums? Not sure what an elm forum is.

Anyway, no. This and Gearslutz are pretty much the only forums I go to and Gearslutz is even deader than this place as far as people listening to other people's music.

@Wagtunes It's because everyone wants people to tell them that their amateur production is great, but no-one wants to go around listening to a bunch of other people's amateur productions.

I listened to your song btw. I like it, but I also have something regarding the dynamic range and the progression of it which I'm not sure about—and I'm very tired—so I'll come back tomorrow and try to come up with something more intelligent then.

Actually maybe it's just down to the style of music. I'm used to the French way of producing house music so maybe I'm just looking at this wrong. the West-coast USA house music I've heard has been more flat in dynamics. What genre is this, again?

Nice track. I enjoy it a lot. Just dancing on the floor.
:tu:

Great work! Sounds good to my ears. Everything sits very well in the mix. Stood at the bar waiting for my drink,head nodding....
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

okay I'm back again.

i love the TONE and the harmonies and the progression and everything, but the song doesn't seem to have any room to breathe in—i should be clear, i'm not talking about 'spatial' mixing like panning and echo, as much as I'm talking about volume over time. as soon as something moves out of the way in the mix, something else moves right in to take its place. there's no… room to grab a breath, no organic shuffle and moment-by-moment interplay. there are only medium-to-long-term changes in mix presence, and everything progresses linearly forward.

i know this would be incredibly gutsy to ask, not to say downright brazen, but I almost wish I could try messing around with the song stems and mixing them myself, because it's so hard for me to explain exactly what i mean. there's no chance, is there?

Hey Sleep I appreciate the feedback and I know what you mean. It's kind of go go go without time for the listener to breathe. I'm not sure how to adjust that at this point unless I change the whole arrangement of the track potentially?

i think the drop at 4:18 should be a different melody with more bass to make it more interesting
overall pretty good though!

I didn't mean you needed to change the arrangement at all, actually!

I didn't think I explained it properly and it turns out I was right. What I'm thinking of is basically down to like… more involved volume automation. Like, I read somewhere that DAWs always lead to slightly more static mixes than physical mixing boards because there's something about physical sliders that "brings out the urge to fiddle" within us. We're always correcting and adjusting and over-shooting and correcting back, and tweaking and pushing, which gives the mix a sort of moment-by-moment transformation depending on instinct and whim and what the mix sounds like at that very second.

I'm still probably not explaining it properly, hahah, sorry.

I should say, again, that I really like the song a lot; this kind of thing is my jam. If I'm using a lot of words it's not because I'm trying to hammer you on this point, it's more like I'm using a lot of words to compensate for my inability to explain simple concepts.

Haha no problem man I appreciate it. I'm about to release my next track so if you have any additional feedback on that I would appreciate it.

Return to “Music Cafe”